catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It remains perpetually horrifying to me that this is even a debate some think worth having. Perhaps we could also have a debate about whether or not water is wet.

-CryptoLutheran
Isn't the real problem here using the scripture for a doctrine/idea, instead of listening to scripture as itself the teacher? It's backwards.

Instead of us being the Teacher, scripture the thing being used, we should be listening and then scripture is teaching us.

If we do listen, then it's far easier to hear the words as they are meant, and the troubles with mistaking metaphor for concrete usage will largely disappear.

If someone says, "Here's the idea, now read this verse and see it," they are trying to use the verse like a plank of wood, in service to their idea/doctrine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If you took basic physics in HS, you know the earth is round/sphere. Most of the formulas and math in Physics is highly dependent on the shape of the earth - which being a sphere.

The basic highschool formula
F=GM1m2/r2 explains the earth, stars, and other planets as spherical and because of this formula, we are able to design cars, trains, planes, boats, and anything that would be running through physics in relation to the sphere earth.

• Informative
Reactions: J Bella Funk
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Biblical cosmology is of a flat earth with a firmament/dome overhead. This is at complete variance with the scientific evidence. I take the Biblical understanding as metaphorical in nature.
At least you acknowledge that the Bible teaches the earth is flat with a dome over it, even though you consider it metaphorical.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
What do you think is the shape of the Earth?

Is it a circular, relatively flat disk with a dome (firmament) over it. Or is it a ball in space?

Based on my reading of the scriptures, it is the former. However, I want to hear what you have to say.

These qualifications are mathematically inferior descriptors - in the sense that it doesn't explain terra firma vs the "atmospheric/EM" boundary.

The earth is neither flat, nor a ball.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Is it a circular, relatively flat disk with a dome (firmament) over it. Or is it a ball in space?

Based on my reading of the scriptures, it is the former. However, I want to hear what you have to say.
God doesn't write scripture from his point of view, man does. That point of view is limited so when we read scripture don't expect 21-century thinking, expect ancient mindsets. it's like flatland... but the problem with flatland is a 2D shape, even if extracted into a 3D plane is still 2D and still can only in 2D incapable of seeing the 3D shapes he's being shown. We must interpret scripture knowing that it's written in a different world view than our own, a world view that interprets the same things we see very differently.

Upvote 0

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Its funny that we deny big bang and evolution but find it impossible that the govt lies to us about Earths shape

Reactions: FireBrimstone
Upvote 0

DNB

Jan 17, 2020
Toronto
✟19,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It remains perpetually horrifying to me that this is even a debate some think worth having. Perhaps we could also have a debate about whether or not water is wet.

-CryptoLutheran
Agreed, ...but, what it is worthy of, is that it tends to weed out the radicals (if you know what I mean?).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟94,397.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
globe_west_2048_sq-3c11e252772de81daba7366935eb7bd4512036b8-s800-c85.jpg

looks round to me. :scratch:

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟94,397.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

What does it matter if it's round?........Which it is! It's an irrelevant question and has nothing to do with your faith in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
It's only been in the last few years that it's actually become anything visible. Sure, flat earthers existed, but in the past few years they've organized themselves on the internet. In all my 20 years on discussion forums, up until a few years ago I may have only seen one or two flat earthers. In the past few years that has increased drastically.

This is what happens when a society champions ignorance and abhors education.

-CryptoLutheran
This is what happens when old people don’t understand what an internet troll is

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Seriously, it is called the globe for a reason. It is not a cosmic Frisbee. If it was not a globe, there would be very little mass and therefore little gravity. We would have no atmosphere, no water and no life.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.