For All The "Contraception Is Okay Because +Kallistos And The GOARCH Says So" Crowd..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your title bothers me. It seems lately, the past few weeks, attacks have been on my Church's Archdiocese and the particular ethnicity of my church. It is hurtful, and I wish it would stop.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2008
✟15,580.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You know, I may not agree with some of Bishop Ware's views as portrayed in that article, but ad hom arguments are weak. Just because you, or I, individual people within Christ's Body, happen to disagree with some things said by a revered spiritual leader, does not mean that

a. we are right and he is wrong.

or

b. That his other teachings are invalidated and not beneficial to me, because of this.

Frankly, I find this to be a thread started with a "more Orthodox than thou" attitude and this is not the way we should approach any issue in the Church.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I guess I missed something but my reading of the article shows a Bishop who expresses the teaching of the church.

I saw nothing in that article about contraception.

I am from a conservative OCA parish and I have been taught by my spiritual father that contraception is a decision that is made in the context of each particular marriage and circumstances. At times it is appropriate and at other times it is not.

This is why Priests and Bishops are in charge of applying the canons of the Church. This is why EO people have Spiritual Fathers and don't interpret everything for their own self.

I love all of the EO Church. I have great respect for Bishop Kallistos and have learned much from his writings. If find the GOARCH website to be very helpful to my learning more about the faith. I also have read on the GOARCH website that contraception is not "Ok" but that one should discuss such matters with one's individual Priest.

If you decide you want to change the title of this thread, just send me or Hoankan a pm with the request and we can change it for you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.