Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Growing up I always thought that my soul was put into my flesh and when I became a Christian my soul was clean because I had been forgiven and my soul was a new man...

I've pretty much accepted that we are body ,soul, and spirit...but really I have never looked it up in the bible and I know that many actually seem to get a grasp on interpretation of scripture because of it and I of course have just accepted it without understanding it...Is it very plain in the bible ? I have even heard that denominations have formed because of how the sword penetrates through these three...

Is it easy to find in the bible?

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So do the three in the bible get talked about individually?

Perhaps this will help break it down.

The Spirit is the real person.
That is where the Holy Spirit dwells in a born again person.

The Soul is the emotion, mind and will.

The Body is the "house" we live in on the planet.

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps this will help break it down.

The Spirit is the real person.
That is where the Holy Spirit dwells in a born again person.

The Soul is the emotion, mind and will.

The Body is the "house" we live in on the planet.

yes...this helps but then i think "what if I got in a car accident and my brain has been injured" I always thought the mind to be flesh...but if a accident has occurred then the soul has been injured? both injured?

oh I have alot of rethinking or relearning :)

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So do the three in the bible get talked about individually?
The spirit of the Adam creation is one spirit -Malachi 2:15
Each seed come to fruit in the Adam creation -in their pre-ordained season as written in the Book of Life- is quickened by that one Adam spirit which then builds the house [literally stretches it out, from the germinated egg] for the soul to indwell.

You are a soul dwelling in your house/body and the Adam spirit is your nature which is the driving force of your Adam life.
We are born again from above when we are adopted into the One Living Spirit/Christ and that is regeneration, but the Adam nature is part of the Adam flesh, and the Adam flesh nature is that old man nature we must daily die to, and reckon dead with Christ, buried with Christ, and resurrected with Christ.

We await the adoption of our bodies which is the regeneration of the elements of them into the image of the New Man body of our Kinsman/Redeemer and Everlasting Father, who has cleansed our soul by His blood and removed our sin guilt by taking all our sins away [Isaiah 53], bearing them in His soul, in our place, and departing to Sheol below, with them, and there "ascribing them to Azazel".

Azazel is translated as scapegoat in the English because the book describing the meaning of the Day of Atonement which was to come and has come was put away in the fourth century by western Church leaders, though the Ehtiopian Jews who received the Gospel never put it away and kept it in their Bibles [the Book of Enoch]; but Azazel is the leader of the fallen Watcher angels to whom all sin was to be -and has been- ascribed/given, on the Day of Atonement.
Because Jesus gave our sins to Azazel which were laid on His soul for our Peace-and therefore they are also ascribed to the company of Azazel who followed him- we are now free to enter in to the presence of the Glory on high, in the Adopted Spirit of our soul, and will never be separated from the Glory again.

We only await the adoption of our bodies which will forever cut off from our being the old man, Adam nature flesh.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yes...this helps but then i think "what if I got in a car accident and my brain has been injured" I always thought the mind to be flesh...but if a accident has occurred then the soul has been injured? both injured?

The life is in the blood. As long as the blood flows the soul/life is in the flesh -no matter the damage of a brain.
The brain is the organ which the soul operates through for the flesh, but the soul is not absent when the brain is damaged. Only when the blood no longer flows through the flesh is the spirit and soul departed.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The body is the outward, visible part of our very being.
The soul is the inward, invisible part of our very being. It is our life; all living things have a soul.

We need both to be truly whole.

The spirit is unique to humanity; it is how we are made, unlike all other species, in God's Image and Likeness. It is where our relationship with God takes place. Our spirits are broken due to original sin.

Many Church Fathers teach a body-soul with the spirit as the highest functioning aspect of the soul. There is nothing wrong with this, but it does sort of muddle the importance of the spirit, although at the same time separating the spirit entirely from the soul muddles the sacramental nature of humanity (we're not a third thing).

Upvote 0

def

Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2010
✟89,770.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"And the LORD God formed man of the dustof the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. "

dust + spirit = living soul

I see the living soul as a functioning person. When a person dies, the body returns to ground and the spirit returns to God (Eccl 12:7).

For a born again person:
dust + spirit/Holy Spirit = living soul

When the person dies, the spirit/Holy Spirit still remains. Therefore, the living soul is still a functioning entity, later clothe with an imperishable body.

Reactions: TamaraLynne
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There are, basically, three standard views about the human person:

The classic view, known as the dichotomous view, holds that the human person is a union of body and soul ("spirit" being synonymous with the soul). A body without a soul is a corpse, a soul without a body is naked.

Another view is popular, best as I can tell, from Evangelical quarters, and it's known as the trichotomous view. The human person is a trichotomy of body, soul, and spirit.

The third view is known as the psychosomatic union, literally "soul-body union", saying that the human person contains no duality, but is a unitary creature both fleshy and spiritual.

Personally speaking I think that if we look solely to how Scripture speaks, Scripture offers something between the dichotomous view and the psychosomatic view. Scripture emphasizes human beings as robust creatures, without being bogged down too much with Greek philosophical categories of "body" and "soul". Genesis, for example, states that man is a "living soul" (nephesh).

What is essential, however, is that we don't fall for the Gnostic trap of creating a false duality, where the body is simply a shell that houses the soul and/or spirit, with the latter being the "real person". Christianity teaches, explicitly, that human beings are creatures of flesh and bone, and that our salvation involves the resurrection of these things--there will be a resurrection of the body, of flesh and bone. Jesus Christ, our Lord, was raised, the tomb was empty, He was solid and retained the wounds in His hands and side.

The body rises to eternal life. That is our great and blessed hope (Titus 2:13, Philippians 3:21, 1 Corinthians 15:12-58, Romans 8:18-25, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The brain is a physical organ just like the lungs, heart, etc.

The brain is the "connector" between the spirit and soul, the real person and the body.

When the brain is injured that connection is partly broken and does not function as it should.

The person inside the body is not "injured'.

However their ability to communicate as well as perhaps their mobility is affected depending on the extent of the injury.

One could also say that the brain is the control center of the body through which the mind is able to carry out communication, movement, etc.

:)

Reactions: yeshuasavedme
Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The brain is a physical organ just like the lungs, heart, etc.

The brain is the "connector" between the spirit and soul, the real person and the body.

Gnosticism. As ViaCrucis explained, the idea that only the soul and/or spirit is the "real person" is utterly foreign to Christianity and is a product of Gnosticism. The physical is no less real or really us than the non-physical.

Jesus Himself is the only evidence I need to prove my theology. The vitality of the Incarnation cannot be taught alongside the theology you are promoting here; it is contrary to the very Nicene Creed.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
the brain is a physical organ, not the person.

when the body dies the brain goes with it.

The spirit and soul are separated from the body and goes to be with the Lord if the person is born again.

If the person is not born again they go to the spiritual prison called hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
the brain is a physical organ, not the person.

Straw Man. Furthermore, the brain is a necessary part of what makes a real person real.

when the body dies the brain goes with it.

Your point...?

The spirit and soul are separated from the body and goes to be with the Lord if the person is born again.

Not Biblical nor Christian. This is Gnostic.

If the person is not born again they go to the spiritual prison called hell.

Ditto my above.

The Holy Bible and the Christian religion teach that when the body dies, the soul and spirit dwell in sheol, called hades in the Greek, which is the immediate afterlife. There the continued healing of the broken part of human nature continues or ceases depending on whether the individual will be Judged as worthy or not on the last day. They are in the eternal Presence of God but only in the sense that God is everywhere; He has not left heaven; it is a foretaste of the experience of heaven or hell in sheol/hades. Only upon the Second Advent are we raised and Judged, and only then when Christ Judges the living and those who had died shall we experience hell or heaven.

Immediate heaven or hell is entirely foreign to historic, authentic, orthodox Christianity. It stems from Gnosticism, not God.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Straw Man. Furthermore, the brain is a necessary part of what makes a real person real...

The soul in the flesh is what makes a real person real, and the soul is not in the brain.

The life, which is also called the soul, is in the blood.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not Biblical nor Christian. This is Gnostic.
Totally biblical.
Since Jesus ascended on high all those born again in Spirit of Christ souls who depart the body at death of the flesh ascend on high to the City of God above, and they are with the LORD there, above, and with all the departed souls of all the righteous who were raised from Sheol below when Jesus rose from the dead and ascended on high, "taking captivity captive"; and all who had formerly been held captive in the first death were taken out of Sheol below.
To depart from the body is to be present with the LORD, said Paul, because that is what Jesus taught.
Even the thief on the cross never descended to Sheol below, but ascended to the City of God above where the Son of Man always was -even when He was come incarnate, in the New Man flesh.

Jesus promised the thief on the cross that "Today you will be with me in Paradise". Paradise is in the third heaven, said Paul, and Jesus said Paradise is where the Tree of Life is in the midst of, and Jesus said the Son of Man come down is the Son of Man in heaven, said Jesus in John 3 -both and at the same time; and the thief on the cross did not descend to Sheol when he died, but to Paradise in the third heaven, says Jesus.

Jesus said He is the Son of Man who is come down from heaven and is in heaven, meaning that the Son of Man is God in heaven on the throne above and is God dressed in the flesh created for His donning, below.
Jhn 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven [to the throne], but he that came down from heaven, [even] the Son of man which is in heaven.

Upvote 0