Flat Earth V.S Round Earth? (Also helio/geocentrism)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repented797

May 19, 2017
South East
✟9,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think it would have made sense to anyone living in those days if it had said that the earth slowed to a stop in its rotation rather than that the sun and moon stayed in their place in the sky? Even today, people still refer to the sun coming up and going down because that's the way it appears from our standpoint.

Well let's see. In this same relative BC time period we read about a talking donkey and large Sea creature that swallows a man whole, with the man living to tell about it (all of which I believe to be 100% literal, BTW).

So, yeah. Why would it be any stranger to that time period to say "And God Caused the Earth to stop rotating" than it would to say "He made the sun stop"?

Yes. I believe it would have made just as much sense. Absolutely.

The fact that he didn't say that makes me believe in a Geocentric Earth.

I'd like to hear your interpretations of how certain things can be if things are as you say. Why do people see different stars in the southern hemisphere than in the northern hemisphere? If the earth was flat, then everyone would see the same stars. But the fact is that those in the southern hemisphere are in a different position and are looking up into space from a different place on the earth. Clearly, this is not just speculative. People have flown on airplanes from one hemisphere to the other and can attest to this.

Okay first of all. Let's clarify something that you have obviously missed (or deliberately ignored). I am not a flat Earth believer. I have made that clear from the beginning of this thread. I am RESEARCHING the theory (and have been for the last month but am not yet convinced.....but I'm getting there).

The only thing I have concluded so far is that I believe the Earth is Geocentric. So. Your second paragraph might be better aimed at one of the other people on this thread.

Upvote 0

Repented797

May 19, 2017
South East
✟9,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I said this earlier in the thread and I think it's worth repeating.

The centerpiece of the round Earth theory is the story of Christopher Columbus. Yet, nobody has ever seemed to take notice of the fact that his entire voyage was an UTTER FAILURE!

His up mission to prove the Earth is round hinged on ONE THING - going all the way around the Earth and ending up back where he started.

Did he? NO! Instead, he got lost, confused, disoriented, ended up in North America (thinking he was in India), then TURNED AROUND and went back to Spain.

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL!!!!

YET, our secular, wicked, satanic public school education system tells the story as though the man's mission was a success. IT WASN'T! What's more, the man was every bit as evil as Hitler in terms of how he treated the natives. But that's a different topic, so I won't go any further on that.

Anyone who buys the Columbus story as "heroic, brave and successful " is gullible, sheepish and secularly brainwashed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Repented797

May 19, 2017
South East
✟9,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, let me say that I am a retired scientist, mathematician and educator and also a Christian of very long standing. A small number of my fellow Christians seem to suffer from what is known as "cognitive dissonance". This is a form of mental stress caused when your religious beliefs do not correspond with scientific reality. It is very obvious to me that the biblical cosmology (world view) was of a flat earth with a sky dome overhead. This, of course, conflicts with the modern scientific understanding. These Christians feel that letting go of this biblical understanding will be the thin edge of the wedge that could potentially destroy their faith. This is not the case for the majority of Christians who do not take the bible as being either to be literally understood or inerrant.

If you don't believe that the Bible is inerrant, I don't believe you are a Christian.

Upvote 0

Repented797

May 19, 2017
South East
✟9,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The flat earth concept is a rapidly growing trend, But it has a key flaw. No, matter the evidence, it all counts on a worldwide international mass conspiracy. From space flight to any trip in an airplane, all the governments of the world would have to agree, and work together for over 100 years to keep this from the public. This means even wile we were fighting WWI and WW2 all the nations were secretly working together. Hitler worked to keep this a secret, Really?

It is just not possible, the scale of the conspiracy alone is mind boggling. The Bible does not state that the world is flat. It states that God made it, but not that He made it flat. What concerns me the most, especially with the passing of M-103 in Canada, is that the Qur'an does clearly state that the world is flat and every Muslim must believe that the world is flat like a plate.

So I must say that the world is spherical

I disagree. The bible talks about "a strong delusion" in the end times as well as a new world order that is so powerful, "even the elect can be deceived"

Upvote 0

Repented797

May 19, 2017
South East
✟9,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does a satellite orbit over a flat earth? This would violate just about every one of the observable and experimentally verified laws of motion.

Most Flat Earthers don't believe satilites exist but rather, our data all comes from ground radar. Not saying this is what I believe. But...

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Most Flat Earthers don't believe satilites exist but rather, our data all comes from ground radar. Not saying this is what I believe. But...

Not all our data --- a great deal comes from the satellites themselves: weather, communications, GPS, etc.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is the written word if God. If it is not infallible, you are calling God a sinner and a liar.

The Bible is not infallible for the simple reason that it is not the written word of God. I approach the Bible like a prospector would approach his claim. I am prepared to spend a lot of time and effort searching for the shining nuggets of wisdom and insight but I am also prepared to have to shift a lot of rubble in order to find them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Repented797

May 19, 2017
South East
✟9,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is not infallible for the simple reason that it is not the written word of God. I approach the Bible like a prospector would approach his claim. I am prepared to spend a lot of time and effort searching for the shining nuggets of wisdom and insight but I am also prepared to have to shift a lot of rubble in order to find them.

Blasphemy!!!!!!

Upvote 0

FrankDux

Dec 12, 2016
USA
✟14,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Lol

The same old same old on these forums

" I'm a teacher and I harumph harumph I know the Babylonians blargity blah "

No, you don't

Stop being intellectual posers

Not a single one of you has studied Babylonian metrology or it's applications in astronomy

Not one of you seems to grasp the use of coordinate systems

suub9h.jpg

I can only smile and walk away when I encounter such ignorance

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Exactly. And there is one thing both of our conclusions have in common along with one thing they don't have in common.

What your theory and my theory have in common is that we can't do a lab experiment on it. Therefore both are speculative.

What your theory and my theory DON'T have in common is that there is Scriptural support for my theory and absolutely ZERO for yours.

Actually, a laboratory isn't needed for everything. The masses of different objects along with their gravitational pull can be observed in the earth, moon, the sun, asteroids and comets of different densities, other planets, etc. and it can clearly be seen that the more mass an object has, the greater the gravitational pull it has.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Okay first of all. Let's clarify something that you have obviously missed (or deliberately ignored). I am not a flat Earth believer. I have made that clear from the beginning of this thread. I am RESEARCHING the theory (and have been for the last month but am not yet convinced.....but I'm getting there).

The only thing I have concluded so far is that I believe the Earth is Geocentric. So. Your second paragraph might be better aimed at one of the other people on this thread.

If you don't believe the earth is round or flat, then what is it? I'm still waiting for someone who thinks the earth is even geocentric to tell me what it looks like if you were to travel away from it. Satellites, space probes that have gone to other planets and manned missions into orbit and to the moon, along with manned space stations that can clearly give the answer are clearly ignored by those who don't want to believe the obvious. You say you're researching the theory (of a flat earth, presumably) and are leaning in that direction, so I'd love to see what research you've done that leads you to that conclusion. If you want research, there's already been plenty of that, but you seem to be intent on being a contrarian. The sun is a sphere, as is the moon, all the other planets and all the moons that orbit those planets. Anyone with their own telescope (or even eyes, in the case of the sun and moon) can see this for themselves. I could also mention that pictures taken of Earth from space show it to be a sphere, but then those who believe otherwise simply say the pictures--ALL of them--are faked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I said this earlier in the thread and I think it's worth repeating.

The centerpiece of the round Earth theory is the story of Christopher Columbus. Yet, nobody has ever seemed to take notice of the fact that his entire voyage was an UTTER FAILURE!

His up mission to prove the Earth is round hinged on ONE THING - going all the way around the Earth and ending up back where he started.

Did he? NO! Instead, he got lost, confused, disoriented, ended up in North America (thinking he was in India), then TURNED AROUND and went back to Spain.

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL!!!!

Columbus was one of the earliest, but only one of many who wanted to prove the earth was round by sailing around it. However, there have been many, many more who have successfully done so. Some did as early as the 16th century, and others have done it as late as the 21st century. They've done it on water and by air and while in orbit. You can read all about them here: List of circumnavigations - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I disagree. The bible talks about "a strong delusion" in the end times as well as a new world order that is so powerful, "even the elect can be deceived"

I doubt that the earth being a sphere is the strong delusion that will deceive the elect. There are much more important aspects to sin and salvation than the shape of the earth. Jesus saw to that on the cross, and He never said one thing that I can recall about the shape of the earth being an issue that will either save us or condemn us.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

To anyone who doesn't believe satellites exist, I'd love to ask them where they think those rockets that are carrying those payloads are going when they launch. An even bigger question would be why people are spending millions, and even billions of dollars collectively, to build phony satellites, rockets, launch pads and control centers to do all these launches to somewhere other than space. Where was the space shuttle going with the astronauts on board who landed safely weeks later? You can't say those launches were done on a TV sound stage using special effects either. People have seen the launches in person. Maybe they could also explain how satellite TV works if their satellite dish is pointed at a satellite, but stops working when pointed away from it. How about those weather images from orbit that accurately show where the clouds and storms are. Not easy to do that from the ground....

If you go outside on a clear night shortly after it gets dark or just before daylight and watch the sky, you can see what appears to be stars moving across the sky. Those are low earth orbit satellites. If you want to see the brightest of them all, you can watch for the International Space Station to pass over your area. There's even a website that you can use to find out when it will pass over your area. It would be pretty difficult to fake that. Here's a sample location and the exact times, durations and positions of the station on any given day. If someone thinks this is fake, then all they have to do is go outside at the specified times for their location and see for themselves. If you don't trust seeing it on TV, then trust what you see with your own eyes: https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sig...United_States&region=Illinois&city=Naperville

They'd also have to try explaining how GPS works on a global scale from the ground. I ask these questions because I'd like to hear the answers from those who firmly hold to their belief that the earth is not a sphere, but either flat or otherwise geocentric and that everything in the universe revolves around it. I ask, but my questions have so far been dodged.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To anyone who doesn't believe satellites exist, I'd love to ask them where they think those rockets that are carrying those payloads are going when they launch. An even bigger question would be why people are spending millions, and even billions of dollars collectively, to build phony satellites, rockets, launch pads and control centers to do all these launches to somewhere other than space. Where was the space shuttle going with the astronauts on board who landed safely weeks later? You can't say those launches were done on a TV sound stage using special effects either. People have seen the launches in person. Maybe they could also explain how satellite TV works if their satellite dish is pointed at a satellite, but stops working when pointed away from it. How about those weather images from orbit that accurately show where the clouds and storms are. Not easy to do that from the ground....

If you go outside on a clear night shortly after it gets dark or just before daylight and watch the sky, you can see what appears to be stars moving across the sky. Those are low earth orbit satellites. If you want to see the brightest of them all, you can watch for the International Space Station to pass over your area. There's even a website that you can use to find out when it will pass over your area. It would be pretty difficult to fake that. Here's a sample location and the exact times, durations and positions of the station on any given day. If someone thinks this is fake, then all they have to do is go outside at the specified times for their location and see for themselves. If you don't trust seeing it on TV, then trust what you see with your own eyes: https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sig...United_States&region=Illinois&city=Naperville

They'd also have to try explaining how GPS works on a global scale from the ground. I ask these questions because I'd like to hear the answers from those who firmly hold to their belief that the earth is not a sphere, but either flat or otherwise geocentric and that everything in the universe revolves around it. I ask, but my questions have so far been dodged.
You give yourself too much credit. Your questions are monastic - all over the place. It's as if you have not, will not, and cannot find any answers for yourself. Have you tried entering "satellites are a hoax" into your search engine?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.