Peoria
✟9,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello friends, my wife and I have been on quite a journey with our littlest (15 months old). Quick recap:

Henry was diagnosed with severe acid reflux AT birth. He could not keep food down and continuing to projectile like spit up until he was about 9 months old. We got it under control (ish) at about 7 months with a dosage of 20 mg of Nexium per day (some adults take that kind of dosage). Due to his feeding issues, we were behind on getting him to do babyfood etc.

At about 9 months old we stared with pureed food and he would not take it - he'd cover his face and cry from hunger. We tried everything we could think of and could not get him to consistently eat any real food.

We took him to a speech therapist who has diagnosed him with a feeding aversion. He has had about 5 apps and we have made some big strides from where he was originally, but every day is a long, hard battle.

At this point we have discovered that his aversions are texture based (predominatly). If the food is crunchy, he is 80% more likely to try it than if not. This is his diet at this point:
Apple Slices
Freeze Dried Strawberries ( he will NOT eat fresh)
Veggie Straws (we stuff them with French cut green beans or deli meat)
Snapped Pea Puffs (I mean, kinda a veggie)
Freeze Dried Sweet Peas (he'll sorta eat them, but not well)
Graham Cracker with PB on it
Yogurt Melts
Real yogurt (he'll eat some and them cover his face and cry)

That's about all he'll eat.

We CANNOT get him to eat cheese in any capacity (unless cleverly disguised and even then...) and unless he hide lunch meat in his veggie straws we cannot get him to eat meat of any sort.

We are completely frustrated, exhausted and many times feel hopeless. Does anyone have any suggestions here?

** While all opinions are helpful, please refrain from hard-lining "He'll just grow out of it one day." I too used to believe that but we've gotten to the point where we are concerned that he is getting enough calories and nutrients from his food. I refuse to simply do "nothing" when my child very apparently needs help. I do believe with age and understanding some of this will get better, but these early years are crucial to development and we don't want him to fall behind.

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,529.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What about toast, or the mini shredded wheat cerals, cheese straws, crackers raw carrot sticks, blanched carrot sticks,, bean shoots, home cooked potatoe chips ( deep fried potatoes, not crisps.)

Do keep a food diary of everything he eats and drinks, including quantity.
As far as is possible keep eating to meal times so he can see what both of you are eating.
Only offer him what you are eating if he indicates he wants to try it.

I Ve a 22 year old who will not eat green food..
Children will not starve themselves to death, which is why a food diary helps you see how much or little is being eaten.
The only other thing I can suggest is to offer small amounts of several varieties of as crunchy food as you can gather.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello! Keep a weekly food diary. There is a group on Facebook called toddler meal ideas. Search on Facebook. No more snacks. Try to offer smaller portions at meal times. Ask him what he wants to have.
Very few people hate food, keep this in mind. Involve him in meal planning too.

• Winner
Reactions: Ronit
Upvote 0

ZekeB

May 27, 2020
Peoria
✟9,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello, Thanks for the replies!

At 15 months I am unable to ask him what he wants - beyond saying a food item and hoping that his reaction is an excited one v. very upset.

We do keep track of what he eats and how much. We just need new ideas on ways to get good, nutritious food into his body.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No problem. How to feed your toddler
This useful article has more ideas. Definitely also join a group for parents about healthy eating on Facebook too. Also look at other good sources of information and support like a healthy eating support forum online or browse the healthy eating section of well known parenting sites in addition.
Best wishes! I hope that this is useful. Plenty of recipes are available free of charge online, use a search tool to search for some. Or check out this handy website instead for more ideas and inspiration.
BBC Good Food

Reactions: ZekeB
Upvote 0