Oct 23, 2005
North Carolina
✟16,663.00
Faith
Christian
Ok how do you like these views.

How can you believe in no god if there is proof of some spirit out there.

The reason is there is wege boards. I don't know if i spelled it right, but i think yall know what i am talking about. Idk if you guys believe in those. but I have heard some pretty convincing stories. IF there was no God then there would probaly not be life after death

Osiris

Übermensch
Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
✟4,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
strikerchris0411 said:

How can you believe in evolution if there is proof of some spirit out there.

and the evidence of the spirit is ..... ?

also, you must note, spirits are irrelevant to what evolution has to say... the way you are trying to disprove evolution doesn't follow... it is rather a logical fallacy....

take this as an example:
how can you believe aliens exists if some trees are apple trees?
what do apple trees have to do with whether aliens exist or not?
---------
what does spirits have to do with whether evolution is true or not? :scratch:

also, evolution is a fact, and there is abundant amount of evidence that supports the theory of evolution.

The reason is there is wege boards. I don't know if i spelled it right, but i think yall know what i am talking about.

Quija/Quiji boards...

Idk if you guys believe in those. but I have heard some pretty convincing stories.

Have you heard of El Chupacabra ?
I don't know if you believe in that, but I have heard some preeeetti convincing stories about it... ^_^

IF it were evolution then there would probaly not be life after death

perhaps there isn't , perhaps there is... evolution does not say anything about there being or not being life after death. i think whom ever told you about evolution put little dishonest words while they told you about evolution ... or ... you have some misconceptions about it due to your religious background.

Upvote 0

Osiris

Übermensch
Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
✟4,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
evange said:
What do athiests think of the soul?

well, before we make opinions about such thing, atheists would want to know:

what/where is a soul?

How do you account for it?

we don't....
well, i don't assume souls exist just because the majority of the world thinks souls exists.... (without any evidence)

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2005
North Carolina
✟16,663.00
Faith
Christian
[and the evidence of the spirit is ..... ?

wege boards

also, you must note, spirits are irrelevant to what evolution has to say... the way you are trying to disprove evolution doesn't follow... it is rather a logical fallacy....

Maybe but they are irrevalent as atheists do not believe in life after death i do not think

take this as an example:
how can you believe aliens exists if some trees are apple trees?
what do apple trees have to do with whether aliens exist or not?

But atheists believe we came from other stuff and there is no god or evil but wege boards have given stories from demons.
---------
what does spirits have to do with whether evolution is true or not? :scratch:

I kinda meant as an atheist not as an evolutionist

also, evolution is a fact, and there is abundant amount of evidence that supports the theory of evolution.

nothing is a fact.

I don't know if you believe in that, but I have heard some preeeetti convincing stories about it... ^_^

doesn't have to do with anything

perhaps there isn't , perhaps there is... evolution does not say anything about there being or not being life after death. i think whom ever told you about evolution put little dishonest words while they told you about evolution ... or ... you have some misconceptions about it due to your religious background.

ok then how would tyhere be life after death if we all started as a big bang
?

Upvote 0

FadingWhispers3

Senior Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
✟19,344.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Others

Evolution says nothing about the existence or lack of spirits. Evolution -> Deals with the material universe. Spirits -> Not material.

You say that if there is proof of spirits then there is no reason to believe in evolution. But, the question is flawed. Someone can believe in spirits and also believe in evolution. More to the point, people have.

Evolution has nothing to do with life after death. It is true that many people who do no believe in life after death also believe in evolution, but the reverse is not a necessity.

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2005
North Carolina
✟16,663.00
Faith
Christian
FadingWhispers3 said:

Evolution says nothing about the existence or lack of spirits. Evolution -> Deals with the material universe. Spirits -> Not material.

You say that if there is proof of spirits then there is no reason to believe in evolution. But, the question is flawed. Someone can believe in spirits and also believe in evolution. More to the point, people have.

Evolution has nothing to do with life after death. It is true that many people who do no believe in life after death also believe in evolution, but the reverse is not a necessity.

yeah i am gonna aedit my starting post to atheism

Upvote 0

DhikrAllah

Dec 7, 2005
Ummah
✟259.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
…of Derren Brown? Masterful English ’Psychological Illusionist’. Manipulates people through words alone, along with various other trickeries. Toured America ’converting’ people to Christianity by touch alone and freaked out the religious leaders who witnessed it. All done by subtly planted suggestions and other trickeries of the mind.

He caused a storm in Britain when he performed a live Russian Roulette sequence after picking one person to place the bullet in any chamber of a revolver. Of course he hunted THE most suggestible person and manipulated him into placing the bullet in a specific chamber, all the while making him think he did it of his own free will.

He caused a bigger controversy when he scared people by performing a seance involve students, the equivalent of a ’ouija board’ using a glass to move to various letters, and claims that he would contact a certain dead person. All a hoax: the woman he had the students successfully contact hadn’t died at all, but the participants certainly believed they’d made contact with a spirit of some sort.

Ouija boards and people’s experiences with them does NOT necessarily lead to the conclusion that spirits exist. Anyway, what about the Muslim viewpoint that ’jinns’ really exist? Perhaps what we see as ’spirits’ (and assume represent ghosts of folk who have died) actually refer to a race or species living on earth in a slightly different plane to us?

Upvote 0

KAG

~ Blessed Be
Jul 12, 2005
Room
✟15,881.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
strikerchris0411 said:

It seems I may have missed the proof of any spirit(s) out there. Do you have this "proof" at hand?

The reason is there is wege boards. I don't know if i spelled it right, but i think yall know what i am talking about. Idk if you guys believe in those. but I have heard some pretty convincing stories.

I haven't, so... <shrugs>

IF there was no God then there would probaly not be life after death

Yep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
strikerchris0411 said:

The reason is there is wege boards. I don't know if i spelled it right, but i think yall know what i am talking about. Idk if you guys believe in those. but I have heard some pretty convincing stories. IF there was no God then there would probaly not be life after death
Alrighty, I think I'll play a bit of devil's advocate here.

Argumentum ad Ouija?

This might be an interesting read.

The closest thing I can think of to proof of spirits is Kirlian photography, but even that falls short.

IF there was no God then there would probaly not be life after death.
Why not? If not, why is it important?

Reactions: Veinor
Upvote 0

Osiris

Übermensch
Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
✟4,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
strikerchris0411 said:
wege boards

I've been to Toys R' Us before and seen Quija boards on the shelves, I just didn't know that they were evidence for spirits... what would a Monopoly game or Clue be evidence for? :scratch:

Maybe but they are irrevalent as atheists do not believe in life after death i do not think

no, atheists usually don't belive in life after death... but it is not a rule of thumb... for it is just an opinion and there is no evidence for there being or not being life after death... atheists would not assume that there is life after death, but at the same time would not proclaim that there isn't life after death...

But atheists believe we came from other stuff and there is no god or evil but wege boards have given stories from demons.
---------

what you have is 'hearsay'... you have what other people have heard from other people...

spirits wouldn't disprove atheists, just like america didn't disprove christopher columbus... for if an atheist were to come accross a spirit, he would discover the spirit for the first time...

nothing is a fact.

nothing is a fact? so, it is not certain that 1+1 equals 2?

perhaps not the topic... but how you are trying to prove Quija boards is the same way I was trying to prove El Chupacabras exists.... =\

?

Again, how is the big bang, relevant to whether there is life after death?

Upvote 0

EvoDan

Sep 22, 2005
Auburn, California
✟8,693.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
strikerchris0411 said:
How can you believe in no god if there is proof of some spirit out there...The reason is there is wege boards...
Ouija boards are NOT evidence of the supernatural, but they provide a superb metaphor for rebuttal. Listen carefully: Anytime you are watching an activity in which a human has stuck his or her fingers (like a Ouija board, or the Bible) you can pretty much rule out the supernatural.
...but I have heard some pretty convincing stories.
Harry Potter is a pretty convincing story too, but its fiction.
... IF there was no God then there would probaly not be life after death..
There you go! Now you're catching on!

Upvote 0

Mumbles

Minor Villain
Aug 21, 2004
US
✟8,880.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
strikerchris0411 said:

The reason is there is wege boards. I don't know if i spelled it right, but i think yall know what i am talking about.

1: AS others have said, this is the wrong board for this, as it has nothing much to do with evolution.*

2: Belief in spirits does *not* require belief in gods, so you're addressing the wrong group, or confused.

3: I've never seen a Ouiji board that actually did as claimed. Nor have I ever seen a ghost in a "haunted" house, caught a leprechaun, felt a god in my heart, and we can go on.

Evange said:
What do athiests think of the soul? How do you account for it?

I see no need to account for one, as I see no reason to think that they exist to begin with.

(* I've been working to hard. I don't even know where I am!)

Upvote 0

MewtwoX

Veteran
Dec 11, 2005
Ontario, Canada
✟9,746.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
strikerchris0411 said:
wege boards

Check out Skeptics dictionary, they provide an accurate reasoning behind the Ouija board "events". (EDIT: I hate not being able to post links...)

strikerchris0411 said:

Usually they don't believe in life after death. There are other branches of religion besides Theism you know... Monism, Animism, etc. I'm more of a Methodological Netualist myself.

strikerchris0411 said:

Well, it sounds like you said there is no Good and Evil. Morality is still tenable for an Atheistic worldview (REFER: Alonzo's Desire Utilitarianism). Also, those stories of Ouija boards aren't very reliable. Have you ever tried using one of those blindfolded? You get gibberish. As I said before, SKeptics Dictionary shows the accepted phenomena responsible for Ouija events.

strikerchris0411 said:

strikerchris0411 said:
nothing is a fact.

This sounds like you're falling into universal skepticism, but such a theory has it weaknesses as well...

strikerchris0411 said:

Actually, I think it does have relevance to the frame of the question your asking. He's showing the fault of the question by example.

strikerchris0411 said:
?

1. Not all Atheists accept the Big Bang Theory.
2. Not al Atheists are Methodological Naturalists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

psychedelicist

aka the Akhashic Record Player
Aug 9, 2004
McKinney, Texas
✟18,251.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship

Spirits don't necessarily mean that a god exists, assuming spirits themselves exist. An interesting theory, that you might want to read up on is about these little things called morphic fields. It doesn't have much backing or evidence, obviously, but it does show how a soul-like object could exist without needing a god.

Besides that we'll need some better proof that spirits exist outside of ouija boards.

I highly doubt there are spirits just hanging around waiting for me to whip out a ouija board so they can talk to me. At any rate, the pointer on the board can just as easily be moved by the people's hands without them realizing it. By subconciously influencing the pointer they can easily trick themselves into thinking the board told them exactly what they wanted to hear, or what they expected to hear.

Upvote 0

peepnklown

rabbi peepnklown
Jun 17, 2005
California
Visit site
✟23,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
striker said:
How can you believe in no god if there is proof of some spirit out there?
Did you forget to provide the evidence or should we do your homework for you?

striker said:
The reason is there are weegie boards. I don't know if I spelled it right, but I think yall know what I am talking about. Idk if you guys believe in those. But I have heard some pretty convincing stories.
I am pretty sure people have heard “pretty convincing stories” about dragons but without empirical evidence, should I believe?

striker said:
IF there was no God then there would probably not be life after death
May be, I personally don’t believe in an afterlife.

Upvote 0

Fuzzy

One by Four by Nine
Aug 12, 2004
✟17,214.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
strikerchris0411 said:
wege boards
Ouija or Ouiji. "Wege" is a pretzel company in Pennsylvania.

strikerchris0411 said:
nothing is a fact.
Yet you're trying to assert proof of a post-mortem spiritual existence, with no tangible, quantifiable evidence.

strikerchris0411 said:
?

The "Big Bang" theory and the notion of an afterlife are not mutually exclusive concepts. Georges Lemaitre (Belgian Catholic priest and MIT PhD) developed the progressive space theory in 1933, which led to the "big bang" and "big crunch" theories later.

The notion of a creator god and the big bang aren't necessarily exlusive.
The creator god makes the primordial particle, the particle does what it's supposed to do, and the universe ebbs and flows. The "God-as-watchmaker" view I've seen attributed to 18th century Deism is along those lines. God makes everything and lets it run on its own.

The notion of a creator god and the big bang aren't necesarily mutually dependent, either. The primordial particle just has to exist.

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
strikerchris0411 said:

How can you believe in no god

Ahh, they get'em young.

if there is proof of some spirit out there.

I don't know that there is a spirit out there. As to the Quija board, a lot of people say a lot of things, but that doesn't make them true.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
evange said:
Yes, I have a similar question, but I didn't want to make a thread about it.

What do athiests think of the soul? How do you account for it?

I don't account for it. You just assume there is a soul. I would like to see evidence of something before I believe it exists.

Upvote 0