Jan 12, 2007
✟134,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
otoh, my first priest told me that if I'm reading the fine print I'm doing it wrong.
Your priest is absolutely right and I wish more priests would share this message.

One of my coworkers noticed that I was eating a lot of seafood lately or just stuff without meat and he asked what that was about out of genuine concern (if THAT doesn't give away my normal diet, I don't know what does). I simply said that it is Orthodox Lent and I'm avoid meat. A little while later another coworker offered some sour gummy worms which I accepted and the first guy tried to make a big deal of it saying "oh but that has gelatin in it and that's animal product which is meat!" I responded as diplomatically as I could explaining that it doesn't work that way, we're not pharisees about it and that the most important thing with the fast isn't blind obedience to it, but the sincerity of our efforts and how well we treat people in spite of our crabbiness brought on by a lack of good food. We actually had a good chat afterwards about how the Orthodox, Catholic, and Muslim fasts differ and he hasn't tried to be a pain about it since. Good times.

That all said, I could give my kingdom for some chicken panang curry. Thankfully my usual Thai place also has shrimp curry, so I should survive the next few weeks.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A little while later another coworker offered some sour gummy worms which I accepted and the first guy tried to make a big deal of it saying "oh but that has gelatin in it and that's animal product which is meat!" I responded as diplomatically as I could explaining that it doesn't work that way, we're not pharisees about it and that the most important thing with the fast isn't blind obedience to it, but the sincerity of our efforts and how well we treat people in spite of our crabbiness brought on by a lack of good food.
when at seminary a priest told me if something is given in kindness, it’s always Lenten.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's a great way of putting it!
there was a RC priest named Fr Art who always brought doughnuts when he showed up, and it was always on a Friday. this was the mic drop response to some of our more legalistic folks.

plus, Fr Sergius would walk in, go “Oohh, DOUGHNUTS!!!” and take a massive bite before thanking Fr Art.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟134,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
when at seminary a priest told me if something is given in kindness, it’s always Lenten.
The priest who christmated me, a St Tikhon's alumnus, had said something similar adding that it is more important to be a good guest and not scandalize one's host. Then to be a little more strict in some way the next day.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The priest who christmated me, a St Tikhon's alumnus, had said something similar adding that it is more important to be a good guest and not scandalize one's host. Then to be a little more strict in some way the next day.
yep, and if someone gives you something non-Lenten, accept it with thanksgiving.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I would just say that, if one's in a position where getting fast food is the reasonable thing to do, the impossible whopper does feel like penance.

As a related aside, though: getting fasting food from Taco Bell is surprisingly healthy, just beans and vegetables and maybe a tortilla, though I'm sure the mandatory Baja Blast negates any possible benefit...

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I mean, like I tell my Russian friends when describing Arabic fasting food; just because we're fasting doesn't mean our palette has to suffer as well ;)
it’s like a Lebanese friend from college, who once gave me his taita’s scratch made, vegan falafel. I missed the point of the fast with that one.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do part time janitor work on the side at our parish & found a door dash delivery from Panera by the doors of our social hall entrance. It had been there untouched for 24 hours in cold weather so it was edible. There was a chicken & lettuce sandwich, chicken rice soup, & bread ( $18.50! per the receipt). It seemed the only alternative was to waste the food so I ate it despite my misgivings about breaking Lenten fast.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do part time janitor work on the side at our parish & found a door dash delivery from Panera by the doors of our social hall entrance. It had been there untouched for 24 hours in cold weather so it was edible. There was a chicken & lettuce sandwich, chicken rice soup, & bread ( $18.50! per the receipt). It seemed the only alternative was to waste the food so I ate it despite my misgivings about breaking Lenten fast.

sometimes it’s the same for me in the Army, especially when in the field.

• Informative
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh dear - the longing for CHEESE has really him me tonight :(

I'm coping reasonably well for the first course of my evening meal - but I'm really craving cheese and biccies afterwards
almost done

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,232.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ice cream cravings have been hitting me recently.
The weather is cooling off in the Southern Hemisphere, so that isn't a craving that is hitting us here in Oz. I have had the odd craving for a beer during the week, but it is just a matter of holding off for the weekend.
We had struggled to find Lima beans in the usual shops, as that is one of our standard go to's during the fasts, but finally found a supplier and stocked up.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The weather is cooling off in the Southern Hemisphere, so that isn't a craving that is hitting us here in Oz.
this is gonna sound weird, but I get ice cream cravings more during the Nativity Fast, when it’s cooling up here.

Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Now that's a new one on me :) I'll admit to having a tub of a fruit sorbet in the freezer so I can have a little if I want something sweet and cold - so far I've not needed it this time
good call

Upvote 0