Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If people post things on the internet to convey ideas then other people are going to respond. That's generally how this internet thing works.

If flat Earthers are too sensitive for a rebuttal (not that that is particularly difficult given how nonsensical flat Earth beliefs are), then maybe flat Earthers shouldn't be posting their ideas.

The minute they do so, however, those ideas are fair game for criticism.

My criticism is about the words of "Take them down". Debating a topic is not an open invitation to 'take someone down'.

I would say that is skirting if not actually treading on the trolling rule.
Trolling
Trolling is intentionally disrupting a thread by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages with the clear intention of provoking other members into an emotional response.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
My criticism is about the words of "Take them down". Debating a topic is not an open invitation to 'take someone down'.

"Take them down" in this case is synonymous with rebutting them. It's maybe a more aggressive way of stating it, but the meaning is clear.

Or did you think it was intended literally?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Take them down" in this case is synonymous with rebutting them. It's maybe a more aggressive way of stating it, but the meaning is clear.

Or did you think it was intended literally?

Obviously not physically because this is online and I wasn't suggesting the OP was thinking in those terms, but debates are meant to address the issue, not the person/people. The words sound aggressive and designed to stir up the emotions of those it's targeting before they even read the post.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
My criticism is about the words of "Take them down"

In looking again at the opening post, the words "take them down" are not even used.

The title of the thread is "Flat earth takedown". Your criticism is about a phrase not even being used.

Now if you want to argue that the phrase "Flat earth takedown" is still provocative, sure it may be, but so what?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In looking again at the opening post, the words "take them down" are not even used.

The title of the thread is "Flat earth takedown". Your criticism is about a phrase not even being used.

Now if you want to argue that the phrase "Flat earth takedown" is still provocative, sure it may be, but so what?

Looks like they edited it then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So i see no one will post photos from the iss showing 200+ distance differentiation from a weather balloon.

What is 200+ supposed to mean? If you are talking about the fact that pictures from different altitudes show different relative amounts of detail, that was already pointed out earlier in the thread.

Could be because the iss is only about 20-30 miles high.

Given that the ISS is an observable and trackable object in orbit, not likely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Given that the ISS is an observable and trackable object in orbit, not likely.

The ISS subtends an angle of 63 arc seconds when viewed from the ground. If it was only 20 miles distant, that would make it only 32 feet long. As about 2/3rds of its length is made up of solar panels, that doesn't leave room for much of a crew...

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So i see no one will post photos from the iss showing 200+ distance differentiation from a weather balloon.

Could be because the iss is only about 20-30 miles high.
nasa liars
You can't use photos as evidence and then avoid conversations about photography. At the very least, it does not reflect well on your argument. Same with calling others liars. If it were me, I'd make sure my conduct was transparent and forthright before I started calling others liars.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The ISS subtends an angle of 63 arc seconds when viewed from the ground. If it was only 20 miles distant, that would make it only 32 feet long. As about 2/3rds of its length is made up of solar panels, that doesn't leave room for much of a crew...

I have heard flat Earthers claim that the ISS would have to be much smaller (just like stars, planets, etc). What they actually think the ISS is though, I have no idea.

Then again, I've learned not to expect cogent answers for anything regarding flat Earth beliefs.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And to think, all the flat earthers photos of a flat earth are photoshopped! From a pic of a curved earth they photoshop it so that it looks flat!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
According to globe earth proponents and their ability to observe comparative distances. The two lines are the same length.

1. _
2. _____________________________________

source.gif

Upvote 0