FOLLOWING MAN MADE TRADITIONS AND TEACHINGS OR THE WORD OF GOD?

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Jesus seems to be comparing legalistic religious observances with the deeper need to love and honour our parents.
The Pharisees put the Talmud, which was the interpretation of the Law, above the Law itself. For example, there was much debate about the definition of "work". Lord Jesus clashed because He healed on the Sabbath and the legalists called that work. It goes on still. A ruling was given a while ago that cutting your fingernails on the Sabbath was wrong. This is the dead hand of extreme religiosity that Lord Jesus opposed.

The sermon on the mount was to show the spirit of the Law as opposed to the letter of the Law. Lord Jesus was showing that it was possible to be outwardly correct and inwardly rotten to the core.

Reactions: honey badger
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Pharisees put the Talmud, which was the interpretation of the Law, above the Law itself. For example, there was much debate about the definition of "work". Lord Jesus clashed because He healed on the Sabbath and the legalists called that work. It goes on still. A ruling was given a while ago that cutting your fingernails on the Sabbath was wrong. This is the dead hand of extreme religiosity that Lord Jesus opposed.

The sermon on the mount was to show the spirit of the Law as opposed to the letter of the Law. Lord Jesus was showing that it was possible to be outwardly correct and inwardly rotten to the core.

Yes, that does all seem to drive the life out of living. In Matt 23 Jesus talks about the importance of not neglecting the law too though. It’s a hard teaching, the need to be truly alive and engaged in life while understanding the importance of doctrine and so on. Churches and individuals seem to swing one way or the other.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Cain relative to Abel concerning the offering ( which God did not ask for ) is an example of what work/labor is .....

• Agree
Reactions: Aussie Pete
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes, that does all seem to drive the life out of living. In Matt 23 Jesus talks about the importance of not neglecting the law too though. It’s a hard teaching, the need to be truly alive and engaged in life while understanding the importance of doctrine and so on. Churches and individuals seem to swing one way or the other.
The problem is that people have a deep down desire to live. I'm not talking physical, but rather the self life that we get from Adam. Most Christians embark on a self improvement program. As one preacher put it, "Study the Bible. All of it. And put it into practice". Possibly the worst advice ever. Those who are born again have the Life of Christ within. He is the Living Word, He created the universe by a few words, He defeated death, hell, Satan and every one of God's enemies. When we allow Him to do the living, everything else follows. We will love because He loves, be at peace because He is our peace, overcome because He is our victory.

Life is first, doctrine is secondary. I know the bible reasonably well. I became vastly stronger when I got to know the Lord Jesus as my life. So many problems evaporated when I realised that "it is finished!" is true! That's why it is the "great salvation". It's all done for us. All we need to do is learn how to walk in the truth. It's a lifetime of learning, but it is no longer a life of striving to be something or somebody. I'm already what God has made me to be. I am complete in Christ. That has to be worked out. Too many Christians are working to get something from God. We already have all that God has for us. It just has to be realised in experience.

• Agree
Reactions: honey badger
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your response here...

Where does Romans 14 talk about God's 4th commandment? It is talking about eating and not eating on days that men esteem over other days. It is not talking about eating and not eating on days that God esteems over other days or God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments. According to the scriptures the things that men esteem are an abomination with God *Luke 16:15.

Take Care.
no matter the observed day of rest do it in honor of the Lord. Or when you eat honor the Lord or fast honor the Lord

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why would you need to? We are in the new covenant now not the old covenant. Do you seek out a Levite Priest and practice animal sacrifices in an earthly Sanctuary every time you sin? If not why not?

Yup my day of rest varies from week to week depending on my work schedule

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
no matter the observed day of rest do it in honor of the Lord. Or when you eat honor the Lord or fast honor the Lord
Then we have Gods' Word (not my words) that says...

1 John 3:4 SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.

and if we break any one of God's 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin..

James 2:10-11
[10], FOR WHOEVER SHALL KEEP THE WHOLE LAW, AND YET OFFEND IN ONE POINT, HE IS GUILTY OF ALL. [11], FOR HE THAT SAID, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, SAID ALSO, DO NOT KILL. NOW IF YOU COMMIT NO ADULTERY, YET IF YOU KILL, YOU ARE BECOME A TRANSGRESSOR OF THE LAW.

God's 4th commandment is one of God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7) which says...

Exodus 20:8-11
[8], REMEMBER THE SABBATH DAY, TO KEEP IT HOLY.
[9], SIX DAYS SHALL YOU LABOR, AND DO ALL YOUR WORK:
[10], BUT THE SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH OF THE LORD YOUR GOD: IN IT YOU SHALL NOT DO ANY WORK, YOU, NOR YOUR SON, NOR YOUR DAUGHTER, YOUR MANSERVANT, NOR YOUR MAIDSERVANT, NOR YOUR CATTLE, NOR YOUR STRANGER THAT IS WITHIN YOUR GATES:
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: why the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

According to the scriptures if we break anyone of Gods' 10 commandments once we have been given a knowledge of the truth of Gods' Word and choose to reject it we stand guilty before God of sin (Acts of the Apostles 17:30-31; James 4:17; Hebrews 10:26-31). There is not one scripture in all of Gods' Word that says Gods' 4th commandment has now been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest. This is a man-made teaching and tradition that has led many away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God. Jesus says those who follow man-made teachings and traditions that break the commandments of God are not worshiping God in Matthew 15:2-9. Which should beg he question if we are not worshiping God according to Jesus who then are we worshiping?

Take Care.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then we have Gods' Word (not my words) that says...

1 John 3:4 SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.

and if we break any one of God's 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin..

James 2:10-11
[10], FOR WHOEVER SHALL KEEP THE WHOLE LAW, AND YET OFFEND IN ONE POINT, HE IS GUILTY OF ALL. [11], FOR HE THAT SAID, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, SAID ALSO, DO NOT KILL. NOW IF YOU COMMIT NO ADULTERY, YET IF YOU KILL, YOU ARE BECOME A TRANSGRESSOR OF THE LAW.

God's 4th commandment is one of God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7) which says...

Exodus 20:8-11
[8], REMEMBER THE SABBATH DAY, TO KEEP IT HOLY.
[9], SIX DAYS SHALL YOU LABOR, AND DO ALL YOUR WORK:
[10], BUT THE SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH OF THE LORD YOUR GOD: IN IT YOU SHALL NOT DO ANY WORK, YOU, NOR YOUR SON, NOR YOUR DAUGHTER, YOUR MANSERVANT, NOR YOUR MAIDSERVANT, NOR YOUR CATTLE, NOR YOUR STRANGER THAT IS WITHIN YOUR GATES:
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: why the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

According to the scriptures if we break anyone of Gods' 10 commandments once we have been given a knowledge of the truth of Gods' Word and choose to reject it we stand guilty before God of sin (Acts of the Apostles 17:30-31; James 4:17; Hebrews 10:26-31). There is not one scripture in all of Gods' Word that says Gods' 4th commandment has now been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest. This is a man-made teaching and tradition that has led many away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God. Jesus says those who follow man-made teachings and traditions that break the commandments of God are not worshiping God in Matthew 15:2-9. Which should beg he question if we are not worshiping God according to Jesus who then are we worshiping?

Take Care.

none of the verses you posted mentions 10 laws but the Law, the whole Law in the OT.

If i have off on Wednesday, that will be my rest day.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
none of the verses you posted mentions 10 laws but the Law, the whole Law in the OT. If i have off on Wednesday, that will be my rest day.
Sorry but that is not true. These scriptures quoted earlier (e.g James 2:10-11; Romans 7:7; from Romans 3:30 are quoting verbatim from Gods 10 commandments in Exodus 20). Your post is a mute point regardless as all the law includes Gods' 10 commandments which as posted earlier shows that if we break anyone of Gods' 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin according to the scriptures (James 2:10-11). This of course includes God's 4th commandment that is one of Gods' commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry but that is not true. These scriptures quoted earlier (e.g James 2:10-11; Romans 7:7; from Romans 3:30 are quoting verbatim from Gods 10 commandments in Exodus 20). Your post is a mute point regardless as all the law includes Gods' 10 commandments which as posted earlier shows that if we break anyone of Gods' 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin according to the scriptures (James 2:10-11). This of course includes God's 4th commandment that is one of Gods' commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4.

then you must include all the law, you are nothing but cherry picking, with the sabbath you must not cook bake or anything else, not even run your electricity.

and you should not kill, the exception is if they do break the 4th commandment you must kill them.

so if you see anyone breaking the sabbath and working you must kill them period.

Exodus 31:15
For six days work may be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of complete rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must surely be put to death.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
then you must include all the law, you are nothing but cherry picking, with the sabbath you must not cook bake or anything else, not even run your electricity. and you should not kill, the exception is if they do break the 4th commandment you must kill them. so if you see anyone breaking the sabbath and working you must kill them period. Exodus 31:15 For six days work may be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of complete rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must surely be put to death.

Either way you lose this argument. As shown in the post and the scriptures your quoting from the context and subject matter is to God's 10 commandments and even if you want to try and argue all the law, God's 10 commandments are a part of all the law. So either way you lose this argument. All you have provided here are your words and accusations disagreeing with the scriptures that have been shared with you. Perhaps you can prove your claims with scripture? For example you make the claim I am cherry picking scripture therefore the meaning is not correct. Perhaps you can show me how the context changes the meaning of the application of the scriptures that have been shared with you defining what sin is? - It doesn't. So please do not make false accusations against me that your not able to prove from the scriptures as this is bearing false witness. If you cannot prove your accusations here then all you have are your words disagreeing with the scriptures shared with you. What is it in the posts and scriptures shared with you here that you disagree with and why (scripture please)? If you cannot tell me what it is exactly that you disagree with, all you have are your words arguing with the scriptures that have been shared with you in love. If that is the case your argument is not with me but the scriptures your trying to argue against with your words that are not God's Word. If that is the case of course you are free to believe as you wish and we will agree to disagree. For me only God's Word is true and we should believe and follow them *Romans 3:4; Acts of the Apostles 5:29 over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God *Matthew 15:2-9. I only wish you well.

Take Care.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Either way you lose this argument. As shown in the post and the scriptures your quoting from the context and subject matter is to God's 10 commandments and even if you want to try and argue all the law, God's 10 commandments are a part of all the law. So either way you lose this argument. All you have provided here are your words and accusations disagreeing with the scriptures that have been shared with you. Perhaps you can prove your claims with scripture? For example you make the claim I am cherry picking scripture therefore the meaning is not correct. Perhaps you can show me how the context changes the meaning of the application of the scriptures that have been shared with you defining what sin is? - It doesn't. So please do not make false accusations against me that your not able to prove from the scriptures as this is bearing false witness. If you cannot prove your accusations here then all you have are your words disagreeing with the scriptures shared with you. What is it in the posts and scriptures shared with you here that you disagree with and why (scripture please)? If you cannot tell me what it is exactly that you disagree with, all you have are your words arguing with the scriptures that have been shared with you in love. If that is the case your argument is not with me but the scriptures your trying to argue against with your words that are not God's Word. If that is the case of course you are free to believe as you wish and we will agree to disagree. For me only God's Word is true and we should believe and follow them *Romans 3:4; Acts of the Apostles 5:29 over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God *Matthew 15:2-9. I only wish you well.

Take Care.

Sorry brother, I love you and I shouldn’t have said cherry picking, surely you have your thoughts on it, so do I, debating over it is probably futile.

Col 2:16
Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sorry brother, I love you and I shouldn’t have said cherry picking
Well that is ok all good. Thank you for your apology. The scriptures I shared with you though in my posts were all true however supporting what was being shared with you so I pray you might re-read and prayerfully consider them.
Col 2:16 Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath.
Colossians 2:16 is talking about the meat and drink offerings and the new moons and the sabbaths (plural) in the Feast days being a shadow of things to come. It is not talking about God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments that give us a knowledge of what sin is when broken (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4).

You may not have realized (and many do not) but there were many different kinds of ceremonial annual sabbaths or days of rest and holy convocation where no work was allowed that were connected to the annual Feast days that had nothing to do with Gods 4th commandment. These annual sabbaths of days of rest in the Feast days included; (1) Feast of Unleavened Bread (first and last day) *Leviticus 23:6-8 (2) Feast of Trumpets *Leviticus 23:24-25 (3) Day of Atonement *Leviticus 23:27-32 (4) Feast of Booths *Leviticus 23:34-36 (5) Feast of First Fruits *Leviticus 23:39 (6) Feast days of Holy convocation of no work *Leviticus 23:7-8; 21;24; 27; 35-36. This is the subject matter and contexts of Colossians 2:16.

Albert Barnes Notes on the Bible

“... Or of the Sabbath days - Greek, “of the Sabbaths.” The word Sabbath in the Old Testament is applied not only to the seventh day, but to all the days of holy rest that were observed by the Hebrews, and particularly to the beginning and close of their great festivals. There is, doubtless, reference to those days in this place, since the word is used in the plural number, and the apostle does not refer particularly to the Sabbath properly so called. There is no evidence from this passage that he would teach that there was no obligation to observe any holy time, for there is not the slightest reason to believe that he meant to teach that one of the ten commandments had ceased to be binding on mankind. If he had used the word in the singular number - “the Sabbath,” it would then, of course, have been clear that he meant to teach that that commandment had ceased to be binding, and that a Sabbath was no longer to be observed. But the use of the term in the plural number, and the connection, show that he had his eye on the great number of days which were observed by the Hebrews as festivals, as a part of their ceremonial and typical law, and not to the moral law, or the Ten Commandments. No part of the moral law - no one of the ten commandments could be spoken of as “a shadow of good things to come.” These commandments are, from the nature of moral law, of perpetual and universal obligation. ...” - Albert Barnes, Colossians 2:16 Commentary. E-Sword App.

Adam Clarke, states on the same passage:

There is no intimation here that the Sabbath was done away, or that its moral use was superseded, by the introduction of Christianity. I have shown elsewhere that, Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, is a command of perpetual obligation, and can never be superseded but by the final termination of time. ...” - Adam Clarke, Colossians 2:16 Commentary. E-Sword App.

Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary states:
“... the sabbath — Omit “THE,” which is not in the Greek (compare Note, see on Gal_4:10). “SABBATHS” (not “the sabbaths”) of the day of atonement and feast of tabernacles have come to an end with the Jewish services to which they belonged (Lev_23:32, Lev_23:37-39). The weekly sabbath rests on a more permanent foundation, having been instituted in Paradise to commemorate the completion of creation in six days. Lev_23:38 expressly distinguished “the sabbath of the Lord” from the other sabbaths. A positive precept is right because it is commanded, and ceases to be obligatory when abrogated; a moral precept is commanded eternally, because it is eternally right. If we could keep a perpetual sabbath, as we shall hereafter, the positive precept of the sabbath, one in each week, would not be needed. Heb_4:9, “rests,” Greek, “keeping of sabbath” (Isa_66:23). But we cannot, since even Adam, in innocence, needed one amidst his earthly employments; therefore the sabbath is still needed and is therefore still linked with the other nine commandments, as obligatory in the spirit, though the letter of the law has been superseded by that higher spirit of love which is the essence of law and Gospel alike (Rom_13:8-10). ...” - Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, Colossians 2:16 Commentary. E-Sword App.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well that is ok all good. Thank you for your apology. The scriptures I shared with you though in my posts were all true however supporting what was being shared with you so I pray you might re-read and prayerfully consider them.

Colossians 2:16 is talking about the meat and drink offerings and the new moons and the sabbaths (plural) in the Feast days being a shadow of things to come. It is not talking about God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments that give us a knowledge of what sin is when broken (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4).

You may not have realized (and many do not) but there were many different kinds of ceremonial annual sabbaths or days of rest and holy convocation where no work was allowed that were connected to the annual Feast days that had nothing to do with Gods 4th commandment. These annual sabbaths of days of rest in the Feast days included; (1) Feast of Unleavened Bread (first and last day) *Leviticus 23:6-8 (2) Feast of Trumpets *Leviticus 23:24-25 (3) Day of Atonement *Leviticus 23:27-32 (4) Feast of Booths *Leviticus 23:34-36 (5) Feast of First Fruits *Leviticus 23:39 (6) Feast days of Holy convocation of no work *Leviticus 23:7-8; 21;24; 27; 35-36. This is the subject matter and contexts of Colossians 2:16.

Albert Barnes Notes on the Bible

“... Or of the Sabbath days - Greek, “of the Sabbaths.” The word Sabbath in the Old Testament is applied not only to the seventh day, but to all the days of holy rest that were observed by the Hebrews, and particularly to the beginning and close of their great festivals. There is, doubtless, reference to those days in this place, since the word is used in the plural number, and the apostle does not refer particularly to the Sabbath properly so called. There is no evidence from this passage that he would teach that there was no obligation to observe any holy time, for there is not the slightest reason to believe that he meant to teach that one of the ten commandments had ceased to be binding on mankind. If he had used the word in the singular number - “the Sabbath,” it would then, of course, have been clear that he meant to teach that that commandment had ceased to be binding, and that a Sabbath was no longer to be observed. But the use of the term in the plural number, and the connection, show that he had his eye on the great number of days which were observed by the Hebrews as festivals, as a part of their ceremonial and typical law, and not to the moral law, or the Ten Commandments. No part of the moral law - no one of the ten commandments could be spoken of as “a shadow of good things to come.” These commandments are, from the nature of moral law, of perpetual and universal obligation. ...” - Albert Barnes, Colossians 2:16 Commentary. E-Sword App.

Adam Clarke, states on the same passage:

There is no intimation here that the Sabbath was done away, or that its moral use was superseded, by the introduction of Christianity. I have shown elsewhere that, Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, is a command of perpetual obligation, and can never be superseded but by the final termination of time. ...” - Adam Clarke, Colossians 2:16 Commentary. E-Sword App.

Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary states:
“... the sabbath — Omit “THE,” which is not in the Greek (compare Note, see on Gal_4:10). “SABBATHS” (not “the sabbaths”) of the day of atonement and feast of tabernacles have come to an end with the Jewish services to which they belonged (Lev_23:32, Lev_23:37-39). The weekly sabbath rests on a more permanent foundation, having been instituted in Paradise to commemorate the completion of creation in six days. Lev_23:38 expressly distinguished “the sabbath of the Lord” from the other sabbaths. A positive precept is right because it is commanded, and ceases to be obligatory when abrogated; a moral precept is commanded eternally, because it is eternally right. If we could keep a perpetual sabbath, as we shall hereafter, the positive precept of the sabbath, one in each week, would not be needed. Heb_4:9, “rests,” Greek, “keeping of sabbath” (Isa_66:23). But we cannot, since even Adam, in innocence, needed one amidst his earthly employments; therefore the sabbath is still needed and is therefore still linked with the other nine commandments, as obligatory in the spirit, though the letter of the law has been superseded by that higher spirit of love which is the essence of law and Gospel alike (Rom_13:8-10). ...” - Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, Colossians 2:16 Commentary. E-Sword App.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you, and and I get the Fausset and Brown opinion of it being a more permanent thing but I can’t quite see it written as such to get rid of all but the weekly is basically what they are saying, doesn’t seem correct if one is following sabbaths laws.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, and and I get the Fausset and Brown opinion of it being a more permanent thing but I can’t quite see it written as such to get rid of all but the weekly is basically what they are saying, doesn’t seem correct if one is following sabbaths laws.
May I ask you what do you think the scriptures provided and the post you are quoting from is saying in regards to the sabbaths (plural) in Colossians 2:16? There was three commentaries posted from 5x Sunday keeping scholars (Barnes, Clarke and Jamieson, Fausset and Brown) in regard to the annual sabbaths (plural) in the annual feast days which is the context of Colossians 2:16 all in agreement with what I have been sharing with you from the scriptures in regards to Colossians 2:16. Can you show me the scripture that says that God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments is now abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest? If there is no scripture then is not the Christian world following the man made teachings and traditions that have led many to break God's 4th commandment that Jesus warns us about in Matthew 15:2-9?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I may in respect to Colossians 2:16 we also must consider the context of the chapter. Please follow along.
We have been quickened together with Christ and risen together WITH Him through the faith of the operation of God, having been forgiven of all trespasses. Thereby Blotting out the handwriting of the ordinances. Those hand written by Moses pertaining to forgiveness when we sinned. The punishments that were against us and contrary to us, and the sacrificial system were blotted out not the moral Law and the Ten commandments. But those which were handwritten by Moses in the Book of the Law.

Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SHOULD WE FOLLOW MAN-MADE TEACHINGS AND TRADITIONS THAT ARE AGAINST GOD'S WORD?

Hi everyone, I have been here at this forum for sometime now already and one thing I have learnt and believe is that there is every wind of doctrine out there all professing to be the truth of Gods' Word. So I am personally of the view that unless God is our guide and teacher as we prayerfully ask him to personally teach us the truth of His Words we cannot know the truth in seeking it from others unless God guides someone who knows the truth and His Spirit reveals His Word to us in this way.

I have found in much of my discussions with others here on controversial topics that once detailed scripture responses are posted and it is shown through the scriptures that one one once believed to be true in the scriptures may not be true many seek support for their teachings and traditions that cannot be supported from the bible alone to sources outside of the bible that contradict the teachings of the bible appealing to man-made teachings and tradition over the Word of God.

WHAT IS THE ONLY STANDARD OF TRUTH IN THE BIBLE?

Q1. Who should we believe and follow when it comes to the final and important decision of what it means to be a Christian and having a personal relationship with God; God through His Word or the teachings and tradition of men that might lead us away from God and His Word?

Q2. What is the bibles definition of truth?

Q3. Can we have Gods' grace without believing and following what Gods' Word says?

SOME QUESTIONS THAT DEMONSTRATE MAN-MADE TEACHING UNSUPPORTED BY SCRIPTURE

Q4. Where in the bible does it say that "Sunday" is "the Lords day" of Revelation 1:10?

Q5. Where in the bible does it say that God's 4th commandment has now been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day of rest?

Q6. Where does it say anywhere in the scriptures that Jesus is the Sabbath?

Q7. Where in the scriptures does it to keep the first day in honor of the resurrection of Christ?

Q8. Where from any apostolic writings of the new testament do any of the Apostles authorizes Sunday observance to be kept as a memorial of the resurrection of Jesus?

Q9. Where in the scriptures does it say that the seventh day is no longer God's Sabbath day and 4th commandment of the 10 commandments that give us a knowledge of what sin is when broken?

Q10. Where in the scriptures does it say that the seventh day of God's 4th commandment of the 10 commandments has been abolished?

Q11. Where the apostles ever taught any convert to keep the first day of the week as a Sabbath?

Q12. Where in the scriptures is the first day was ever appointed to be kept as the Lord's Day?

Q13. Where in the scriptures does it say that the seventh day is the “Jewish Sabbath” or one text that calls Sunday the “Christian Sabbath”?

Q14. Where in the scriptures does it tell us to keep the first day of the week holy or to worship or rest on the first day of the week?

Q15. Where in the scriptures does it authorize anyone to set aside God's Sabbath and observe any other day?

Q16. Where is the scripture showing any of the apostles keeping the first day of the week as as a memorial of the resurrection?

Q23. Where Sunday is now appointed to be kept as the New Testament Christian Sabbath or holy day or as a memorial of the resurrection?

Q24. Where God's 10 commandments have been abolished that includes Gods' 4th commandment

Q25. How can love be separate from obedience to Gods' 10 commandments?

Sub questions of Q25...

Q25.2. Do we love God by having other God's?

Q25.3. Do we love God by making idols and bowing down and worshiping them?

Q25.4. Do we love God by taking God's name in vain?

Q25.5. Do we love God by breaking and disregarding His seventh day Sabbath?

Q25.6. Do we love our parents by dishonoring them?

Q25.7. Do we love our neighbor by murdering them?

Q25.8. Do we love our neighbor by committing adultery with their spouse?

Q25.9. Do we love our neighbor by stealing from them?

Q25.10. Do we love our neighbor by lying to them?

Q25.11. Do we love our neighbor by coveting their belongings?

Friendly discussion please with your answers supported by scripture. The main topic of the OP is in regards to who should we believe and follow; God or man? There is an interesting passage of the scriptures in the very Words of Jesus in Matthew 15:2-9 where Jesus says that if we knowingly follow man-made teachings and tradition that lead us away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God we are not worshiping God. If this is the case this begs the question once more if we are following man-made teachings and traditions handed down from the Roman Catholic Church who are we worshiping?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Gods bless.

Since this sounds to me like a discussion of the relationship of church tradition to the law, may I suggest two preliminary questions?

Does the church have any authority at all?

Does the church have the authority to interpret the law?

Upvote 0

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If I may in respect to Colossians 2:16 we also must consider the context of the chapter. Please follow along.
We have been quickened together with Christ and risen together WITH Him through the faith of the operation of God, having been forgiven of all trespasses. Thereby Blotting out the handwriting of the ordinances. Those hand written by Moses pertaining to forgiveness when we sinned. The punishments that were against us and contrary to us, and the sacrificial system were blotted out not the moral Law and the Ten commandments. But those which were handwritten by Moses in the Book of the Law.

Paul correctly addressed this issue in his letter to the Hebrews...

Hebrews 8:7 For if that first covenant had been without fault, no place would have been sought for a second. 8But God found fault with the people and said: “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. 9It will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, because they did not abide by My covenant,

and Paul identifies that covenant in verse 10...

10For this is the covenant I will make
with the house of Israel
after those days,
declares the Lord.
I will put My laws in their minds
and inscribe them on their hearts

There is nothing in any of that covenant where Paul discusses the abolition of the law.

Jesus himself actually states the exact opposite in Matthew 5 when he said.

New American Standard Bible
For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke of a letter shall pass from the Law, until all is accomplished!
people continue to state Jesus saying "it is finished" at the cross means the law was abolished.

That isn't even logical...why would a persona spend 3.5 years in ministry, add to this his entire earthly life, demonstrating to everyone how to keep the law, and then throw it all out at the end?

I am a former school teacher and I have never taught that way myself in the classroom...and that is because it is absurd for a teacher to do something like this!

I do not for 1 second say that we must keep the law perfectly in order to be saved...that is absolutely false. Isaiah 64 states very clearly Our deeds/works are but filthy rags,

Amplified Bible
For we all have become like one who is [ceremonially] unclean [like a leper], And all our deeds of righteousness are like filthy rags; We all wither and decay like a leaf, And our wickedness [our sin, our injustice, our wrongdoing], like the wind, takes us away [carrying us far from God’s favor, toward destruction].
Isaiah 57 states, that Jesus will declare our righteousness... our works will not save us

New Living Translation
vs12 Now I will expose your so-called good deeds. None of them will help you.
However, at the end of time, Revelation clearly distinguishes between those who are saved and those who are not...(this is the law and the gospel side by side)

Revelation 14

12Here is a call for the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.
The crux of all of this is summed up in Acts 16
31They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, you and your household.”
Believing in Jesus Christ means believing in his life, death, and resurrection. He lived a life perfectly according to the law, he died for our sins because we are condemned by the law, and he was resurrected again.

In answer to the charge, "we are in Jesus we do not need to keep the law"...to the women caught in adultery (the infamous pericope adulterae), Jesus adds in John 811

go, and sin no more.
that is not an unconditional free ticket to continue in a life of sin pretending that the cloak of Jesus righteousness would allow her to continue to live that life, she had to make changes!

Jesus, or perhaps i should say "our God and Saviour"s (2 Peter 1:1) righteousness, did not begin at the cross...he was righteous eternally (alpha and omega) past, present and future!

Last edited:
Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus did fulfil the law, and all is fulfilled by Jesus laying His life down, which is love fulfiling the law, and not the works of the law which are not faith ( they are Pharisee)..

Romans 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Upvote 0

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus did fulfil the law, and all is fulfilled by Jesus laying His life down, which is love fulfiling the law, and not the works of the law which are not faith ( they are Pharisee)..

Romans 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
I guess sometimes a dictionary is the best way to answer poor comprehension of scripture...

Fulfill means

"to carry out (a duty or role) as required, promised, or expected."

Jesus was prophesied to come and die for our sins...an act of redemption. He achieved that task and we all know he believed he completed that task because he cried out..."it is finished'

Now one could argue until they're blue in the face about the currency of the law. The answer lies in some simple moral truths..one of which is, if I murder someone I think I'm likely to get at least 15-20 years! It would appear that the law is most definately still used to define sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0