Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You take issue with the term "fleshly" because you are still in it and the Word convicts you of sin.

EDIT: Ironically, yesterday after I first wrote you (Tetra) about being "fleshly", I looked at inappropriate contentography for the first time a long time, committing adultery and fornication. :( So I judged you (Tetra) very harshly, and now God is judging me by my own standard. :( I just wanted to confess the Truth to everyone... God is Good. I am not. And I want to thank Jesus Christ, for who's sake, God is having mercy upon my soul right now...

Last edited:
Reactions: enigmadi
Upvote 0

enigmadi

Consecrated
Nov 17, 2011
United States
✟19,520.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find the term used by the Apostle Paul second letter written to the Corinthians:

2 Corinthians 1:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward.

--
From Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset, and David Brown: Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (1871)

godly sincerity—literally, “sincerity of God”; that is, sincerity as in the presence of God (1 Co 5:8). We glory in this in spite of all our adversities. Sincerity in Greek implies the non-admixture of any foreign element. He had no sinister or selfish aims (as some insinuated) in failing to visit them as he had promised: such aims belonged to his adversaries, not to him (2 Co 2:17). “Fleshly wisdom” suggests tortuous and insincere courses; but the “grace of God,” which influenced him by God’s gifts (Ro 12:3; 15:15), suggests holy straightforwardness and sincere faithfulness to promises (2 Co 1:17–20), even as God is faithful to His promises. The prudence which subserves selfish interests, or employs unchristian means, or relies on human means more than on the Divine Spirit, is “fleshly wisdom.”

The "flesh" refers to human urges and actions (not necessarily sexual but it can be as well as pride, judgment, etc.) rather than spiritual things.

Upvote 0