Florida sheriff has ‘game-changer’ plan to arm teachers and end gun-free school zones

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps it's time for the citizenry to pony up the money to protect our kids huh? To not do that is saying "we can't afford to keep our kids safe."

If they're not going to pony up enough money to educate our kids in school, why expect them to pay for anything else?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That being said, the argument you posed is moot.
I dunno, I think it's a rather good rebuttal to a poor argument. You may not agree that the argument I was rebutting was important, but that's your prerogative.

The point I was making is that, I am far more concerned of some random idiot shooting my daughter, than a professor that has actively stated his dissent against my daughters beliefs.
I don't believe that anyone has expressed a fear of teachers shooting students over differing politics, but duly noted. For the record, I agree. I'm far more concerned about being shot by a random crazy than any of my gun-owning, conservative friends (and no, that's not sarcasm).

Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Do you see "qualified" in your post? because I did.

Oh my lord... please tell me you are not one of those individuals that think police have some 'special licenses' to carry a gun. Same constitution, Same legislation for any civilian. The only difference is cops have an education in law.

Fine -- forget the security guards and the teachers and let your daughter defend the school with her skills.

Thank you... finally! a common sense approach! Let individuals defend themselves against their own aggressors! Stop disarming them so they can defend themselves! I am honestly shocked, I didn't know you held that veiw.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because having teachers being armed isn't going to serve as a deterrent against school shootings, which is the logic most people making this proposal are making.

....and would set up teachers as the first targets.

From a real world tactical scenario, it makes no sense.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I dunno, I think it's a rather good rebuttal to a poor argument. You may not agree that the argument I was rebutting was important, but that's your prerogative.

I do not agree with the premise. Of course some people do not commit crimes because they might get caught. Along the same lines that good fences make good neighbors. It is completely irrational to think no one is going to be deterred. As much as it is to think every agresser will be deterred. Some people just don't care regardless of consequence.

I don't believe that anyone has expressed a fear of teachers shooting students over differing politics, but duly noted. For the record, I agree. I'm far more concerned about being shot by a random crazy than any of my gun-owning, conservative friends (and no, that's not sarcasm).

So you get the point then. It's not sarcasm to exspect an individual with a gun to even defend the lives of those with opposing views. Duly noted.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So, it appears that a deputy retired after cameras showed that he arrived on scene and didn't enter the school to confront the shooter...

This is something worth keeping in mind, because if you think some teacher who probably isn't paid what they're worth is going to head out into the halls to get into a gunfight with a student armed with an assault rifle, you're going to be really disappointed with the results of this little experiment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Foamhead

I like water
Aug 27, 2005
✟42,341.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
OK. Let's say that actually happens, which it might.

Which is better? Losing 17 people because of one deranged killer who knows full well that his shooting spree is taking place in a gun-free zone ... or losing a couple of people because a highly-trained teacher misjudged a situation?

Btw, how many un-armed teachers have been killed, or injured, by violent students in recent years?

We're down to only one or two kids dying from gun violence per shooting! THIS is progress America! We're number ooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Oh my lord... please tell me you are not one of those individuals that think police have some 'special licenses' to carry a gun. Same constitution, Same legislation for any civilian. The only difference is cops have an education in law.

I don't see "police" anywhere in the comment you quoted that I made. So why don't you actually address what I actually spoke instead of getting off topic?

Thank you... finally! a common sense approach! Let individuals defend themselves against their own aggressors! Stop disarming them so they can defend themselves! I am honestly shocked, I didn't know you held that veiw.

You never bothered to ask, preferring to swat at strawmen.

Had you bothered to ask, you'd have known that I do not, nor have I ever, advocated taking any guns away from responsible, law-abiding people. All I want is to insure that only responsible, law abiding people have them.

I even started a thread about a common sense approach to the issue. It has "gun" in the title; can't miss it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Umm woops...

It happens brah... there was even a cop that shot himself in a classroom while discussing gun safety.

Indeed it does... a pity Cruz didn't shoot himself on his way to school that day.

• Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The plan is simple: Arm teachers with concealed weapons and train them to effectively defend students should the need ever arise.

MountainLady teaches third grade.
Already has her own needed equipment.
Will California be offering this training?
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I guess it is better than nothing since the REAL deputy Sheriff assigned to the school ran outside and hid during the shooting. Perhaps an “honorary” super special deputy teacher would engage the shooter.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
MountainLady teaches third grade.
Already has her own needed equipment.
Will California be offering this training?
M-Bob

Figures the same political party that won't spend a dime for schools to teach children wants them to shoot children.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I guess it is better than nothing since the REAL deputy Sheriff assigned to the school ran outside and hid during the shooting. Perhaps an “honorary” super special deputy teacher would engage the shooter.
My understanding is that the deputy was not in the building at the time, but ran to the building in response to the shooting but did not go in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Even less funny still when an overworked teacher goes off the rails and pulls the gun on her own class or fellow faculty and becomes exactly what she was intended to prevent.

I wonder what they'll do then?

Perhaps have the students carry guns also, so they can shoot a teacher that goes beserk with the gun that is supposed to be used to protect the children?

"problem solved once again"

I'm sure the NRA will love it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Which is better? Losing 17 people because of one deranged killer who knows full well that his shooting spree is taking place in a gun-free zone ... or losing a couple of people because a highly-trained teacher misjudged a situation?

You seem to be assuming that the two scenarios are mutually exclusive.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

:sigh:

The way you guys are talking about human lives......

Amazing.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
My understanding is that the deputy was not in the building at the time, but ran to the building in response to the shooting but did not go in.

Well, why should he risk his life against an armed maniac? We've got teachers for that!

• Haha
Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Seriously? You would rather a teacher be defenseless while his/her kids are being shot to death?

That's NOT a change for the better....so, stay if you must, but please don't make any "better" changes, most of us value the lives of out children more than that.

If you care about their lives, your priority should be preventing them to get guns, instead of increasing the amount of guns.

Upvote 0