Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus and His followers weren't armed. Is there any command in the scriptures to arm oneself ?

So is it wrong to defend yourself and your family and those around us? If someone is violently attacking your children will you say to them, "stop that, Jesus and His followers weren't armed."? I doubt it, you will do whatever it takes to protect them.

What about "Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus." They were armed. They had to be and Jesus was okay with that since he said "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." The sword has been replaced with a firearm these days. No difference, we need them because that's what the people who want to harm other people are using.

• Agree
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, a two second search turned up these. story of a mass killing with a knife - Google Search All the gun laws do is tie the hands of honest law abiding citizens. They DO NOT affect the criminal BECAUSE criminals DO NOT OBEY THE LAWS. The only time it comes into affect is AFTER they have committed a crime. Please show me one instance where a firearm law stopped a criminal from committing a crime?
I gave you the Australian experience and truly its worth looking at. I wasn't alive when it all went down but my dad said there was a lot of uproar about handing over guns. So I gather there was a lot of pain and the government actually bought them back. But once the gun armistice ended apparently it went very heavy - If you own a gun that's prohibited your in trouble big time. But despite the pain the result has been ZERO mass shooting murders since 1996. You have to admit thats not a bad outcome.

Now look I know the USA is a totally different story - but surely something can be learned from that

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So is it wrong to defend yourself and your family and those around us? If someone is violently attacking your children will you say to them, "stop that, Jesus and His followers weren't armed."? I doubt it, you will do whatever it takes to protect them.

What about "Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus." They were armed. They had to be and Jesus was okay with that since he said "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." The sword has been replaced with a firearm these days. No difference, we need them because that's what the people who want to harm other people are using.
Then perhaps your society would be better following simon's examples and get rid of your guns in favour of swords. :) dont take me seriously Im being a lil cheeky with you.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jesus and His followers weren't armed. Is there any command in the scriptures to arm oneself ?

Exodus 22:2
“If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed;

Luke 22:49
When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?”

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Police have taken Nikolas de Jesus Cruz into custody.

There have been 18 school attacks in the past six weeks.

If teachers were armed there would not be as many deaths.

Liberals are causing the deaths of many children by their rules.

Nikolas Cruz, identified as Florida high school shooting suspect, reportedly showed warning signs

So, you arm teachers and that simply escalates the stakes. The next step by the determined assassin would be lobbing hand grenades into schools through windows; grenades would take out a class in one go and are easier to hide, so multiple grenades could be carried in pockets, unobservable compared to using guns. Then what?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So, you arm teachers and that simply escalates the stakes. The next step by the determined assassin would be lobbing hand grenades into schools through windows; grenades would take out a class in one go and are easier to hide, so multiple grenades could be carried in pockets, unobservable compared to using guns. Then what?
are you allowed to purchase hand grenades in the USA? is it legal?

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If violence is not met with violence, then the unrighteous rule the world.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It may be interesting to note in this forum that it seems that at least 40% of the students were Jews. That begs the question as to whether it was also a racist /anti-semitic attack?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If violence is not met with violence, then the unrighteous rule the world.

In the UK ALL schools have locked outer doors. Entrance is only allowed to those who have legitimate business in the school. Anyone who tries to gain access in other ways would soon find the police speaking to them. Why do schools in the US not adopt this same, simple method - anyone trying to get in with a gun in their hands, or with no legitimate business, would not be allowed through the front doors in the first place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In the UK ALL schools have locked outer doors. Entrance is only allowed to those who have legitimate business in the school. Anyone who tries to gain access in other ways would soon find the police speaking to them. Why do schools in the US not adopt this same, simple method - anyone trying to get in with a gun in their hands, or with no legitimate business, would not be allowed through the front doors in the first place.
Our legislators are ding dongs half the time.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Our legislators are ding dongs half the time.

It might be cheaper, in terms of young lives being lost, to make sure the schools are safe in the first place. We learned our lesson from the Dunblane Massacre in 1996 when 26 lives were lost when a gunman entered a junior school and massacred children and staff.

If the staff, or the education authorities, in the US can't be bothered, get your government reps to start shouting for these minor, but significant, changes in all schools: No legitimate business = no entry. Attempts to force the way in would result in the auto alarm to the local police station being activated immediately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Police have taken Nikolas de Jesus Cruz into custody.

There have been 18 school attacks in the past six weeks.

If teachers were armed there would not be as many deaths.

Liberals are causing the deaths of many children by their rules.

Nikolas Cruz, identified as Florida high school shooting suspect, reportedly showed warning signs
I am an arch conservative, but I don't blame liberals for this. I blame Cruz.
There are and always will be evil people amongst us.
The system failed here though-again. He was reported as being suspicious and capable of this type of criminal act. Nothing was done.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You left out the part where Jesus tells Peter to put his sword away ... and heals the wounded man's ear ...

BTW ... the scriptures say that Jesus instructed His disciples to buy swords ... so that the scriptures would be fullfilled ...

Luke 22

36 Then said He unto them, “But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it and likewise his pack; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

37 For I say unto you that this that is written must yet be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was reckoned among the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end.”

I'm not arguing with your right to own a gun, ... just pointing out that you'll find little in scripture to support it.

Certainly not the Jesus Who said ... "Turn the other cheek ... "

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ancient of Days

Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So basically what your saying is if you or your family is violently attacked you will stand there and watch your family be slaughtered? How noble of you.

It is also written: " But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

Providing for your own house goes well beyond paying the bills.

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
are you allowed to purchase hand grenades in the USA? is it legal?

No. The reason we have the second amendment is to keep the government in its place. The right to bear arms comes from God not from a government. As do all of my other rights.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No. The reason we have the second amendment is to keep the government in its place. The right to bear arms comes from God not from a government. As do all of my other rights.

So when does this admirable concept really begin - it seems to have failed so far! Over 300 million people have guns and yet the US Government cannot solve the problem of mass shootings in schools (let alone in other places).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It may be interesting to note in this forum that it seems that at least 40% of the students were Jews. That begs the question as to whether it was also a racist /anti-semitic attack?
They said on the news the shooter was a member of a white nationalist group, so it could have been a racist/antisemitic attack.

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
They said on the news the shooter was a member of a white nationalist group, so it could have been a racist/antisemitic attack.
That was fake news propagated by the ACLU. The leader of the RoF who stated Cruz was trained by the group recently prased Norwegian mass killer Anders reivik as a 'hero'. He also posted a strategy for creating 'lone wolf activists'.

It's said this fake news is actually a 4chan prank to further inflame the anti-Trump (american) agenda.

"The power of the internet troll is more prevalent today than it ever has been in history."
http://theredelephants.com/internet...eving-shooter-member-white-nationalist-group/

• Informative
Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0