Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,404.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
How about this piece, which outlines everything hing including the research to show that masks are not effective. There are a lot of links to research and information.

Masking: A Careful Review of the Evidence – AIER
Oh man. Do I have to address a low quality source that doesn't seem to link to any mask related research that is newer than May last year. And it's embarrassing to think that would actually still reflect current data.

His research on school closures IS impressive but mask wearing? One terrible old source.

Not impressive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
To trust covid numbers coming out of Florida is a misguided beginning step I think

Exactly. Raise your hand if you think this is an accurate representation of the situation over the past week in Florida with respect to COVID-19 deaths.

upload_2021-8-19_9-30-33.png

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I saw this tonight and immediately thought of this thread: "Orlando officials are urging residents to reduce their water consumption amid efforts to divert liquid oxygen used for cleaning the water supply to hospitals for COVID-19 patients."

Apparently continuing to "kill it" includes killing the clean water supply.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Exactly. Raise your hand if you think this is an accurate representation of the situation over the past week in Florida with respect to COVID-19 deaths.

View attachment 304607

Look at that chart again. Deaths appear to peak at 120 per day and decline.

In fact, now that Florida has released its weekly data, the state averaged more than 200 deaths per day in the past week.

Florida once again broke a coronavirus death toll record as its case count soared past 3 million Friday. The state logged 150,740 new COVID-19 cases and 1,486 deaths among residents over the past week, more than it ever has.

The current graph at CDC looks very similar in shape. It now peaks at about 150 deaths per day and falls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A less than perfect fit helps block most of the dust, for quite a while.

It's factual and based on huge experience, where the precise situation is really simple and clear.

Infectious particles are roughly <5 μm in size, invisible to the naked eye. This is not an analogous comparison to dust. Not even close.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Infectious particles are roughly <5 μm in size, invisible to the naked eye. This is not an analogous comparison to dust. Not even close.
Most of the virus expelled from someone sneezing or talking loudly is not in individual viral particles, but instead in droplets (mucous or water) (*). They are generally vastly larger than viral particles. By blocking these easy-to-block droplets (of a wide range of sizes), masks can greatly reduce the amount of virus breathed in vs. having no mask at all. Having a smaller amount of virus entering your airways you will allow you to experience a less severe illness.

(* -- The airborne lifetime of small speech droplets and their potential importance in SARS-CoV-2 transmission)

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By blocking these easy-to-block droplets (of a wide range of sizes), masks can greatly reduce the amount of virus breathed in vs. having no mask at all.

You keep telling yourself that.

As I mentioned on another thread, a week away from this forum while I was on vacation has given me time to reflect and there just is no value to be found in arguing with strangers on the Internet. Even though we strongly disagree, I have enjoyed my conversations with you more than most on this forum, so I thank you for keeping the conversation respectful and polite, even in the disagreements.

And now, I will fade into the background to return to my occasional lurking.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You keep telling yourself that.

As I mentioned on another thread, a week away from this forum while I was on vacation has given me time to reflect and there just is no value to be found in arguing with strangers on the Internet. Even though we strongly disagree, I have enjoyed my conversations with you more than most on this forum, so I thank you for keeping the conversation respectful and polite, even in the disagreements.

And now, I will fade into the background to return to my occasional lurking.
8 minutes is long enough to get infected of course.

The airborne lifetime of small speech droplets and their potential importance in SARS-CoV-2 transmission

It's not important to 'win' arguments; and the real winning is to seek to learn. If I learned tomorrow that delta eschews droplets, goes mostly out of droplets in some weird or unique way, like oil and water or whatever, I'd be happy to then change my view in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said President Biden has failed to “end covid” and should follow his state’s lead, even as Florida experiences record-breaking cases, deaths and hospitalizations.

Florida is now reporting an average of 227 covid-19 deaths each day — a state record and by far the highest count in the nation.

The state reported more than 26,000 new coronavirus infections Wednesday, and 17,164 people were hospitalized with the virus, nearly tripling the hospitalization rate in the past month, according to federal data.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said President Biden has failed to “end covid” and should follow his state’s lead, even as Florida experiences record-breaking cases, deaths and hospitalizations.

Florida is now reporting an average of 227 covid-19 deaths each day — a state record and by far the highest count in the nation.

The state reported more than 26,000 new coronavirus infections Wednesday, and 17,164 people were hospitalized with the virus, nearly tripling the hospitalization rate in the past month, according to federal data.

US media – rather then reporting every minute what is going on in Afghanistan, please report the COVID crisis in FL and TX.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
US media – rather then reporting every minute what is going on in Afghanistan, please report the COVID crisis in FL and TX.

Oops, I'm sorry. I may have misinterpreted your comment.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I agree and like a lot of stuff of Florida and Ron DeSantis, but this one area I might do differently if I was governor. I guess I would be willing to let the Cruise lines run things according to how they see fit, and let the market place motivate them to relax their standards over time.
I'm not in favor of vaccine passports but hey.....if they did have them with Cruise liners let's see how well they do with infection Covid cases. It could actually serve to be a test system to see how well all vaccinated people do.

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
my province is heading towards a two part vaccine passport, though how it's going to be enforced who knows. But by September 13th you need evidence of your first shot, and October 24th you will need evidence of your second shot to do any non essential things. Movies, resteraunts, bars and such, though grocery stores and such won't require.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Sure sign of a successful COVID strategy:

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — The morgues for some hospitals are at capacity and additional refrigeration units ordered to handle the overflow ... are almost full, too, Orange County officials confirmed Thursday at a regular COVID-19 news conference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Although Florida's postdating of deaths is disguising the current situation, the 7-day moving average reached its highest point ever during the entire pandemic. Almost 250 COVID deaths per day. Not clear if that will be the ultimate high point, or if that's still coming. I suspect it has not peaked.

Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Although Florida's postdating of deaths is disguising the current situation, the 7-day moving average reached its highest point ever during the entire pandemic. Almost 250 COVID deaths per day. Not clear if that will be the ultimate high point, or if that's still coming. I suspect it has not peaked.

That s awful and all preventable, truly a pandemic of the unvaccinated :(

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
That s awful and all preventable, truly a pandemic of the unvaccinated :(

I think Florida, fortunately given its elderly population, is roughly at the national average for vaccinations. But the governor has been against masks and shutdowns. (and the state is making some efforts to obfuscate how bad the situation is.)

Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
14 Portable Morgues Heading To Central Florida Hospitals Amid ‘Unprecedented Deaths’
After overwhelming numbers of COVID-19 cases, hospitals are running out of room for bodies.

AdventHealth, which is getting three of the portable morgues, said in a statement to WESH Channel 2 that the system is also renting refrigerated units at 10 sites in Orange, Osceola, Polk, Seminole and Volusia counties, noting that they are also being filled.

A sure sign that Florida is "killing it". Of course, it is impolite to use the word "it" to apply to children and others who are dying.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0