Flat Earthers, why do drops of liquids become round in free fall?

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Are you kidding me??-----How does the shadow of anything flat caste a shadow of something circular?? Just do it yourself---on the wall. Your using a wrong interpretation of some verses in the bible to say the earth is flat---but then, using those same verses in the bible, you would have to conclude that the earth is not only flat, but a flat square or rectangle---corners---you don't have corners on a circle. So hold up a flat square object between the light and the wall, no way you are going to get a circular shadow, no matter how you hold it.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Firstly: I'm not a Christian, and my views are not based on the Bible.

Secondly: If I shine a flashlight behind a (flat, but circular) coin onto the wall, the shadow appears circular.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Firstly: I'm not a Christian, and my views are not based on the Bible.

Secondly: If I shine a flashlight behind a (flat, but circular) coin onto the wall, the shadow appears circular.

I didn't notice the Buddhist --and you would only get a circular shadow if you hold the plate up instead of flat. It's impossible to get a circular shadow when the plate is flat, you were holding it on end.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I didn't notice the Buddhist --and you would only get a circular shadow if you hold the plate up instead of flat. It's impossible to get a circular shadow when the plate is flat, you were holding it on end.
I'm still not picturing what you're saying.

This is what I'm picturing:

FBilSr0.jpg

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
The very last one.
The last eclipse was the August 21st solar eclipse. It was not a lunar eclipse.

So, I'm not sure why you're referring to a solar eclipse, and posting pictures of a lunar eclipse.

You post states you left Christianity for Buddhism---were you a flat earth Christian, also? What reason do Buddhists give for being flat earthers, or is this just your own view?
I'm neither a flat or spherical earther or otherwise. I am merely here to point out arguments "from the other side" to balance out the argument. I am agnostic to the issue, as I have not seen the totality of the Earth for myself.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The last eclipse was the August 21st solar eclipse. It was not a lunar eclipse.

So, I'm not sure why you're referring to a solar eclipse, and posting pictures of a lunar eclipse.

I'm neither a flat or spherical earther or otherwise. I am merely here to point out arguments "from the other side" to balance out the argument. I am agnostic to the issue, as I have not seen the totality of the Earth for myself.

I see.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As I understand it, information is compartmentalized in government, so I wouldn't be surprised if only a few at the top knew the full story.

For starters, there could have been an appeal to their sense of responsibility, being informed that it was not in the world's best interest to know such a thing (e.g. massive social & economic implications, etc.); Or, they could've been informed of a positive personal interest to not reveal such a thing (e.g. monetary incentives), or a negative personal interest (e.g. threats against themselves or their loved ones).
Perhaps... but you are thinking about your own government. How many nations are involved in space flight or exploration today? How many hundreds of thousands of NASA employees have kept silent since the early 60's? How many astronomers? The earth isn't flat... this is internet pseudo-scholarship being accepted by Christians who have not been taught how to find answers on their own but rather who have only been fed "facts" as each denomination understands them. If we used true reasoning and weighed this out fairly... it is a landslide against the flat earth.

And nobody would have cared.... if it were flat or round that wouldn't have effected the economy... in fact, it would stimulate the economy because many books would need reprinting, maps, globes, all sorts of products tied to the new information.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps... but you are thinking about your own government. How many nations are involved in space flight or exploration today? How many hundreds of thousands of NASA employees have kept silent since the early 60's? How many astronomers?
How many of these individuals have seen the totality of the earth as a whole?

The earth isn't flat... this is internet pseudo-scholarship being accepted by Christians who have not been taught how to find answers on their own but rather who have only been fed "facts" as each denomination understands them.
I'm not a Christian, and your argument can be made against spherical earthers as well - most have been fed "facts" too.

If we used true reasoning and weighed this out fairly... it is a landslide against the flat earth.
That is subjective. I've seen the allegations and data from various sides, and no single side presents an open-and-shut case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How many of these individuals have seen the totality of the earth as a whole?

I'm not a Christian, and your argument can be made against spherical earthers as well - most have been fed "facts" too.

That is subjective. I've seen the allegations and data from various sides, and no single side presents an open-and-shut case.
Like I said... I have taken pictures of the moon and Mars and can prove they are round. It is very obvious and plain... so they are round and the earth is flat? That makes a lot of sense.

As for how many... enough have flown high enough to have seen the curve. And, the "science" used by flat earthers is weak and debunkable.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
We have sent satellites to other planets in our solar system. They are all spherical, not flat. Why would earth be the exception?
Nonsense. Almost all satellites are box-shaped with antennas and solar panels sticking out of them. When was the last time you saw a spherical satellite?

• Winner
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Like I said... I have taken pictures of the moon and Mars and can prove they are round.
I can see that they are round, but does it prove that they are spherical? A hilly disc is round too, and not necessarily spherical.

It is very obvious and plain... so they are round and the earth is flat? That makes a lot of sense.
If an orange is spherical, does that require pancakes to be spherical too?

As for how many... enough have flown high enough to have seen the curve.
The curve of what? The edge of a flat coin is also curved; it doesn't prove that a coin is spherical.

And, the "science" used by flat earthers is weak and debunkable.
That is an opinion, which you have a right to hold.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can see that they are round, but does it prove that they are spherical? A hilly disc is round too, and not necessarily spherical.

Find a good telescope... look at the moon along the light/dark line (better contrast). Notice the craters at the equator... you can see all sides/walls of the crater because it is facing directly at you. Kind of like if you dig a small hole and then stand directly over top... you can see the full hole. Now... look north to the furthest crater you can see. You can see the northern most wall of the crater and the rest if not visible to you. Look south and find the southern most crater you can see. Notice that you can see the southern wall but not the northern. Why is this? Because it is round and it is so easily visible with any decent telescope. We can do this on Mars as well.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Find a good telescope... look at the moon along the light/dark line (better contrast). Notice the craters at the equator... you can see all sides/walls of the crater because it is facing directly at you. Kind of like if you dig a small hole and then stand directly over top... you can see the full hole. Now... look north to the furthest crater you can see. You can see the northern most wall of the crater and the rest if not visible to you. Look south and find the southern most crater you can see. Notice that you can see the southern wall but not the northern. Why is this? Because it is round and it is so easily visible with any decent telescope. We can do this on Mars as well.
They do not necessarily have to be craters on a round sphere, they could be craters on a round dome:

100ft_dome.jpg

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They do not necessarily have to be craters on a round sphere, they could be craters on a round dome:

100ft_dome.jpg
Well, you are correct about that. However, I simply don't have the issue with the pictures you seem to have. And I also could take the time to lay out a real case, I mean... I actually have one... but I don't care. If you want to believe the earth is flat, that has no effect on me. And, though you do not share my religious views, mine would include the notion that whichever side you fall on here has no bearing on our relationship with God or His promises. So, it just doesn't matter.

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Well, you are correct about that. However, I simply don't have the issue with the pictures you seem to have. And I also could take the time to lay out a real case, I mean... I actually have one... but I don't care. If you want to believe the earth is flat, that has no effect on me. And, though you do not share my religious views, mine would include the notion that whichever side you fall on here has no bearing on our relationship with God or His promises. So, it just doesn't matter.
IMO both sides can offer data which supports a real case for their side. Since I have not and (most often) cannot verify their data firsthand, the argument will fall to a belief in their credibility and reputations.

As I've stated, I am agnostic on the issue.

Upvote 0