Flat Earthers, why do drops of liquids become round in free fall?

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because gravity is the same on all areas of the falling liquid. In earlier days, this was how shot was made. Liquid lead was poured through a screen at the top of a high tube. The screen broke up the stream of liquid lead into discreet blobs that became perfectly round as they fell. At the bottom of the tank there was a pool of water that cooled the shot.

The earth is round for the same reason: gravity is the same on all sides forming a sphere.

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
If gravity is the same on all areas of the falling liquid, then why would liquid lead fall in one direction (towards the Earth)?

Because gravity acts on the mass of the lead blob as well as its surfaces. All planetary bodies larger than about 200 km are spherical, not flat.

If they were flat, gravity would only be acting in two dimensions, not three.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Because gravity acts on the mass of the lead blob as well as its surfaces. All planetary bodies larger than about 200 km are spherical, not flat.

If they were flat, gravity would only be acting in two dimensions, not three.
You initially wrote that "gravity is the same on all sides forming a sphere", but now, you're seemingly implying that gravity is equally affecting every molecule in the shot when you say "gravity acts on the mass"?

Gravity acting on the mass does not seem to explain why it would turn into a sphere; the whole mass could just fall towards the Earth without becoming spherical.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually, I was wrong. Water drops are round because of surface tension. Gravity affects the mass of the drops and pulls them toward earth.

Planets are round because the gravitational forces of the mass pulls the surface into a spherical shape, provided the mass is greater than a certain size.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I was wrong. Water drops are round because of surface tension. Gravity affects the mass of the drops and pulls them toward earth.

Planets are round because the gravitational forces of the mass pulls the surface into a spherical shape, provided the mass is greater than a certain size.

I had been about to mention surface tension.

Reactions: Ajflyguy7
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I took my cell phone and aimed it through an eyepiece in my 13" Dob (nearly 6' tall) and took a picture of the moon. Something caught my eye... the craters along the moon's equator I was able to see all the walls in. Think of digging a small round hole and then standing directly over top of it. You can see all sides because of the angle.

The craters that were toward the north and south poles... I could only see one wall and not the one closest to the equator. This very clearly shows us that the moon is round... we can see it with our own eyes.

I can do this with Mars as well.... so the moon and Mars... round, no doubt, visually simple to verify... but God made the Earth flat?

Not only that... think about this.... if I shared a biblical insight from Scripture with 100 people and told them not to share it yet... most will even if they didn't agree. But there is no way 100 people could be prevented from leaking. Every White House in our lifetimes has had some leak at some point and with only hundreds of people involved. If the earth is really flat... then the MILLIONS of people around the world who have knowledge (all the military, space programs government and public, astronomers both professional and back yard, etc. etc. etc. FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD OVER 50+ YEARS) have all managed to keep this quiet? It's ridiculous.

• Winner
Reactions: Ajflyguy7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
We have sent satellites to other planets in our solar system. They are all spherical, not flat. Why would earth be the exception?
What justifies the a priori assumption that earth is another planet?

Reactions: Living Soul
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because gravity is the same on all areas of the falling liquid. In earlier days, this was how shot was made. Liquid lead was poured through a screen at the top of a high tube. The screen broke up the stream of liquid lead into discreet blobs that became perfectly round as they fell. At the bottom of the tank there was a pool of water that cooled the shot.The earth is round for the same reason: gravity is the same on all sides forming a sphere.

Yikes! Gravity has virtually no effect on water drops or nuggets of lead
other than them both accelerating toward the earth when released.
Both accelerating at the same speed if in a vacuum.

Gravity is hardly noticeable until the mass is in the tons.

Reactions: Living Soul
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Not only that... think about this.... if I shared a biblical insight from Scripture with 100 people and told them not to share it yet... most will even if they didn't agree. But there is no way 100 people could be prevented from leaking. Every White House in our lifetimes has had some leak at some point and with only hundreds of people involved. If the earth is really flat... then the MILLIONS of people around the world who have knowledge (all the military, space programs government and public, astronomers both professional and back yard, etc. etc. etc. FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD OVER 50+ YEARS) have all managed to keep this quiet? It's ridiculous.
As I understand it, information is compartmentalized in government, so I wouldn't be surprised if only a few at the top knew the full story.

For starters, there could have been an appeal to their sense of responsibility, being informed that it was not in the world's best interest to know such a thing (e.g. massive social & economic implications, etc.); Or, they could've been informed of a positive personal interest to not reveal such a thing (e.g. monetary incentives), or a negative personal interest (e.g. threats against themselves or their loved ones).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yikes! Gravity has virtually no effect on water drops or nuggets of lead
other than them both accelerating toward the earth when released.
Both accelerating at the same speed if in a vacuum.

Gravity is hardly noticeable until the mass is in the tons.

Yeah, I corrected myself. Thanks for reading my thread. :doh:

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We have sent satellites to other planets in our solar system. They are all spherical, not flat. Why would earth be the exception?

Usual answer: NASA made it all up with photoshop and George Lucas/Stanley Kubrick.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Usual answer: NASA made it all up with photoshop and George Lucas/Stanley Kubrick.
The Mars landing Too?

martian.jpg

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The earth is round for the same reason: gravity is the same on all sides forming a sphere.

It also bulges in the middle due to spinning.
It also bulges toward the moon due to moon gravity.
It also jiggles when you jump up and down.
The gravity waves from you jumping spread to all of the Cosmos
making it jiggle a bit as well, even the jiggling from you typing
on the keyboard.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
It also bulges in the middle due to spinning.
It also bulges toward the moon due to moon gravity.
It also jiggles when you jump up and down.
The gravity waves from you jumping spread to all of the Cosmos
making it jiggle a bit as well, even the jiggling from you typing
on the keyboard.

Point is, it is not flat.

Upvote 0