Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I visited an LCMS parish yesterday. They had changed their start time without updating any of their public listings. Consequently, I arrived as the processional hymn was coming to an end. This meant I had not had any opportunity to introduce myself or speak to the pastor in advance. (Although, with LCMS having been my introduction to liturgical Christianity and a history of about 3 1/2 years in LCMS churches slipping into the groove of a traditional Divine Service Setting IV was fairly intuitive.)

LCMS is well known for the Synodal communion policy of close communion. Members of other synods or churches are generally not encouraged to receive. In practice, there are districts and churches where adherence to the Synodal policy is loose.

I went forward with my children. This little store front church had no rail and was serving in a single file line as a Covid mitigation measure. I had my children go first so the pastor would have ample opportunity to notice that I was approaching with crossed arms, a generally understood signal that I was prepared to receive a blessing. He quietly told me to take the communion, which I did.

My question to the LCMS regulars is, how widely do you think the practice varies from the policy? My particular experience is that former military chaplains tend to be particularly flexible with the policy, which it turned out this pastor was.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was a intermittent attendee at an LCMS church before being a member at my current ELCA church. The pastor there had no issues communing me or my wife without any personal communication at all ahead, or after. At the time I was not aware of the LCMS practice of close/d communion, otherwise I would not have tried to partake.

From seeing other people there, I don't think they take particular care to refuse anyone that comes to the table.

Upvote 0

Praying Rose

Jan 11, 2020
USA
✟48,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I visited a local LCMS congregation about a year and a half ago. I was still in Catholic RCIA and I wanted to compare Catholic Mass with the Divine Service, since I had not been to one in 20 years or so. It is a wonderful little congregation, very much like the Lutheran church I grew up in.

Anyhow, I showed up just before the service started and did not have time to introduce myself or anything. Even though I was a stranger, I was actually invited to partake at the rails (pre-COVID) by the ushers, but I crossed my arms and politely declined, thinking that they would probably not want me to partake if they knew I was not LCMS Lutheran. I later learned that the congregation actually has open communion.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Do the LCMS members of this forum think the practice of being loose with communion is increasing or decreasing? I know some LCMS pastors who are nearing or at the end of their full-time ministerial careers who like to blame things like this on President Kieschnick, who has now been out of office for a decade. The St. Louis seminary also gets blamed from time to time.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The LCMS churches in our area are so strick with who receives communion I'm surprised they don't call out "THE DOORS, THE DOORS" before distributing the elements. ^_^

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The LCMS churches in our area are so strick with who receives communion I'm surprised they don't call out "THE DOORS, THE DOORS" before distributing the elements. ^_^

During our presanctified liturgy on Lenten Wednesdays, we still have this: :D

Deacon: All Catechumens, depart. The Catechumens, depart. All who are admitted for Illumination, depart. Pray, all you who preparing for Illumination. Let us pray to the Lord.

Cantor: Lord, have mercy.

Deacon: Catechumens, depart. Let none of the Catechumens remain.

Deacon: All we faithful once again in peace let us pray to the Lord.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,537.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Do the LCMS members of this forum think the practice of being loose with communion is increasing or decreasing? I know some LCMS pastors who are nearing or at the end of their full-time ministerial careers who like to blame things like this on President Kieschnick, who has now been out of office for a decade. The St. Louis seminary also gets blamed from time to time.
In our area, there are a few Parishes that are a bit more open that they should be. Never would any dishonor the indicated wishes of someone crossing their arms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,537.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Deacon: All Catechumens, depart. The Catechumens, depart. All who are admitted for Illumination, depart. Pray, all you who preparing for Illumination. Let us pray to the Lord.

This is the historic practice.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
In our area, there are a few Parishes that are a bit more open that they should be. Never would any dishonor the indicated wishes of someone crossing their arms.
I did not view it as rejecting my wishes but more as an affirmation of something like: you came in a few minutes late but you seem to know what's going on here so participate fully.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
But do they depart?
No not at our local Antiochian parish. At the catechism classes the priest explains the history of the practice. They are to return to their places after the blessing but its more about not approaching the Challis.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Do you only do this at the Pre-Sanctified liturgies? We do it at all Liturgies.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
But do they depart?
No, it’s a remnant from the days of persecution when only the baptized faithful could remain for the Holy Mysteries. It’s kept in as a reminder.

Although, I’ve heard that does happen at some monasteries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, it’s a remnant from the days of persecution when only the baptized faithful could remain for the Holy Mysteries. It’s kept in as a reminder.

Although, I’ve heard that does happen at some monasteries.

When we were at the end of our catechumate, we did stand in the narthex, but they kept the doors open so we could watch the remainder of the service. More symbolic than anything else.

Upvote 0

Roymond

Feb 1, 2022
Oregon
✟7,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Single
An interesting perspective on this:

While in college in Fort Wayne, Indiana, I met a guy whose job took him all over the country, and he often didn't know where he would be for the weekend. He carried with him a complete list of all LCMS churches, including colleges that had their own worship services. He also carried a photocopy of his Confirmation certificate along with the phone number of the pastor who signed it, so wherever he landed he could show he was confirmed LCMS.

Upvote 0

Christopher Range

Oct 5, 2022
Pittsboro
✟21,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I have been watching videos' of the services at my LCMS, instead of attending in person(Covid). I have seen the Pastor bless non-members and, giving Communion to members. That is what I was expecting. I would have been surprised, if gave Communion to non-members.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not sure I agree with closed communion.

I know I have saved brothers and sisters in other churches, and we'll be together in Heaven some day. So the idea that we can not share communion together here does not make sense to me - we can be together in Heaven, but not here on earth?

Personal struggle of mine. I personally know Lutherans, Catholics, and Charismatics that I believe will be in heaven some day together.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,537.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have been watching videos' of the services at my LCMS, instead of attending in person(Covid). I have seen the Pastor bless non-members and, giving Communion to members. That is what I was expecting. I would have been surprised, if gave Communion to non-members.
This is our practice; exactly.

Upvote 0