Floating Feeling While Praying - Can the Holy Spirit Make You Feel Dizzy?

H

HeyAndy

About a month ago while I was praying I had this sensation. It was like as if my soul was spinning around as I was praying very hard. It almost felt physical. I never had this kind of experience before.

Thinking about this now I'm unsure if this is a good or bad thing and whether or not it was from God.

Has anyone been through this kind of experience before?

Reactions: Isabel7M7L7H

locrian93

Feb 19, 2013
Costa Rica
✟7,627.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Does it bring you peace? If it does, it will most probably come from God. Don't forget that God's presence is always there when you pray, wether you "feel" it or not, sometimes He decides to go direct to your spirit without touching the soul (where the "feelings" are).

Reactions: Isabel7M7L7H
Upvote 0
H

HeyAndy

Does it bring you peace? If it does, it will most probably come from God. Don't forget that God's presence is always there when you pray, wether you "feel" it or not, sometimes He decides to go direct to your spirit without touching the soul (where the "feelings" are).

I remember feeling the peace as soon as the sensation subsided.

Upvote 0
H

HeyAndy

Was it a tingling sensation across your shoulders or your back?

I don't remember. Maybe. I did felt something in heart.

The sensation felt like I was spinning around even though I wasn't physically wise. I also remember the sensation that something in me was lifted up high. In a way it's similar to the feeling you get when you coast down the highest part of a roller coaster.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
Well, you have the Pentecostal answer, here is the Lutheran position on such things...

"In short, enthusiasm clings to Adam and his descendants from the beginning to the end of the world. It is a poison implanted and inoculated in man by the old dragon, and is the source, strength, and power of all heresy, including that of the Papacy and Mohammedanism. Accordingly, we should and must constantly maintain that God will not deal with us except through his external Word and sacrament. Whatever is attributed to the Spirit apart from such Word and sacrament is of the devil."

-The Smalcald Articles, Part III, Article VIII

Not that what you felt was necessarily demonic, as what you were feeling was most likely you. Mysticism, seeking god in the emotions and immediate (un-mediated) experiences of the divine is the natural religion of mankind. Look around, every religion has it's mystics, if the religion itself is not pure mysticism. Mysticism at best means you're looking to your fallible self to find God or the evidence of God's blessing or favor or gifting or some such, at worst it means being deceived by demonic experiences and revelation to preach and/or believe heretical doctrine(in the quote above, the Pope claims a direct line to God, and Mohammed claimed to receive revelation outside of scripture). Remember also that the Pentecostal movement includes the anti-Trinitarian "Oneness Pentecostals".

Not that emotional or sensational response to things like praying are necessarily bad, but recognize that such is your reaction and don't look for God in your emotions. As others pointed out, he is there whether you feel him or not. Don't fall into the pit of gauging God's presence by how you feel, that will lead to pride or despair("I have God!" or "I've lost him"), and chasing that mystical experience to the detriment of true worship and prayer (modern "Praise and Worship" music for example is designed to seek a mystical experience, at the expense of confessing sound doctrine)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AnthonyMichaelPraisesGod

blessedandtotallyworthy
Sep 6, 2012
in a mystery
Visit site
✟8,219.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
i have had very intense experiences and i agree that this was intercession. traveling in, or being moved by the Spirit can be very intense, even uncomfortable, but even if you don't believe it was of our Lord, which i strongly do, i would refrain from calling anything unfamiliar demonic. in my own experiences, i warn others against accusing things of being demonic, because i have had demonic experiences, and they are weak... after experiencing the, forgive the metaphor, deep, colorful richness of the Spirit, demonic entities pale in comparison like weak tea.... i know that intercession can be a little intimidating and overwhelming, but our God is a mighty river. believe me though, brother, i do understand your concern. He is truly awesome, and He can be totally overwhelming. i hope that i have helped and i pray for further protection, guidance, and peace in your life. welcome to the kingdom, brother. <3

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AnthonyMichaelPraisesGod

blessedandtotallyworthy
Sep 6, 2012
in a mystery
Visit site
✟8,219.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Well, you have the Pentecostal answer, here is the Lutheran position on such things...

Not that what you felt was necessarily demonic, as what you were feeling was most likely you. Mysticism, seeking god in the emotions and immediate (un-mediated) experiences of the divine is the natural religion of mankind. Look around, every religion has it's mystics, if the religion itself is not pure mysticism. Mysticism at best means you're looking to your fallible self to find God or the evidence of God's blessing or favor or gifting or some such, at worst it means being deceived by demonic experiences and revelation to preach and/or believe heretical doctrine(in the quote above, the Pope claims a direct line to God, and Mohammed claimed to receive revelation outside of scripture). Remember also that the Pentecostal movement includes the anti-Trinitarian "Oneness Pentecostals".

Not that emotional or sensational response to things like praying are necessarily bad, but recognize that such is your reaction and don't look for God in your emotions. As others pointed out, he is there whether you feel him or not. Don't fall into the pit of gauging God's presence by how you feel, that will lead to pride or despair("I have God!" or "I've lost him"), and chasing that mystical experience to the detriment of true worship and prayer (modern "Praise and Worship" music for example is designed to seek a mystical experience, at the expense of confessing sound doctrine)

and while i do not necessarily agree or disagree, i really appreciate your posting this, brother. this is good advice, and our Lord is omnipotent. even i get wrapped up in this so may our Lord bless you for sharing water with me to further our perspectives. praise be to our gracious God. <3 :bow:

Upvote 0

Abeazishar

Mar 8, 2016
Trinidad and Tobago
✟15,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
About a month ago while I was praying I had this sensation. It was like as if my soul was spinning around as I was praying very hard. It almost felt physical. I never had this kind of experience before.

Thinking about this now I'm unsure if this is a good or bad thing and whether or not it was from God.

Hello HeyAndy,
I was praying some days ago and felt that everything started to spin. I believe it was the Holy Spirit. It was peaceful. God acknowledges us in various ways. Be Blessed in Jesus name.

Upvote 0

Samuel_Alexander

Jun 5, 2017
San Pedro
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I know exactly what you are talking about I experience it when I pray from the heart it is gods love I know it, it is the most amazing feeling ever no high or [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] can make you feel that way. I experience it either as soon as I start praying or when I look up while praying and say in the name of your son

Upvote 0

lunabeam

Elizabeth Jane
Aug 24, 2015
The Midwest
Visit site
✟8,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's the Holy Spirit man!! Isn't it wonderful? Ahhhh, I love that feeling. But I agree with the top comment, if you don't have a peace about this feeling, it isn't from God. Here's something to help with that:

1 Corinthians 14:33 — "For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints."

:highbrightness::heartpulse:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rob Leto

Jan 9, 2019
Los Angeles
✟15,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It's been some time since you posted this. I had this feeling as well. Oddly enough it happened while I prayed inside of a drive-thru carwash. Having read some of the replies I suggest you do not listen to the people telling you that it is evil. That is so ridiculous. I actually kind of panicked and opened my eyes to check my surroundings mostly to see if anyone could see me. When my prayers have the right intent and are focused on God's will, my eyes kind of look up. The spinning sensation (not a dizzying sensation) increased. My eyes may have been fluttering. At the time in my life, I was reading the bible daily, praying throughout the day, and listening to a lot of worship music. In other words I was in tune. I wish to this day that I'd kept my eyes closed as it has never happened again in the same way. I believe in sanctification and I believe this sensation was part of it. Meaning my ego was ceasing momentarily and the spirit was prevailing within my body. However, I don't know exactly why the feeling occurred other than sincere prayer.

Upvote 0

Joshua Torres

Apr 24, 2020
Miami ,Fl
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship

I’ve had this sensation like whenever I pray with someone else or at church I’ll get a sort of dizziness or type of feeling as if I’m high off a edible or joint but it’s a warm feeling and feels like god is directly feeling My prayer

Upvote 0

Nostar+Public

Mar 9, 2021
Queens
✟15,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I too have been experiencing this as well. It can happen when I am praying alone or with others around. I can never really predict when it will happen but when it does it feels as if there is a gyroscope moving miles an hour in my mind. Spinning and spinning sometimes to the point where I cant continue to pray. The only time that I was able to overcome this was when I asked the Lord to please calm it down while praying.

*Back Story*
This began one year when I went to visit my mother. During my vacation when I entered the house there were things happening that I started to pray about. Once I closed my eyes and began to pray there were 3 entities (I believe that they were demons) showed up above my head as I was sitting down praying and I could see them speaking angrily as if they were cussing at me. When this happened I began to pray harder and while praying I began to feel this super fast spinning as if it was in the very center of my mind. Faster and faster, loop over loop like the rings in a gyroscope.

I thought that this was them attempting to curse and confuse me to stop me from praying. I dealt with it for some time after that and eventually met with a group of believers that prayed for me, and it seemed to have gone away at the time. I thought to myself why would God give me something that makes me feel an out of control spin when I pray. So once they prayed for me and it stopped I thought that was a good thing.

Well recently as of yesterday at the small group that I visit, it happened again. As our group was ending and someone was called to pray, i just so happen to have a hand up while I was moving my jacket so jokingly I got called out to pray. Kind of like an "Oh how nice of you to volunteer kind of thing". So I obliged and was kind of like okay you got me (Jokingly). Well when I started to pray I was just asking that the word the we had just received be made manifest in our lives. That Gods will would remain higher over ours in whatever circumstances that we are in and then Boom. Just like that after a few more words it was so intense that i had to stop.

There was quite the pause and then another member began to pick up and pray where I left off. I was thankful for that. But I am left wondering just what this is?

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I had that experience once and saw a doctor there was a medical cause.

Upvote 0