For bogomip, discussion of evidence for evolution

bogomip,

You said in the "what would it take" thread that the evidence for evolution was "Not credible evidence, based on too much conjecture, and using our logic of the day to put together the pieces as if there were a prize at the end of puzzle." This leads me to believe that you have perhaps not seen a very comprehensive treatment of the evidence.

I'm not in a position to give a long exposition on the subject, much less a comprehensive one, but I would like to make a start, and I would like to refer you to a very good article from the talkorigins archive. It discusses some of the most compelling evidence in a general way. If you read that, and you are left with more specific questions about the presence, absence, or quality of some specific kind of evidence, then I will try to help fill in. Here's the link:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

That is a very long, five part article, and will probably take you several hours or even a few days to get through, so if you would like to take your time about reading it, and would like to ask other questions in the meantime, I will be here.

The fact is, there are mountains of evidence for evolution. When Darwin first proposed his theory in the late 19th century, it was met with profound scientific skepticism. That skepticism was overcome by the evidence, and by the fortuitous re-discovery of Mendelian genetics in the early 20th century. Although most scientists of the time did not want to accept the theory, they were compelled to accept it by the evidence that accumalated by the beginning of the 1920's. Since then, the evidence has grown dramatically, and numerous opportunities to discover evidence that would falsify evolution have been found. There was no way that scientists could have known for sure that biochemistry would not completely undermine the theory, by showing relationships (or lack of relationships) between organisms that conflict with evolution. Yet, when the data started coming in from biochemical cladistics studys, evolution was strongly confirmed and re-confirmed.

In the early 20th century, there was no way to know whether new fossil finds would continue to reveal the evolutionary patterns in the fossil record. They might well have complemented the other data to show that the history of life was homogeonous and static. They might have shown that the "younger" taxa were really not younger, and that the same kinds of flora and fauna had existed throught the history of life. Instead, the trend of constant extinction of older forms and later appearance of newer forms was confirmed and re-confirmed.

No one knew about pseudogenes when darwinian evolution first came to be accepted. No one even knew about genes. Evolution predicts specific kinds of genetic similarities between related organisms. They have been found in abundance. I'm sure you know that humans and chimpanzees share 98% of their genome. Of course, creationists will tell you that is "similar design for similar function": one of the very few predictions that is the same for creationism and for evolution. But pseudogenes are bits of genetic material that have lost their function due to mutations tell the same story, and since pseudogenes no longer have a function, the design theory cannot apply to them. No one knew that there would be pseudogenes in the genetic material of living things when darwinian evolution was proposed: we could have found that human psuedogenes and chimp pseudogenes were genetically worlds apart. Instead, they were far more similar than we could ever imagine they might be merely by chance.

We even find "fossil evidence" of our common ancestor with the great apes. In this picture, you can see the remains of a "fusion" event, where two chromosomes were spliced together in the human genome leaving us with 23 chromosomes, and the other great apes with 24. Look at the image, read about what it is and what it means at the link posted below (also the source of the image)
hum_ape_chrom_2.gif

http://www.gate.net/~rwms/hum_ape_chrom.html
(with explanation about what it all means!)

In summary, there is just too much evidence to try to lay it all out in one thread here. It is actually overwhelming. Get a start on the link I gave you at the top of this post & by the time we are finished with our discussion, I don't think you will have any more qualms about the availability or quality of evidence for evolution.

:)
Jerry

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The fact is, there are mountains of evidence for evolution.
Yes and with faith we can remove those mountains and put them where they belong.

Mark 11:23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

Isn't it interesting that the Antichrist comes from the sea?

Revelation 13:1 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

He will raise the theory (philosophy) of evolution to its height of glory.

Revelation 13:15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

Then Jesus will come back and pwn them.

Revelation 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,545.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
bogomip,

We even find "fossil evidence" of our common ancestor with the great apes. In this picture, you can see the remains of a "fusion" event, where two chromosomes were spliced together in the human genome leaving us with 23 chromosomes, and the other great apes with 24. Look at the image, read about what it is and what it means at the link posted below (also the source of the image)
hum_ape_chrom_2.gif

actually even according to evolution the fusion event happened in the human lineage. so even according to evolution it cant be evidence for a commondescent. the same problem with pseudogenes. we have found shared pseudogenes that have been lost convergently. so even according to evolution we can find shared pseudogenes without a commondescent.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
actually even according to evolution the fusion event happened in the human lineage. so even according to evolution it cant be evidence for a commondescent. the same problem with pseudogenes. we have found shared pseudogenes that have been lost convergently. so even according to evolution we can find shared pseudogenes without a commondescent.
Did you not read post #3?
Please ignore this 15 year old thread that was bumped by someone with nothing worthwhile to contribute to this subforum.

Upvote 0