Follow-up: can society exist and survive without God?

A

Amorphous

The more appropriate query would be: can society exist and survive with "God?" Divisions along lines of religious sentiment are responsible for much of the turmoil found around the globe today. Perhaps John Lennon was correct when he penned the following lyrics:

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one

Upvote 0

bop1997

Order my steps Lord
Jun 30, 2003
AL
Visit site
✟7,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NO....I honeslty believe this, from personal experiences. Regardless if people beileve it or not GOD will ALWAYS exists, he knows all and sees all. I have seen too many Miracles not to believe so. My mom almost died, byt By the grace of GOD she is still here healthier thatn ever. Tooi many miraculos things have happend.
JMHO

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
bop1997 said:
NO....I honeslty believe this, from personal experiences. Regardless if people beileve it or not GOD will ALWAYS exists, he knows all and sees all. I have seen too many Miracles not to believe so. My mom almost died, byt By the grace of GOD she is still here healthier thatn ever. Tooi many miraculos things have happend.
JMHO
I personally think that alot of people see things as they want to. 'Miracles' are bound to happen sooner our later just out of basic statistical probability. People take not of these extraordinary events more than they do regular ones, thus making it seem like they are more common than would be expected.

You might want to read this article. The part about the moped is simply mind numbing.

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
Michael0701 said:
revolutio,

May I ask you if you believe in any miracle? Or do you explain away them all?
Everything has an explanation, be it biblical, scientific, or psychological.

I don't really know what definition of miracle you are referring to though. Give me your definition and I will tell you.

Upvote 0

Michael0701

Harley Ridin' Believer!!
Nov 13, 2002
Tax Free Delaware!!
Visit site
✟8,417.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
revolutio,

Excellent point! What defines a miracle?

mir·a·cle ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m
ibreve.gif
r
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-k
schwa.gif
l)
n.
  1. An event that appears inexplicable by the laws of nature and so is held to be supernatural in origin or an act of God: “Miracles are spontaneous, they cannot be summoned, but come of themselves” (Katherine Anne Porter).
  2. One that excites admiring awe. See Synonyms at wonder.
  3. A miracle play.
(stolen from dictionary.com)

I personally like the #2 definition, like the "miracle of birth". It is somewhat broad in it's definition and quite different from #1, but to me it says it all.

I do question the quote they used in #1. About the spontaneity of miracles, that to me is in direct contrast to the church's beliefs (the faithful do after all pray for miracles, don't they?).

I will refrain from giving any examples (some medical ones come to mind), but let's adress how you feel about definition#1.

Upvote 0

Brother Christman

Constitution Party->11.04
Jun 26, 2003
TX, USA
Visit site
✟15,914.00
Faith
Baptist
Omnedon said:
Didaskolos said:

And I've asked for examples from history which demonstrate this claim. Others besides didaskolos may want to chime in.

Yes, humanity can and will survive, for a time without God, just as sheep can survive without their shepherd. The spiritual/moral/emotional/physical dangers will grow exponentially, but I've no doubt that one day, the God-haters will get what they want. We're obligated to tirelessly, compassionately check their advance as best we might, regardless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
Michael0701 said:
revolutio,

Excellent point! What defines a miracle?

mir·a·cle ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m
ibreve.gif
r
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-k
schwa.gif
l)
n.
  1. An event that appears inexplicable by the laws of nature and so is held to be supernatural in origin or an act of God: “Miracles are spontaneous, they cannot be summoned, but come of themselves” (Katherine Anne Porter).
  2. One that excites admiring awe. See Synonyms at wonder.
  3. A miracle play.
(stolen from dictionary.com)

I personally like the #2 definition, like the "miracle of birth". It is somewhat broad in it's definition and quite different from #1, but to me it says it all.

I do question the quote they used in #1. About the spontaneity of miracles, that to me is in direct contrast to the church's beliefs (the faithful do after all pray for miracles, don't they?).

I will refrain from giving any examples (some medical ones come to mind), but let's adress how you feel about definition#1.
I do not think miracles (like the ones in the first definition) occur. If a god does exist then I think he created the universe to work as one masterfully built domino set and has no need of intervening later to amend anything. After all he knows what is going to happen so he wouldn't have tipped the first domino if he knew something was going to come up later that would need direct intervention.

Plus as for miracles, I think it is highly presumptuous to label anything a miracle. There is so much we don't know nor understand in this world that inexplicable things are almost common stance in science.

If something defies a law of nature and is well documented then I would have to change my beliefs on this topic. Otherwise there is really no way to prove anything is a miracle rather than just something happening against the odds.

Upvote 0

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Brother Christman said:
Yes, humanity can and will survive, for a time without God, just as sheep can survive without their shepherd. The spiritual/moral/emotional/physical dangers will grow exponentially, but I've no doubt that one day, the God-haters will get what they want. We're obligated to tirelessly, compassionately check their advance as best we might, regardless.
]\

You assume we hate God, it's religion we have no use for. :kiss: And I don't need you to "check my advance" thank you very much. How arrogant to suggest such a thing. Maybe we can check the advance of Christianity, which, after all is a an upstart religion of a mere 2000 years whereas the other religions are many thousands of years older. I think only the mormons are newer.

Upvote 0
B

bigfws

Dear Sir: God Loves You did you know that, he cares about his whole creation. This is why he sent his one and only Son to suffer and to die upon a Roman cross. He paid the price for yours and my Sin's. He shed his precious life's blood to cleanse each of us. His empty tomb proves that God accepted his sacrafice as payment for our sin's. If you would only give him a chance. All you have to do is ask and its yours

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bop1997

Order my steps Lord
Jun 30, 2003
AL
Visit site
✟7,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
'Miracles' are bound to happen sooner our later just out of basic statistical probability

Statistical Probablilty, IMO has nothing to do with miracles. According to Stats,my mother was supposed to be dead. She had a 100lb tumor. It was supposed to have already exploede and she is supposed to be dead. At the same time she had this surgery she had to have an hysterectomy, and her galbladder removed. All at once. I call that a miracle, the fact that GOD sees that my mother has a purpose on this earth, she has work that needs to be done and he spared her. She only has 40% of her kidneys working as of right now, yet she doesn't have to be on dialysis as of right now. Another example, my pastor was told that he would never walk again, he had blood clots all in his legs, he couldn't move, but today he is walking without a cane. I call that a miracle. I see others in my church and community who are supposed to be dead, but by the Grace of God made it. I have seen miracles, that science can't explain, that had doctors amazed.
Stat in itself are not always right. Stats are taken a sample of populations resulting in probable solutions, but it doesn't mean it is a fact. It just gives results for that sample. Everything in stats is probable.

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
bop1997 said:
I have seen miracles, that science can't explain, that had doctors amazed.
Like I said, science is still widely ignorant about the workings of the world. Too assume something was divine intervention because science didn't have an explanation for it is quite a leap to a conclusion.

Upvote 0

Michael0701

Harley Ridin' Believer!!
Nov 13, 2002
Tax Free Delaware!!
Visit site
✟8,417.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
bop1997,

I, for one, certianly believe in miracles and the power of prayer. The healing power of prayer. And now so do you, PTL!! Spread the word of God's love and mercy (you see, ..... I was also healed by a miracle ;) )

Upvote 0