Florida's secretary of state Mike Ertel resigns after blackface photos surface

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Florida Secretary of State Michael Ertel resigned Thursday after photos emerged of him wearing blackface as a Hurricane "Katrina victim" at a Halloween party in 2005.

The stunning development ended the former Seminole County election supervisor’s 16-day stint as Florida's top elections officer.

Just imagine the job he would have done on elections. His behavior demonstrates that equity is obviously not a top priority for him.

• Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
To be honest, I'm a bit surprised on how many people have done blackface in the past 20 years.

When I was a kid I remember my folks taking me to a blackface minstrel show. That would have been in the mid-fifties.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Just imagine the job he would have done on elections. His behavior demonstrates that equity is obviously not a top priority for him.

As I asked in your other thread about the sorority sister being booted after posting a blackface video...

Have you noticed that when there's a news story about racism against black people and Native Americans or whenever there's a discussion on the history of racism against minorities in America, there's always at least one begrudged white person who immediately interjects with something about white people? It's like we can't have a reasonable discussion and address the perpetual existence of racism against minorities in this country without some white person interfering with any excuse they can come up with to divert and discredit the discussion on racism against minorities in America.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Or not - from the TallahasseeDemocrat:
The photos are the sole blemish on a seemingly spotless public career, highlighted by a record of increasing voter registration and making the elections office more accessible to the public.

...The city of Longwood gave him a Martin Luther King Jr. award for registering voters. In 2012, Ertel spoke out against Gov. Rick Scott’s purge of so-called non-citizens from the voter rolls, saying many of those who were purged were actually eligible voters.

Ertel also has won international awards for his plans to restore voter confidence and trust in the elections system.
Not excusing his wretched choice of a costume, but he doesn't seem to have been a bad official.

• Informative
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

WherevertheWindblows

Dec 30, 2018
City
✟7,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What the big deal? it just make up on a face, black comedians always have anti-white jokes all the time, and call us crackers, honkeys, and so fourth.

I laugh at the white jokes but I laugh at stereotype type stuff. Yeah, comedians do both. Heck, Jimmy Kimmel did whats called this blackface thing. This generation hyperventilates over everything (which is likely why safe spaces are vogue.
Its like this plague of emotional diarrhea

Reactions: Orthodoxjay1
Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I laugh at the white jokes but I laugh at stereotype type stuff. Yeah, comedians do both. Heck, Jimmy Kimmel did whats called this blackface thing. This generation hyperventilates over everything (which is likely why safe spaces are vogue.
Its like this plague of emotional diarrhea

I agree I use to laugh at Dave Chappel, even if he politically different than me, and mad jokes about whites, heck he made jokes about everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not buying , jokes are jokes, people too uptight.

It doesn't matter if you 'buy it' or not.

Your disapproval doesn't change its racist history or the fact that it is still racist and wrong to do.

Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't matter if you 'buy it' or not. Your disapproval doesn't change its racist history.
::yawn:: the slaves are freed, civil rights happened, we had a black president, mixed marriages are common between races (which is good), black people lead the way in rap, football and good soul food, they own businesses, busing happened, and you know what Racism is a very small thing in America, it only since Trump election, are the liberals on a witch hunt to prove white = racist, chillax!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WherevertheWindblows

Dec 30, 2018
City
✟7,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
::yawn:: the slaves are freed, civil rights happened, we had a black president, mixed marriages are common between races (which is good), black people lead the way in rap, football and good soul food, they own businesses, busing happened, and you know what Racism is a very small thing in America, it only since Trump are the liberals on a witch hunt to prove white = racist, chillax!

And yet nothing you said here changes the racist history of blackface. The fact is, racism against minorities is still alive and well in America and it has been since this country's inception.

Speaking from my own experiences (from my own childhood and as an NDN activist of 27 years), I'm quite aware that racism against minorities is still alive and well in America and it isn't a small ordeal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To be honest, I'm a bit surprised on how many people have done blackface in the past 20 years.
Do you remember when comedian Billy Crystal did blackface in his impersonation of Sammy Davis, Jr.? Nobody was offended by it.

Billy Crystal Sammy Davis, Jr..jpg

Upvote 0

WherevertheWindblows

Dec 30, 2018
City
✟7,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Stupid decision to be sure, but fired fourteen years later because of it? Seems a bit harsh.
Im so glad I never joined any of these social media places, they just serve for folks to dig up something to hyperventilate over decades later lol
It will serve much like the Chinese social scoring thing where your jobs and credit hinge on those sorts of things. Those places are like a trap for that kind of targeting.

• Agree
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0