Flat Earth Myth

Yes they do and not being an expert in all the questions that you asked I will try with the idea of land bridges during recent ice ages that allowed movement from asia to the americas .Africa to europe,china to japan etc. The migration of people took advatages with crossing small areas of water

Upvote 0

L'Anatra

Contributor
Dec 29, 2002
Pensacola, FL
Visit site
✟969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by sulphur
Yes they do and not being an expert in all the questions that you asked I will try with the idea of land bridges during recent ice ages that allowed movement from asia to the americas .Africa to europe,china to japan etc. The migration of people took advatages with crossing small areas of water
Certainly! :) I understand exactly what you're saying.

My questions, however, were directed toward JohnR7 himself, who seems to have come to the conclusion that no societies on earth ever constructed a flat-earth cosmology and that it is a myth modern people have spread. I was attempting (as others have) to show that the Holy Bible reflects that such a view (flat-earth) was held by its authors.

edit: I really need to read my posts before I submit them! :p

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by L'Anatra
I was attempting (as others have) to show that the Holy Bible reflects that such a view (flat-earth) was held by its authors. 

The flat earth thing really is a myth that is more of a joke than anything else. Christianity never really thought the earth was flat. Even that is not reflected in the man made traditions.

There are man made traditions that do not really line up with the Bible. But this is not one of them. We know that there is a dead, harlot, apostate, worldly church out there. Their doctorine in the doctorine of man, and it does not reflect the authors of the Bible. But as far as I know not even the worldly church ever believed that the earth was flat.

This is why we have the cannon and our Bible in the first place, to seperate truth from error. To seperate what we know to be relyable, from the opinions of men.

Upvote 0

Orihalcon

crazy dancing santa mage
Nov 17, 2002
Visit site
✟833.00
Originally posted by JohnR7
This is why we have the cannon and our Bible in the first place, to seperate truth from error. To seperate what we know to be relyable, from the opinions of men.

so... the bible tells the absolute truth and anyone who says otherwise is blown up by the cannon?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Isaiah 40:22
He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
and its people are like grasshoppers.
He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

Round earth!
Expanding universe too!

Job 26:7
He spreads out the northern skies over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing.

Over nothing?
That's how earth looks from outer space.

Upvote 0

L'Anatra

Contributor
Dec 29, 2002
Pensacola, FL
Visit site
✟969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In actuality, roundness does not imply a spherical earth. The flat earth model proposed by many cultures, including the Babylonians and the Greeks, was circular in nature. Please notice the difference here; their model was similar to a modern polar projection map.

Why (and I've already mentioned it before), then, does First Samuel 2:8 state "for the pillars of the earth are the Lord's, and He has made them the base of the world?" Not to say that Job 26:7 is in conflict with 1 Samuel 2:8, but I'm still confused...

In any case, thanks for your replies to my questions, everyone! :)

Upvote 0
Actually the original Hebrew word used does not in itself preclude the spherical.

Definition of the word "circle" in Isaiah 40:22
The original Hebrew word for circle is "khug." It meant "roundness" or "sphericity." So the word "khug" itself cannot be used to disprove that Isaiah was indeed describing a spherical earth.

As for pillars, God uses pillars in a figurative way.

Exodus 24:4
Moses then wrote down everything the LORD had said. He got up early the next morning and built an altar at the foot of the mountain and set up twelve stone pillars representing the twelve tribes of Israel.

Keep in mind also that Isaiah's authenticity as a true prophet would have been questioned if his statement had been perceived as contradicting the previous accepted inspired scriptures of prophets who spoke in God's name and whom they understood as describing the earth as resting on literal pillars.

Yet we have absolutely no evidence that the Hebrews viewed Isaiah's statement as uninspired or contradictory. Quite to the contrary, he was and still is considered a major prophet.

Since the Hebrews calmly accepted his statement about the earth then there are two possibilities. Either the concept he described was NOT foreign to the Hebrews. Or they had not understood the reference to pillars of the earth as literal but as being merely figurative.

Actually, if we were to consider the term "pillars" literally, then we would have to say that the Hebrews believed that heaven itself was held up by pillars:

Job 26:11
The pillars of the heavens quake, aghast at his rebuke.

Or that wisdom has literal pillars:
Proverbs 9:1
Wisdom has built her house; she has hewn out its seven pillars.

Or that the person referred to in Song of Solomon had pillars:

Song of Solomon 5:15
His legs are pillars of marble set on bases of pure gold. His appearance is like Lebanon, choice as its cedars.

Or that those of whom the Apostle Paul spoke about in his epistle to the Galatians were actually literal pillars:
Galatians 2:9

Galatians 2:9
James, Pete and John, those reputed to be pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they recognized the grace given to me.

So it is in a figurative way and not a literal one that the Bible's reference to pillars of the earth is meant to be understood.

Upvote 0