Flat Earth Debunk

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
About 15 years ago or so I was part of a forum in which a few atheists made up flat earth. They said they posed as christians to make fun of christians "silly beliefs". But they found it ironic that actual christians ended up believing in flat earth. Which was never their intention. Now they use it as evidence to support their claim about our "silly beliefs".

It annoys me to no end too because I am not sure why so many christians are for a lack of better words.... gullible. Maybe its because many stay offline and don't realize most conspiracies are made up? Just like the "lizard people" was meant as a joke and yet it ended up drawing in actual people who believed it was true.

I try talking people out of flat earth and what not and tell them its making us all look bad. But they insist its real. Either that or they are actually still atheists pretending to be christian and trolling us.

• Agree
Reactions: gabemaiberger
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't believe in the flat Earth BUT, they do have a model and it is biblically based. I disagree with their interpretation and how they arrive to their model but it's not correct that they have no model. It's basically the Earth like a coin with a dome over it they believe is the biblical firmament.

But they won't agree on how the sun and moon work, how eclipses work, how tall the dome is, how large Antarctica is, etc.

You don't need azimuth measurements to see evidence that the planet is spherical (or, to be more accurate, spheroidical.) Just watch a cruise ship sailing away from port on a clear day with a good pair of binocs. As the ship departs, you first lose sight of the hull. As it gets farther away, the superstructure disappears. Finally, all you can see are the the topmost parts of the masts, until they're also gone from view. If the ship was sailing on a flat surface, the image would get smaller and smaller, but the entire ship would still be visible. That never happens. The ship always disappears from view in stages, starting with the lowest parts to the highest. That's only possible if the vessel is on a downward trajectory as the distance from the observer increases. Which indicates that it's sailing away on a convexly curved surface.

They'll just link you to a video supposedly showing that if you zoom in enough you can see a ship that's disappeared over the horizon. And whenever you show anything contradicting this, or even do the experiment yourself (as I did), they'll just say you didn't zoom in far enough.

About 15 years ago or so I was part of a forum in which a few atheists made up flat earth. They said they posed as christians to make fun of christians "silly beliefs". But they found it ironic that actual christians ended up believing in flat earth. Which was never their intention. Now they use it as evidence to support their claim about our "silly beliefs".

It annoys me to no end too because I am not sure why so many christians are for a lack of better words.... gullible. Maybe its because many stay offline and don't realize most conspiracies are made up? Just like the "lizard people" was meant as a joke and yet it ended up drawing in actual people who believed it was true.

I try talking people out of flat earth and what not and tell them its making us all look bad. But they insist its real. Either that or they are actually still atheists pretending to be christian and trolling us.

People are willing to believe anything as long as it makes them feel 'special' and 'elite', above the 'brainwashed' masses.

Upvote 0

gabemaiberger

Computer Engineering and Physics Student
Dec 26, 2012
✟10,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
THE flat earth model?

We only wish there was any consensus about what a flat earth model actually was. Most flat earthers do not have any model to share, just criticisms of oblate spheroidism.
Technically, I was referring to Gleason's Azimuthal Equidistant model.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟242,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't believe in the flat Earth BUT, they do have a model and it is biblically based. I disagree with their interpretation and how they arrive to their model but it's not correct that they have no model. It's basically the Earth like a coin with a dome over it they believe is the biblical firmament.

perhaps it needed qualification... WORKING model.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Refuted Flat Earth a long time ago at CF.

A New Biblical & Scientific Refutation of a Flat Earth!

Side Note:

The 3D model of the Flat Earthers just doesn't line up with the reality that we see up in the sky (Note: You can check out a 3D model of this by video within the link above). If anyone understands 3D models and how they work, they should simply accept what is true. They cannot make a 3D model that works and agrees with what we see in reality.

• Agree
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread was moved from the main Physical & Life Science forum to the Non-Mainstream and Controversial science forum​

• Agree
Upvote 0