May 16, 2015
✟119,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Also, it would not have been Shavuot since that holy day did not exist until Israel entered the land.
Are you saying that orthodox Judaism (e.g. Rabbinc Judaism) doesn't recognize the counting of the 50 days of Omer (Feast of Weeks -- barley to wheat) as akin to the time transpiring from the day when the Israelites left Egypt to the day when Moshe received the Ten Commandments of stone on Mt Sinai (Horeb).

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟119,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship

The quote does use the words Shavout. He says it was called the Feast of Weeks. The relatively modern name is your input, not his.
The Feast of Weeks seems misleading as it implies a Feast of 7 weeks (49 days). Does Rabbinic Judaism even know for sure if all males had to be in Jerusalem before the 50th day and the Firstfruits celebration of the wheat harvest known as the Feast of Shavuot.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The quote does not use the words Shavout. He says it was called the Feast of Weeks. The relatively modern name is your input, not his. It is mentioned in 2 Maccabees 12:31-32 and Tobias 2:1 but not in connection with the findings in the OP.
The name of the Feast is irrelevant. Reread my post and substitute "the Feast of Weeks" for "Shavuot". Then you will understand the points I made.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you want to read the quote in context read Roland de Vaux, Ancient Israel; its Life and Institutions Darton, Longman & Todd. pp 493 to 495. It is a classical history of the Land and its times.

Or if you are too busy, this comes from a simple Wikipedia search:
The Book of Jubilees and the Essenes
This literal interpretation of 'Shabbat' as the weekly Shabbat, was shared by the 2nd-century BCE author of the Book of Jubilees who was motivated by the priestly sabbatical solar calendar of the 3rd and 2nd centuries BCE, which was designed to have festivals and Sabbaths fall on the same day of the week every year. On this calendar (best known from the Book of Luminaries in 1 Enoch), Shavuot fell on the 15th of Sivan, a Sunday. The date was reckoned fifty days from the first Sabbath after Passover (i.e. from the 25th of Nisan). Thus, Jub. 1:1 claims that Moses ascended Mount Sinai to receive the Torah "on the sixteenth day of the third month in the first year of the Exodus of the children of Israel from Egypt".

In Jub. 6:15–22 and 44:1–5, the holiday is traced to the appearance of the first rainbow on the 15th of Sivan, the day on which God made his covenant with Noah.

The Qumran community, commonly associated with the Essenes, held in its library several texts mentioning Shavuot, most notably a Hebrew original of the Book of Jubilees, which sought to fix the celebration of this Feast of Weeks on 15 of Sivan, following their interpretation of Exodus 19:1.

Joseph Fitzmyer Responses to 101 questions on the Dead Sea scrolls 1992 p. 87 – "Particularly important for the Qumran community was the celebration of this Feast of Weeks on III/15, because according to Ex. 19:1 Israel arrived in its exodus-wandering at Mt. Sinai in the third month after leaving Egypt. Later the renewal of the Covenant came to be celebrated on the Feast of Weeks (see Jubilees). Qumran community was deeply researched by Flavius Josephus."
Please explain what it is you believe and what it is you want to discuss. I do not believe in a strictly solar calendar. Therefore, the Feast of weeks doesn't fall on the 15th day of the 3rd month.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying that orthodox Judaism (e.g. Rabbinc Judaism) doesn't recognize the counting of the 50 days of Omer (Feast of Weeks -- barley to wheat) as akin to the time transpiring from the day when the Israelites left Egypt to the day when Moshe received the Ten Commandments of stone on Mt Sinai (Horeb).
I'm sure they do. What I am saying is that Shavuot (the Feast of Weeks) was commanded at Sinai, but was not commanded for the Israelites to keep until they entered the land (Leviticus 23:10 & 15).

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Feast of Weeks seems misleading as it implies a Feast of 7 weeks (49 days). Does Rabbinic Judaism even know for sure if all males had to be in Jerusalem before the 50th day and the Firstfruits celebration of the wheat harvest known as the Feast of Shavuot.
The "Feast of Weeks" refers to one day, the 50th day from when the wave sheaf was offered. It bears that name because 7 weeks were counted to get to it (Exodus 34:22; Deuteronomy 16:9-10).

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The "Feast of Weeks" refers to one day, the 50th day from when the wave sheaf was offered. It bears that name because 7 weeks were counted to get to it (Exodus 34:22; Deuteronomy 16:9-10).

Forget it. I don't know if you are trying to be obtuse or what!

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Forget it. I don't know if you are trying to be obtuse or what!
My reply was to AbbaLove. I know you can't see his posts, but can you not even see when I quote him in my post? If not, I will try to preface my replies to him with "AbbaLove ..." Post #24 was for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0