Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This is more of a budgetary question than a culinary question.

What percentage of your monthly take home pay do you spend on food?
How many people are in your household?

I've got a pregnant wife and three kids. I spend about 32% of my monthly take-home pay on food!

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Food prices are crazy. I used to get game from my dad and brother but this year wasn't so good. I find myself getting sick every time we buy food. I honestly don't know how those near the poverty line do it.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't mind the prices so much. I'm just amazed at how quickly our family consumes food. It's our largest line item in our budget and I feel like we never have any food in our house.
I have 5 children. The oldest 4 are boys. The oldest was married in May. That helped our consumption rate, but you can definitely tell when growth spurts are happening.
The oldest at home is 17. He is 6'4" and around 230lbs (muscle). We're glad the next one down is just 11.

• Haha
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
This is more of a budgetary question than a culinary question.

What percentage of your monthly take home pay do you spend on food?
How many people are in your household?

I've got a pregnant wife and three kids. I spend about 32% of my monthly take-home pay on food!
SMILE SMILE SMILE SMILE SMILE SMILE SMILE LEAP LEAP LEAP FOR JOY JOYOUSLY EXTRAVAGANTLY JOYOUSLY ETERNALLY JOYOUSLY !!!!
Look what I "ran into" searching biblegateway >>>>>>>>>>>
(THIS IS WONDERFUL ! )
>>>>>>>>>>>>> (kind of long) >>>>>>>
13 Bible results for “manna.” Showing results 1-13.

Suggested result
Exodus 16 [Full Chapter]
On the fifteenth day of the second month after they had left Egypt, the whole company of Israel moved on from Elim to the Wilderness of Sin which is between Elim and Sinai. The whole company of Israel complained against Moses and Aaron there in the wilderness. The Israelites said, “Why didn’t God let us die in comfort in Egypt where we had lamb stew and all the bread we could eat? You’ve brought us out into this wilderness to starve us to death, the whole company of Israel!” ...
Bible search results
Exodus 16:31
The Israelites named it manna (What is it?). It looked like coriander seed, whitish. And it tasted like a cracker with honey.
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations

Exodus 16:33
Moses told Aaron, “Take a jar and fill it with two quarts of manna. Place it before God, keeping it safe for future generations.”
Exodus 16:35
The Israelites ate the manna for forty years until they arrived at the land where they would settle down. They ate manna until they reached the border into Canaan.

Numbers 11:4-6
[ Camp Kibroth Hattaavah ] The riffraff among the people had a craving and soon they had the People of Israel whining, “Why can’t we have meat? We ate fish in Egypt—and got it free!—to say nothing of the cucumbers and melons, the leeks and onions and garlic. But nothing tastes good out here; all we get is manna, manna, manna.”

Numbers 11:7-9
Manna was a seedlike substance with a shiny appearance like resin. The people went around collecting it and ground it between stones or pounded it fine in a mortar. Then they boiled it in a pot and shaped it into cakes. It tasted like a delicacy cooked in olive oil. When the dew fell on the camp at night, the manna was right there with it.

Deuteronomy 8:1-5
Keep and live out the entire commandment that I’m commanding you today so that you’ll live and prosper and enter and own the land that God promised to your ancestors. Remember every road that God led you on for those forty years in the wilderness, pushing you to your limits, testing you so that he would know what you were made of, whether you would keep his commandments or not. He put you through hard times. He made you go hungry. Then he fed you with manna, something neither you nor your parents knew anything about, so you would learn that men and women don’t live by bread only; we live by every word that comes from God’s mouth. Your clothes didn’t wear out and your feet didn’t blister those forty years. You learned deep in your heart that God disciplines you in the same ways a father disciplines his child.

Deuteronomy 8:11-16
Make sure you don’t forget God, your God, by not keeping his commandments, his rules and regulations that I command you today. Make sure that when you eat and are satisfied, build pleasant houses and settle in, see your herds and flocks flourish and more and more money come in, watch your standard of living going up and up—make sure you don’t become so full of yourself and your things that you forget God, your God, the God who delivered you from Egyptian slavery; the God who led you through that huge and fearsome wilderness, those desolate, arid badlands crawling with fiery snakes and scorpions; the God who gave you water gushing from hard rock; the God who gave you manna to eat in the wilderness, something your ancestors had never heard of, in order to give you a taste of the hard life, to test you so that you would be prepared to live well in the days ahead of you.

Joshua 5:11-12
Right away, the day after the Passover, they started eating the produce of that country, unraised bread and roasted grain. And then no more manna; the manna stopped. As soon as they started eating food grown in the land, there was no more manna for the People of Israel. That year they ate from the crops of Canaan.

Nehemiah 9:20-23
You gave them your good Spirit to teach them to live wisely. You never stinted with your manna, gave them plenty of water to drink. You supported them forty years in that desert; they had everything they needed; Their clothes didn’t wear out and their feet never blistered. You gave them kingdoms and peoples, establishing generous boundaries. They took over the country of Sihon king of Heshbon and the country of Og king of Bashan. You multiplied children for them, rivaling the stars in the night skies, And you brought them into the land that you promised their ancestors they would get and own.

Psalm 78:21-31
When God heard that, he was furious— his anger flared against Jacob, he lost his temper with Israel. It was clear they didn’t believe God, had no intention of trusting in his help. But God helped them anyway, commanded the clouds and gave orders that opened the gates of heaven. He rained down showers of manna to eat, he gave them the Bread of Heaven. They ate the bread of the mighty angels; he sent them all the food they could eat. He let East Wind break loose from the skies, gave a strong push to South Wind. This time it was birds that rained down— succulent birds, an abundance of birds. He aimed them right for the center of their camp; all round their tents there were birds. They ate and had their fill; he handed them everything they craved on a platter. But their greed knew no bounds; they stuffed their mouths with more and more. Finally, God was fed up, his anger erupted— he cut down their brightest and best, he laid low Israel’s finest young men.

John 6:47-51
“I’m telling you the most solemn and sober truth now: Whoever believes in me has real life, eternal life. I am the Bread of Life. Your ancestors ate the manna bread in the desert and died. But now here is Bread that truly comes down out of heaven. Anyone eating this Bread will not die, ever. I am the Bread—living Bread!—who came down out of heaven. Anyone who eats this Bread will live—and forever! The Bread that I present to the world so that it can eat and live is myself, this flesh-and-blood self.”

Hebrews 9:1-5
[ A Visible Parable ] That first plan contained directions for worship, and a specially designed place of worship. A large outer tent was set up. The lampstand, the table, and “the bread of presence” were placed in it. This was called “the Holy Place.” Then a curtain was stretched, and behind it a smaller, inside tent set up. This was called “the Holy of Holies.” In it were placed the gold incense altar and the gold-covered ark of the covenant containing the gold urn of manna, Aaron’s rod that budded, the covenant tablets, and the angel-wing-shadowed mercy seat. But we don’t have time to comment on these now.

Revelation 2:17
“Are your ears awake? Listen. Listen to the Wind Words, the Spirit blowing through the churches. I’ll give the sacred manna to every conqueror; I’ll also give a clear, smooth stone inscribed with your new name, your secret new name.”
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

Upvote 0

JenniferLW

Mar 4, 2015
✟11,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,
Just wanted to offer a suggestion. I went vegetarian about 5 years ago and I'm continually amazed at how much less I spend on groceries. My husband still eats meat but has cut back to eating it usually one meal a day. I know this isn't for everyone but I have to say that I feel really great. I'm 51 and my dr. is impressed with my overall health and weight and he told my husband, 55, he would trade cholesterol numbers with him in a minute. Our dr. is younger than both of us. This is just something to consider and it's not something you would just want to jump in to without researching for yourself. But, I have to say that fact that we not only are saving money every month but even more importantly are healthier than we were 5 years ago is HUGE to me. I hope you find a solution that works for you and your family.
Blessings, Jennifer

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I am a single mom with two teenage boys. I have made cheap grocery shopping a work of art. There have been times I have bought a whole week of groceries for 30.00. We were not eating well, but we had enough meals to get between pay days, sometimes just exactly enough. There were a few times that it wasn't enough to fill them up, but they never missed a meal completely.

When I feel like I can spend better on food, I can easily drop 150.00-200.00 a week. This does not happen often.

Most times I probably spend between 75.00 and 100.00 per week.

Upvote 0