Votes: 7 10.4%
  • "Ball Earth"

Votes: 60 89.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you think is the shape of the Earth?

Is it a circular, relatively flat disk with a dome (firmament) over it. Or is it a ball in space?

Based on my reading of the scriptures, it is the former. However, I want to hear what you have to say.

Reactions: Rick Otto

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Biblical cosmology is of a flat earth with a firmament/dome overhead. This is at complete variance with the scientific evidence. I take the Biblical understanding as metaphorical in nature.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is it a circular, relatively flat disk with a dome (firmament) over it. Or is it a ball in space?

Based on my reading of the scriptures, it is the former. However, I want to hear what you have to say.
We all -- 100% of people -- should Never come to God's Word -- His Living Word -- with a plan to just see something or to confirm some doctrine.

As if the Word was only to be used in service of a preferred idea of our own!

Instead, listen, and read fully.

So, instead of reading a few selected verses, we read an entire book through, because the goal is to listen.

If we are humble, and listening, then we can hear.

That way, we can be those with "ears that hear".

Mark 4:23 If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear."

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Biblical cosmology is of a flat earth with a firmament/dome overhead. This is at complete variance with the scientific evidence. I take the Biblical understanding as metaphorical in nature.
That's entirely false.

You'd only have to read with merely average listening of any average student in a class, even, only, to just get more of what is figurative wording.

It isn't hard. Not even difficult. You only have to merely listen as you read, (meaning also of course, not to be isolating sentence fragments or individual verses away from passages/chapters -- that isolation of sentences which allows some to lose the clear, obvious sense of the writing everyone else can see).

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible isn't a cosmological document, nor in any way a scientific understanding.

It's a religious document, that outlines God's relationship with man, God's nature and man's. Everything in it, is concerning issues of faith, not science.

The earth is spherical . I believe that. I don't expect cosmology or science out of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Bible tells earth has mountain(s). That is why I think it should be obvious that earth is not flat. I think it is also good to notice, according to the Bible, earth meant dry land, not the whole planet. And in the beginning, there was only one area (continent) of dry land. It is possible that the original continent was relatively flat, and it doesn’t mean planet was also flat.

God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters he called Seas. God saw that it was good.
Genesis 1:10

I believe the planet is a sphere, but dry land is not. Here are few images of how I think earth was created and how modern continents came to exist as a result of the great flood:

Are you a disciple of Jesus?

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I think it's nice.

It's an oblate spheroid. It orbits the solar systems barycenter (approximately the sun) every ~365.256 days in an almost circular, but slightly elliptical, path with an eccentricity of 0.0167086.

Earth Fact Sheet

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's shaped like a burrito!
upload_2020-2-6_17-41-10.png

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

A flat and stationary creation.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The earth is an oblate spheroid.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It remains perpetually horrifying to me that this is even a debate some think worth having. Perhaps we could also have a debate about whether or not water is wet.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Until I came to this forum I thought "flat earthers" was a joke.. I never realized it was serious..

It's only been in the last few years that it's actually become anything visible. Sure, flat earthers existed, but in the past few years they've organized themselves on the internet. In all my 20 years on discussion forums, up until a few years ago I may have only seen one or two flat earthers. In the past few years that has increased drastically.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Earth is a sphere, but that's a technical fact, mostly. The flatness of the Earth is far more practical, and the human brain was wired to see it that way for a reason. We need to relate to it in the manner of a bug crawling across a dinner plate, not as a creature clinging tenaciously to the side of a ball. It's a matter of analogy: to us a typical sphere is affected by gravity tangentially, but to the Earth it is affected radially. If gravity is the linear standard by which we judge things, then the Earth is flat. For all practical purposes the Earth is flat and the entire universe and all space is wrapped around it and tied together at the back of it. Its spheroid nature is almost a trivial truth.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Just as God gift of Eternal Life is a free gift given to any one who believes in Jesus for the gift. And this is cursed and ridiculed throughout christian churches.

So is the true belief in God's true creation of a flat and stationary earth. And this is cursed and ridiculed throughout christian churches.

And i am proud to say i believe in both, The free gift of Eternal Life and a flat and stationary earth, both beautifully proclaimed, from scripture.

Reactions: FireBrimstone
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is round, but if it were flat with a dome or a cube wouldn't bother me. It's irrelevant to creation, sin and why the world needed a savour. The world needs Jesus and that is what is important, not the shape of the world. Maybe it's a giant potato. ^_^

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It remains perpetually horrifying to me that this is even a debate some think worth having. Perhaps we could also have a debate about whether or not water is wet.

-CryptoLutheran

Finally, someone else who thinks this is the dumbest debate since “Yanny” or “Laurel.”

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.