• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

For All Those Who Suffer from Religious OCD/ Scrupulosity

teairrah

Dec 15, 2010
✟7,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have had Religious OCD/ Scrupulosity symptoms since I was a teenager (I’m now 32) and I can truly say that day by day, those heavy chains of doom that OCD brings are falling off and it is because of the life-changing Word of God!!!!

My pastor gave me an assignment a couple years ago. He wanted me to pinpoint the area(s) in my life that I needed deliverance in then study the bible to find the truth of God’s word concerning those issues and meditate on those scriptures every chance I got. My focus was healing from OCD. I took a sheet a paper, folded it in half and wrote the religious OCD symptoms that were plaguing my life on one side and scriptures that addressed those problems on the other side. It was life changing for me. God has since then revealed so much more to me as it relates to this illness and I just want to share some of it with you all (sorry for all the reading)

• I know that some people might have an issue accepting this, but I had to realize that God DEEPLY loves me (1 John 4:10), He is not angry with me (Hebrews 8:12) and He is NOT inflicting me with this illness (James 1:17 and Galatians 5:7, 8). I didn’t understand that my faulty view of God was producing within me fear, guilt, and hostility towards Him which was just the right fuel to continue igniting the flames of OCD.
  • God showed me that my low self esteem was also playing a key factor in my constant ordeal with religious OCD symptoms. There was apart of me that thought I deserved torment and didn’t deserve to have peace. There were times when I would be happy about something and my mind would be at rest, then all of a sudden I would conjure up some bad thought or a bad thought would just pop into my mind that would kick the OCD cycle into full gear. Having the OCD symptoms caused further damage to my self esteem as I began to view myself as a horrible and disgusting person because of the thoughts I was having. I was bound so much by this illness that I actually was comfortable being uncomfortable.
  • My mom does not experience OCD symptoms so I asked her what she does when she have an unwanted thought and she told me that she just ignores it and thinks of something else. God has shown me that the only difference between OCD sufferers and non OCD suffers is PERCEPTION of the circumstance (Numbers 13:33 and Numbers 14: 1-9). It wasn’t the OCD that defeated me; it was my perception of the thoughts that entered my mind. The moment I labeled a thought as harmful to me or a threat to my salvation/relationship with God, I felt doom and distress and performed some kind of ritual to get rid of the thought. As much as I would try to think of something else, the thought would constantly reoccur and my entire day (sometimes days and weeks) would be dominated by fear of the recurring thought and being sensitive to the slightess thing that might spark its return (I had gotten to a point of omitting certain words or vowels from my vocabulary and even was mindful of how I yawned, in fear that it would sound like something I was trying desperately to ignore)
  • Over the past few months, God has constantly been showing me the word rest. I will talk more about this in the next thread.

Chance7

Jan 18, 2018
Northern Cambria
✟23,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That’s me. That’s me exactly. Down to a pinpoint, even the yawning thing. The vowels thing. The obsessive condemning thoughts, everything. I never thought I would find another person with this. Can you please tell me more? God bless you richly for sharing this.

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That’s me. That’s me exactly. Down to a pinpoint, even the yawning thing. The vowels thing. The obsessive condemning thoughts, everything. I never thought I would find another person with this. Can you please tell me more? God bless you richly for sharing this.
Hi, I have scrupulosity and it's really hard to deal with, if you ever want to talk you can pm me. God bless you and Jesus is our Lord and Savior.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like you have OCD. Have you ever been diagnosed with it? There are LOTS of resources to help people with OCD, and there is definitely hope for overcoming it (maybe not complete healing, but being able to manage it well). I can point you in the direction of some great resources if you're interested in learning more!

Upvote 0