• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured "Flat Earth" or "Globe Earth"

Discussion in 'Conspiracy Theories' started by GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta, Feb 6, 2020.

1. "Flat Earth"

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. "Ball Earth"

53 vote(s)
    88.3%
  1. GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta Regular Member

+224
    Christian
    Married
    What do you think is the shape of the Earth?

Is it a circular, relatively flat disk with a dome (firmament) over it. Or is it a ball in space?

Based on my reading of the scriptures, it is the former. However, I want to hear what you have to say.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Monksailor

Monksailor Well-Known Member Supporter

+338
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    It is "flat" WHEREVER one stands.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. JackRT

JackRT OOPS!!! Supporter

+14,028
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Biblical cosmology is of a flat earth with a firmament/dome overhead. This is at complete variance with the scientific evidence. I take the Biblical understanding as metaphorical in nature.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+5,305
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    We all -- 100% of people -- should Never come to God's Word -- His Living Word -- with a plan to just see something or to confirm some doctrine.

As if the Word was only to be used in service of a preferred idea of our own!

Instead, listen, and read fully.

So, instead of reading a few selected verses, we read an entire book through, because the goal is to listen.

If we are humble, and listening, then we can hear.

That way, we can be those with "ears that hear".

Mark 4:23 If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear."

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+3,309
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The Bible isn't about the shape of the earth. You can read flat or round earth into it, and probably other options too, if you try.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+5,305
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That's entirely false.

You'd only have to read with merely average listening of any average student in a class, even, only, to just get more of what is figurative wording.

It isn't hard. Not even difficult. You only have to merely listen as you read, (meaning also of course, not to be isolating sentence fragments or individual verses away from passages/chapters -- that isolation of sentences which allows some to lose the clear, obvious sense of the writing everyone else can see).

7. Akita Suggagaki

Akita Suggagaki Well-Known Member

+564
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
  8. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,634
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    The Bible isn't a cosmological document, nor in any way a scientific understanding.

It's a religious document, that outlines God's relationship with man, God's nature and man's. Everything in it, is concerning issues of faith, not science.

The earth is spherical . I believe that. I don't expect cosmology or science out of the Bible.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. 1213

1213 Disciple of Jesus

+794
    Christian
    Single
    Bible tells earth has mountain(s). That is why I think it should be obvious that earth is not flat. I think it is also good to notice, according to the Bible, earth meant dry land, not the whole planet. And in the beginning, there was only one area (continent) of dry land. It is possible that the original continent was relatively flat, and it doesn’t mean planet was also flat.

God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters he called Seas. God saw that it was good.
    Genesis 1:10

I believe the planet is a sphere, but dry land is not. Here are few images of how I think earth was created and how modern continents came to exist as a result of the great flood:

Are you a disciple of Jesus?

• List
  10. Yekcidmij

Yekcidmij Polymath

+1,118
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
    I think it's nice.

It's an oblate spheroid. It orbits the solar systems barycenter (approximately the sun) every ~365.256 days in an almost circular, but slightly elliptical, path with an eccentricity of 0.0167086.

Earth Fact Sheet

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+862
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    It's shaped like a burrito! upload_2020-2-6_17-41-10.png

12. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+647
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    A flat and stationary creation.

13. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+16,826
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    The earth is an oblate spheroid.

-CryptoLutheran

14. ViaCrucis

+16,826
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    It remains perpetually horrifying to me that this is even a debate some think worth having. Perhaps we could also have a debate about whether or not water is wet.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • List
  15. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,634
    United States
    Baptist
    Married

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  16. ViaCrucis

+16,826
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    It's only been in the last few years that it's actually become anything visible. Sure, flat earthers existed, but in the past few years they've organized themselves on the internet. In all my 20 years on discussion forums, up until a few years ago I may have only seen one or two flat earthers. In the past few years that has increased drastically.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020 at 3:07 PM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+1,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    The Earth is a sphere, but that's a technical fact, mostly. The flatness of the Earth is far more practical, and the human brain was wired to see it that way for a reason. We need to relate to it in the manner of a bug crawling across a dinner plate, not as a creature clinging tenaciously to the side of a ball. It's a matter of analogy: to us a typical sphere is affected by gravity tangentially, but to the Earth it is affected radially. If gravity is the linear standard by which we judge things, then the Earth is flat. For all practical purposes the Earth is flat and the entire universe and all space is wrapped around it and tied together at the back of it. Its spheroid nature is almost a trivial truth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  18. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+647
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    Just as God gift of Eternal Life is a free gift given to any one who believes in Jesus for the gift. And this is cursed and ridiculed throughout christian churches.

So is the true belief in God's true creation of a flat and stationary earth. And this is cursed and ridiculed throughout christian churches.

And i am proud to say i believe in both, The free gift of Eternal Life and a flat and stationary earth, both beautifully proclaimed, from scripture.

19. coffee4u

coffee4u Well-Known Member

+700
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    I think it is round, but if it were flat with a dome or a cube wouldn't bother me. It's irrelevant to creation, sin and why the world needed a savour. The world needs Jesus and that is what is important, not the shape of the world. Maybe it's a giant potato. ^_^

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. coffee4u

coffee4u Well-Known Member

+700
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Finally, someone else who thinks this is the dumbest debate since “Yanny” or “Laurel.”

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List