Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Earth is a sphere, but that's a technical fact, mostly. The flatness of the Earth is far more practical, and the human brain was wired to see it that way for a reason. We need to relate to it in the manner of a bug crawling across a dinner plate, not as a creature clinging tenaciously to the side of a ball. It's a matter of analogy: to us a typical sphere is affected by gravity tangentially, but to the Earth it is affected radially. If gravity is the linear standard by which we judge things, then the Earth is flat. For all practical purposes the Earth is flat and the entire universe and all space is wrapped around it and tied together at the back of it. Its spheroid nature is almost a trivial truth.

Your so right about that. I have this bad habit of being able to visualize things people say.

It was only a few days ago my husband made some comment about Australia being on the bottom of the earth, and I had a brief flash of our poor Australian brothers and sisters upside down, just hanging there with their feet stuck to the earth... lol

And lol.. I have to admit that visual was a little unsettling even for me...

We do think in terms of flat, and it's easy to do, easy on our minds, and overall gives us a sense of security .

But if you visualize it, it can give you that momentary vision of the awesomeness of God, beyond all imagining..

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Its funny that we deny big bang and evolution but find it impossible that the govt lies to us about Earths shape

Both the Big Bang Theory and the Theory of Evolution are very well established major theories, with enormous levels of verification and evidence. The ToE is stronger, probably, than the BBT, but it's sort of like saying 'steel is fairly strong but titanium alloy is stronger' - either one will serve for tableware with no danger of failure due to stress. At this point there are no known major issues with either theory. Details to be filled in? Yes. Serious difficulties? No.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And it’s flat. There is no substantial evidence that we are on a spinning ball.

Why is it that i can conduct long ocean transits using spherical trigonometry? I can plot a celestial fix using spherical trig. On a flat earth, this wouldn't be possible. Given a flat earth, a great circle voyage route should never get a boat from point A to B on long voyages.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here we are in the 21st century, yet there are some people who believe that the Earth is flat. That is both sad and scary.

I assume that these are the same people who believe that bats are birds.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Both the Big Bang Theory and the Theory of Evolution are very well established major theories, with enormous levels of verification and evidence. The ToE is stronger, probably, than the BBT, but it's sort of like saying 'steel is fairly strong but titanium alloy is stronger' - either one will serve for tableware with no danger of failure due to stress. At this point there are no known major issues with either theory. Details to be filled in? Yes. Serious difficulties? No.

I'm willing to be that all of this ridiculous science denial had led more people away from Christ than accepting sound science ever has.

When an educated person hears Christians saying that the earth is flat and 6000 years old, why would they ever want to convert?

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And it’s flat. There is no substantial evidence that we are on a spinning ball.

earth2.jpg
earth1.jpg
earth3.jpg
earth4.jpg
lunareclipse2.jpg
lunareclipse.jpg
ship.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'm willing to be that all of this ridiculous science denial had led more people away from Christ than accepting sound science ever has.

When an educated person hears Christians saying that the earth is flat and 6000 years old, why would they ever want to convert?
Actually, this would be what most would believe.

However, non Christians already think that Christians are weird... We believe in a talking snake, floating axe head, man walking on water, virgin mother, a bunch of people knocking down the walls of a city by walking around it and blowing trumpets, a man causes a sea to open and expose dry land just by holding a long stick out over it, talking donkey, fire coming down from heaven on command, three men walking around inside a fire, another man stays overnight in a pit with starving lions.... the list goes on.

Not only that but we believe a dead guy came back to life and floated up and away on a cloud telling us that he would come back for us...

Then, whether you believe in the FE or not.. whether you accept that others do... what you do have to accept that all of the people that believe in the FE started out denying it.. arguing it.. and thinking it was crazy....

Until, something spurned them on to try to prove it wrong.. leading them to be convinced that it was, in their opinion, real.

Then, many of these, now converted FE believers.. looked at this new model that they hold to be true... and... it convinced them that if this is real... then evolution and all that other stuff is impossible.

In the end.. The FE model and their journey to coming to a belief that it is true... brought them to a solid belief in God and the bible and they are now saved children of the Living God.. solid Christians.. saved by the blood of Christ.

I would never ever suggest that the FE is a tool for evangelism... but... many have come to know the lord.. by their investigation and conversion of the one simple thing.... the shape of the earth.

Reactions: FireBrimstone
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the Earth is flat, why the heck did I have to calculate fuel usage and cost for Boeing 777s using the Great Circle method? Great circle - Wikipedia

You'll get the same crickets on this that I always get when I ask about ships following a great circle route or why I can take a celestial fix using spherical trigonometry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,019.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You must be really young. Believe it or not, there was a time before Photoshop was invented, and in that time there were many photos of the globe of the earth taken from space. I vividly remember seeing them at that time.

First View of Earth From Moon

Apollo 8: Earthrise

NASA invented Photoshop for the purpose of creating fake earth pictures. It's the only rational explanation, plus the lizard people told me so.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.