On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm pretty sure that image is grabbed from a video of a sunrise or sunset, where if you watch the clip you will see that all the clouds are in the forefront. Flat earthers are very selective in what images they post, quietly passing over anything that doesn't fit their narrative.
LOL, as if you have a clue about any of this, Podromos.
You do have a fancy strut as you swagger through us intellectual inferiors, tho. :)

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
If you were standing at the Gates of heaven and God said you just need to answer one question to get in. Is the world flat or round? If you get it wrong you're going to hell for eternity, or you can just tell me you don't know and I will let you in. What would you say ? Just for fun LOL.
I’m not sure eternity with the sort of god that would play that kind of game with my soul is that much better than hell.

• Agree
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. Clouds in front of the sun, visibility of those clouds being overpowered by the brightness of the sun.

-CryptoLutheran
Have you ever addressed ANYthing substantial? Can't remember you ever doing so.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because refraction is a real thing that.... does explain a lot?

And let's not also forget that....

Mauna Kea, is the highest peak in Hawaii (the summit of the Big Island). With nothing but the ocean around it, and a few other nearby islands, you should be able to see extremely far away. The island of Kauai has the seventh highest point in the Hawaiian islands: the peak known as Kawaikini. If you were to draw a straight line from Mauna Kea (elevation: 13,796 ft.) to Kawaikini (elevation: 5226 ft.) it would span a distance of 303 miles.

However, you cannot see one from the other, which you would absolutely be able to do if the Earth

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
If you were standing at the Gates of heaven and God said you just need to answer one question to get in. Is the world flat or round? If you get it wrong you're going to hell for eternity, or you can just tell me you don't know and I will let you in. What would you say ? Just for fun LOL.

I see that others refuse to answer your 'fun' hypothetical. I believe your point is that if there were a great deal at stake, dependent on an answer, what would the answer be. I have to believe they understand this and not that you are seeking to somehow alter the nature of God. So, I'm not sure why the answers are so evasive.

So, taking the question out of the 'eternal life' realm and saying if someone who knew the actual truth had a gun to my head and my answer would determine if I lived or died. I'd say the earth is flat, with absolutely zero doubts. Then I'd walk away with my life intact.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
How come everytime we provide an answer to the challenges thrown at us, not once do flat earthers acknowledge that, ok, we may actually have a point?
It never happens, they simply ignore the response and move on to their next 'gotcha' argument.

You have to understand that flat earthers are dealing with confronting people with decades of intact brainwashing and endless arguments they feel support their globe position. Sometimes we really just have to roll our eyes and move on, because we know from experience the amount of incoherent grief heading our way if pursued any further.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Because refraction is a real thing that.... does explain a lot?

And let's not also forget that....

Mauna Kea, is the highest peak in Hawaii (the summit of the Big Island). With nothing but the ocean around it, and a few other nearby islands, you should be able to see extremely far away. The island of Kauai has the seventh highest point in the Hawaiian islands: the peak known as Kawaikini. If you were to draw a straight line from Mauna Kea (elevation: 13,796 ft.) to Kawaikini (elevation: 5226 ft.) it would span a distance of 303 miles.

However, you cannot see one from the other, which you would absolutely be able to do if the Earth were flat. With a curved Earth of its measured radius, the line-of-sight limit for those two elevations caps out at 233 miles. Only with a curved Earth is one invisible from the other, and this is true for any two mountain peaks with clear line-of-sights from one to the other.
You stated this:

"He is taking an atmospheric effect that happens occasionally and applying it across the board."

You can tell me all of the things that cannot be seen.... However, the fact that there are many things that are seen from distances that should put them well below the curve quite consistently... that are explained away with "refraction", As is the "selenelion" eclipse.

Seems to me like people will use this atmospheric effect and use it "across the board" when it suits them, to prove the globe model.

Fact is... on very consistent occasions... we see too far... It's not washed away with the magic pill of "refraction".

I think it's wrong, then, to accuse the FE camp of this.

Pot/Kettle.

• Winner
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I couldn't help but notice you didn't actually address the example I provided. That's often a tactic that people who don't have an answer use.

I wonder what you think of all the passengers that flew on the Concorde. You can even look up pictures that they took out the window and see the curve.

Then there are civilians like James May and Adam Savage who were lucky enough to be able to fly up in a U2 Spy Plane and commented on the curve that they were able to see with their own eyes.

I don't know how people can so easily ignore the eye witness testimony of civilians and flight passengers.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ignoring the whole anti scriptural aspect of your senario. I have to assume that you are trying to say that the shape of the earth is not a salvation issue.

On this note, and with the understanding of the fact that I hold to neither the globe or the FE model... I will say that many atheistic globe believers have come to both the FE camp and belief in the bible and their savior because of it.

• Agree
Reactions: FireBrimstone
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You stated this:

"He is taking an atmospheric effect that happens occasionally and applying it across the board."

You can tell me all of the things that cannot be seen.... However, the fact that there are many things that are seen from distances that should put them well below the curve quite consistently... that are explained away with "refraction", As is the "selenelion" eclipse.

Seems to me like people will use this atmospheric effect and use it "across the board" when it suits them, to prove the globe model.

Fact is... on very consistent occasions... we see too far... It's not washed away with the magic pill of "refraction".

I think it's wrong, then, to accuse the FE camp of this.

Pot/Kettle.
I couldn't help but notice you didn't actually address the example I provided. That's often a tactic that people who don't have an answer use. Please feel free to explain how my specific example fits within the context of an FE model.

I wonder what you think of all the passengers that flew on the Concorde. You can even look up pictures that they took out the window and see the curve.

Then there are civilians like James May and Adam Savage who were lucky enough to be able to fly up in a U2 Spy Plane and commented on the curve that they were able to see with their own eyes.

I don't know how people can so easily ignore the eye witness testimony of civilians and flight passengers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
However, the fact that there are many things that are seen from distances that should put them well below the curve quite consistently... that are explained away with "refraction", As is the "selenelion" eclipse

It's not 'explained away'. We know why it happens. It's actually consistent with the evidence.

You notice how the Moon turns red during a selenelion? You know how the Sun turns red during a sunrise and a sunset, which is the only time a selenelion occurs (despite the fact that you keep claiming it doesn't)? You think that might be a connection?

The funny thing is, even if no one understood how a selenelion eclipse occurs, it would just be a weird thing that happens. It would do nothing to invalidate the mountain of evidence to suggest that the Moon is, in fact, reflecting the Sun's light. It would do nothing to explain how a lunar eclipse works if the Moon is generating its own light. It sure as shooting would mean the Earth was flat.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,376.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
LOL, as if you have a clue about any of this, Podromos.
You do have a fancy strut as you swagger through us intellectual inferiors, tho. :)
Why do you have this as your signature Rick?
~...your OP should present a conspiracy theory that you believe in and can post supporting evidence for (i.e. YouTube videos, articles, deductive reasoning). Other members may then ask questions and/or challenge the content of your posts with opposing data. Choosing to participate in this forum means that you are aware that your personal beliefs and theories may be challenged, however, ridiculing the theories and beliefs of another member is not allowed.

Members are never to be personally attacked.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ignoring the whole anti scriptural aspect of your senario. I have to assume that you are trying to say that the shape of the earth is not a salvation issue.

On this note, and with the understanding of the fact that I hold to neither the globe or the FE model... I will say that many atheistic globe believers have come to both the FE camp and belief in the bible and their savior because of it.

The earths shape ( and evolution) is definitively not a salvation issue, but it could very well be a reward issue.

I know God does not take the miss trusting of His word,(with the Hebrews), lightly, just ask the ones that died in the desert.

• Agree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.