Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But Florida’s system wasn’t just tightfisted; it was also underfunded. Early in Scott’s tenure, the reserves available to pay out unemployment claims ran out. So the tea-partyer faced a choice: He could either raise taxes on businesses to maintain the program or slash benefits for workers amid high unemployment to maintain low taxes on businesses.

He chose the latter. Unemployed Floridians used to receive up to 26 weeks in benefits; Scott cut that to 12 (though the cap does rise gradually after the state’s unemployment rate exceeds 5 percent). He established a new rule requiring the program’s beneficiaries to meet with at least five prospective employers a week to retain their benefits; eliminated the options of applying for benefits over the phone or in person, forcing all laid-off Floridians to sign up through (a poorly designed, underfunded) website; and he made it easier for employers to “prove” that their laid-off workers had been fired for cause and thus did not qualify for benefits — a change employers eagerly sought as their unemployment-insurance tax rates are partly tied to how many of their former workers qualify for aid. Meanwhile, Scott retained the state’s exceptionally low weekly benefit cap, and an eligibility formula that excludes part-time and seasonal workers, even as a supermajority of U.S. states updated their formulas to include such laborers.

As a result, businesses in Florida pay an average yearly unemployment-insurance tax of $50 per employee — the lowest rate in the country, and less than one-fifth of the national average.

Another result of Scott’s changes: Florida is completely unequipped to process the deluge of unemployment-insurance claims that the coronavirus pandemic has set off.

Florida GOP Realizes Deliberately Impoverishing the Unemployed Has Downsides

~~~~~~~~~~

Even though jobseekers can’t fail the review, labor advocates said having to deal with it at all is a problem for some.

“The time it takes to complete the 45-question examination necessarily lengthens the initial claim process for the average unemployed worker to one hour and 15 minutes,” worker advocacy groups said in a formal complaint last year. “For workers who are not literate or computer-literate, navigating this process in which there is effectively no available personal assistance will take much longer.”

In the first months after its implementation the state denied benefits to tens of thousands of workers because they didn’t finish the assessment, according to the complaint filed by the National Employment Law Project and Florida Legal Services. In response, a Scott spokeswoman said, “we owe it to those looking for work to make sure they have the skills employers are looking for, and to provide skills training where it is lacking.” The complaint is still pending.

As for the demo review itself, the math questions were straightforward arithmetic, while a few of the reading questions were more abstract: “What relationships can be shown when using multiple graphics with either positive or negative numbers?” Claimants could choose from four answers, including, “They can compare aspects of similar components” or “One graphic can amplify an aspect of another” or “All of the above.”

Rick Scott's Unemployment Scheme Exposed

~~~~~~~~~~

TALLAHASSEE — The man in charge of Florida’s broken unemployment website apologized Thursday for the fiasco and said the department is reverting to paper applications for people seeking relief.

“From my heart, I apologize for what you’re going through,” Florida Department of Economic Opportunity Executive Director Ken Lawson said during a morning meeting on the teleconference app Zoom. “There’s a full commitment from me, personally and professionally, to get you the resources you need from my department.”

‘I apologize’ for Florida’s unemployment website fiasco, director says

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How is that even possible?
It forces those that held well paying jobs to aim lower. Much lower. One could always apply for five dish washer jobs a week. Of course that is a terrible waste of talent. If one had a professional job it would not be an easy task at all.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It forces those that held well paying jobs to aim lower. Much lower. One could always apply for five dish washer jobs a week. Of course that is a terrible waste of talent. If one had a professional job it would not be an easy task at all.

It's also a collective waste of everyone's time. Employers with entry-level/unskilled positions won't hire skilled professionals, because they know said professionals are likely to quit at the first opportunity.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But Florida’s system wasn’t just tightfisted; it was also underfunded. Early in Scott’s tenure, the reserves available to pay out unemployment claims ran out. So the tea-partyer faced a choice: He could either raise taxes on businesses to maintain the program or slash benefits for workers amid high unemployment to maintain low taxes on businesses.

He chose the latter. Unemployed Floridians used to receive up to 26 weeks in benefits; Scott cut that to 12 (though the cap does rise gradually after the state’s unemployment rate exceeds 5 percent). He established a new rule requiring the program’s beneficiaries to meet with at least five prospective employers a week to retain their benefits; eliminated the options of applying for benefits over the phone or in person, forcing all laid-off Floridians to sign up through (a poorly designed, underfunded) website; and he made it easier for employers to “prove” that their laid-off workers had been fired for cause and thus did not qualify for benefits — a change employers eagerly sought as their unemployment-insurance tax rates are partly tied to how many of their former workers qualify for aid. Meanwhile, Scott retained the state’s exceptionally low weekly benefit cap, and an eligibility formula that excludes part-time and seasonal workers, even as a supermajority of U.S. states updated their formulas to include such laborers.

As a result, businesses in Florida pay an average yearly unemployment-insurance tax of $50 per employee — the lowest rate in the country, and less than one-fifth of the national average.

Another result of Scott’s changes: Florida is completely unequipped to process the deluge of unemployment-insurance claims that the coronavirus pandemic has set off.

Florida GOP Realizes Deliberately Impoverishing the Unemployed Has Downsides

~~~~~~~~~~

Even though jobseekers can’t fail the review, labor advocates said having to deal with it at all is a problem for some.

“The time it takes to complete the 45-question examination necessarily lengthens the initial claim process for the average unemployed worker to one hour and 15 minutes,” worker advocacy groups said in a formal complaint last year. “For workers who are not literate or computer-literate, navigating this process in which there is effectively no available personal assistance will take much longer.”

In the first months after its implementation the state denied benefits to tens of thousands of workers because they didn’t finish the assessment, according to the complaint filed by the National Employment Law Project and Florida Legal Services. In response, a Scott spokeswoman said, “we owe it to those looking for work to make sure they have the skills employers are looking for, and to provide skills training where it is lacking.” The complaint is still pending.

As for the demo review itself, the math questions were straightforward arithmetic, while a few of the reading questions were more abstract: “What relationships can be shown when using multiple graphics with either positive or negative numbers?” Claimants could choose from four answers, including, “They can compare aspects of similar components” or “One graphic can amplify an aspect of another” or “All of the above.”

Rick Scott's Unemployment Scheme Exposed

~~~~~~~~~~

TALLAHASSEE — The man in charge of Florida’s broken unemployment website apologized Thursday for the fiasco and said the department is reverting to paper applications for people seeking relief.

“From my heart, I apologize for what you’re going through,” Florida Department of Economic Opportunity Executive Director Ken Lawson said during a morning meeting on the teleconference app Zoom. “There’s a full commitment from me, personally and professionally, to get you the resources you need from my department.”

‘I apologize’ for Florida’s unemployment website fiasco, director says

Very informative. How do we know though that the Florida GOP is realizing how bad those unemployment rules were (are)?

Wow, but what a terrible set of rules Scott created!

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Very informative. How do we know though that the Florida GOP is realizing how bad those unemployment rules were (are)?

I doubt did he is probably realized before but he had choice make and choose place businesses ahead of people. And figured it'd just be a problem for small enough percentage of people it wouldn't be an issue for him.
I'm glad I live in Ohio.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

They'll figure it out if they end up on Unemployment or someone they know does.

It's easier to be less merciful when you're not worried about being in the position where you need help.

Upvote 0

lordjeff

Nov 6, 2019
Cromwell
✟16,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One thing people need to understand is that govt is really not sposed to support you for a lifetime. If they extend unemployement benefits too far, it removes the incentive to work. Without those people in the workforce, less taxes come in so some choices have to be made-how do any budgets get done? For those who are working, sooner or later they're going to say they're tired of supporting everyone else & the whole system falls apart. Now given the current pandemic I can see this is far off the norm. But likewise I see 2 modes of dependency here that people must always question. The model of taking from Peter to pay Paul always runs out of someone's money. Politiicans love to spend money on people when it makes them look like Santa Claus. If people are complaining about how long or difficult the claims process is, I have no sympathy. UCB is just another aspect of a socialized welfare system. You will have to put up with the bureaucracy-it's called numbers. There's going to be a wait time if you have 45,000 people in line vs 4,500-what did one expect. The same can be said for a single payor system. That's the real world. Now my next point is this: you never outsource your country on any major things to run a country-be it energy, healthcare supplies, or defense. Remember Ross Perot-he warned us 28 years ago. After Nafta the lid came off & many companies shifted their labor overseas. Well one bad curse with that was it reduced the volume of w/h & fica tax going into the treasury. I would hope we have learned our lesson after this pandemic. Those jobs need to come back here. Now American labor will be a higher cost & that in turn will pressure wages up. It will then be up to a Board of Directors to say to the CEO ok can you live on $100 million as opposed to $400 million. The company can still make profits--it's just that instead of owning 8 houses they will have to cut to 4-that's the cultural change needed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One thing people need to understand is that govt is really not sposed to support you for a lifetime. If they extend unemployement benefits too far, it removes the incentive to work. Without those people in the workforce, less taxes come in so some choices have to be made-how do any budgets get done? For those who are working, sooner or later they're going to say they're tired of supporting everyone else & the whole system falls apart. Now given the current pandemic I can see this is far off the norm. But likewise I see 2 modes of dependency here that people must always question. The model of taking from Peter to pay Paul always runs out of someone's money. Politiicans love to spend money on people when it makes them look like Santa Claus. If people are complaining about how long or difficult the claims process is, I have no sympathy. UCB is just another aspect of a socialized welfare system. You will have to put up with the bureaucracy-it's called numbers. There's going to be a wait time if you have 45,000 people in line vs 4,500-what did one expect. The same can be said for a single payor system. That's the real world. Now my next point is this: you never outsource your country on any major things to run a country-be it energy, healthcare supplies, or defense. Remember Ross Perot-he warned us 28 years ago. After Nafta the lid came off & many companies shifted their labor overseas. Well one bad curse with that was it reduced the volume of w/h & fica tax going into the treasury. I would hope we have learned our lesson after this pandemic. Those jobs need to come back here. Now American labor will be a higher cost & that in turn will pressure wages up. It will then be up to a Board of Directors to say to the CEO ok can you live on $100 million as opposed to $400 million. The company can still make profits--it's just that instead of owning 8 houses they will have to cut to 4-that's the cultural change needed.

Normally UI only pays a percentage of your salary, most folks will work rather than just collect. The issue with this is that Scott deliberately made the application process harder to discourage people so that he can claim low numbers. He intentionally sought to harm those he was supposedly elected to serve.

This may not seem like a big deal, but when this can be the difference between someone starving or going on welfare, as far as I'm concerned, its criminal.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
One thing people need to understand is that govt is really not sposed to support you for a lifetime. If they extend unemployement benefits too far, it removes the incentive to work.

People will usually work if they can, there is no need to punish most people because some act poorly. Unemployment benefits are meant to be a sort of safety net so people can organize and go about their lives without fear of losing everything if a job should suddenly disappear, often through no fault of the person doing the work.

The governor of Florida here was doing what many like to do, play politics and appeal to the people who feel safe in their employment that he is harsh with those who haven't found work.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They'll figure it out if they end up on Unemployment or someone they know does.

It's easier to be less merciful when you're not worried about being in the position where you need help.
I doubt it, here in NC the state drastically reduced the amount and duration of unemployment benefits with the bill introduced by a person who has just been making use of those benefits.

Upvote 0

lordjeff

Nov 6, 2019
Cromwell
✟16,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
1 thing I hope we learn from this pandemic is all those jobs must come back & hopefully this will create opps for people to find employment. No one should like an environment when you say have 700 applicants for 30 jobs. Most will go home disappointed. We have to get out of this imperialist mercantilism of outsourcing our labor. Absolutely no reason why Americans & naturalized Americans can't do these here, we did it in the war years.

Upvote 0