Pennsylvania
✟790,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Indeed. The Sophon android was creepy. But the dimensional collapse, that was a disaster. I don’t think many Flat Earth proponents have stopped to think how horrible the universe would be if the Earth were two dimensional. Or one, or zero, the dreadful ultimate fate that I think is subtextually hinted at, that a universe where the great powers are wiping each other out by deleting dimensions will eventually result in the deletion of all dimensions and the entire collapse of spacetime.
Wondering if you have read Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. Hilarious. Particularly the first one.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟931,727.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Wondering if you have read Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. Hilarious. Particularly the first one

I am not a huge fan of Terry Pratchett; I think his SF, even as satirical SF is concerned, is inferior compared to that of earlier satirists like CM Kornbluth, and also he was a militant atheist and opted for euthanasia.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I'll have to look it up. Thanks.

Flatland is a classic, unlike Discworld; Rev. Edwin Abbott conceived of not just a two dimensional space, but four dimensional, one dimensional and zero dimensional spaces. The work also contains exquisite social satire, with Flatland mocking those aspects of Victorian society incompatible with Christianity, namely the racist, classist and sexist attributes.

And he was also a great schoolteacher, who wrote a much used Latin textbook, Via Latina, and an ordained priest and talented theologian in the Church of England, who continued to do interesting literary and theological work throughout his life.

I have a great admiration for Rev. Abbott, and nis skill at making people think in new ways; he was, like me, an imaginative clergyman with a penchant for science fiction and a disdain for the even more corrupt morality of the modern era, in which racism remains and is probably worse, sexism is worse due to imposed tolerance of the abuse of women which is doctrinally mandated in Islam, and which is unique to Islam, under the banner of multiculturalism (while allowing what amounts to hate speech against the Chassidic and Charedi branches of Judaism and against conservative Christians for conduct which does not begin to compare with what Muslims of the Shi’a Jafari and the Sunni Shafti, Hanbali and Maliki fiqhs (schools of jurisprudence) inflict upon their women, but in addition to our hypocritical racism and sexism, we have added gross sexual immorality, impiety, irreligion and a clinical disregard for human life with our abortion clinics and doctor-assisted homicides on a scale that makes the evil 19th century King Leopold of Belgium look like a great humanitarian.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
It's relatively short read. And, it's a pretty easy read, though the ideas are intriguing.

Indeed, this being due to Rev. Abbott’s formation as a priest, which requires the ability to communicate complex theological and moral ideas to a congregation of varying ages and levels of intellectual aptitude, and his training as a schoolteacher, which requires even more skill in communicating complex ideas in a simple way so as to make them accessible to young minds, without coming across as boring or patronizing and thus losing the attention of one’s pupils. Were he not a schoolteacher and a priest, the work surely would have become lost in its own contrivances, which is the fate that befalls so much science fiction and fantasy. For example, the Matrix sequels, or more disastrously, the X-Files, or as far as literary SF is concerned, the progressively more dull and pretentious sequels written to various originally brilliant works of science fiction. I shall not name names of authors, with the exception of L. Ron Hubbard, who started with mediocre science fiction and wound up with unpalettable nonsense, but created a false non-theistic* religion which strains credulity in the same manner as the subject of this thread, but which exploits people in every conceivable way, including sexually, and destroys families in a cruel way, abuses which one cannot accuse Flat Earth believers of engaging in.

Believing in a flat Earth, unlike Islam or Scientology or certain anti-religious political systems like Marxist-Leninism, Stalinism, Trotskyism, Maoism or Hoxhaism, only harms the believer.

*Non-theist religions include Jainism and some forms of Buddhism.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I am not a huge fan of Terry Pratchett; I think his SF, even as satirical SF is concerned, is inferior compared to that of earlier satirists like CM Kornbluth, and also he was a militant atheist and opted for euthanasia.
I have only read, I think, three of his books, maybe four. Didn't know anything about Terry personally. Didn't take his books as satirical —just fun fantasy-comedy. Something in the same vein as Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but more folksy, (and, of course, less playing on words).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Flatland is a classic, unlike Discworld; Rev. Edwin Abbott conceived of not just a two dimensional space, but four dimensional, one dimensional and zero dimensional spaces. The work also contains exquisite social satire, with Flatland mocking those aspects of Victorian society incompatible with Christianity, namely the racist, classist and sexist attributes.

And he was also a great schoolteacher, who wrote a much used Latin textbook, Via Latina, and an ordained priest and talented theologian in the Church of England, who continued to do interesting literary and theological work throughout his life.

I have a great admiration for Rev. Abbott, and nis skill at making people think in new ways; he was, like me, an imaginative clergyman with a penchant for science fiction and a disdain for the even more corrupt morality of the modern era, in which racism remains and is probably worse, sexism is worse due to imposed tolerance of the abuse of women which is doctrinally mandated in Islam, and which is unique to Islam, under the banner of multiculturalism (while allowing what amounts to hate speech against the Chassidic and Charedi branches of Judaism and against conservative Christians for conduct which does not begin to compare with what Muslims of the Shi’a Jafari and the Sunni Shafti, Hanbali and Maliki fiqhs (schools of jurisprudence) inflict upon their women, but in addition to our hypocritical racism and sexism, we have added gross sexual immorality, impiety, irreligion and a clinical disregard for human life with our abortion clinics and doctor-assisted homicides on a scale that makes the evil 19th century King Leopold of Belgium look like a great humanitarian.
I vaguely remember Via Latina, from missionary kids school. My grandmother (an RN) taught Latin for the high schoolers.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟931,727.00
Faith
Atheist
He did not die from euthanasia, though he campaigned for the right: Terry Pratchett - Wikipedia

Pratchett died at his home from complications of Alzheimer's disease on the morning of 12 March 2015. He was 66 years old.[60][61] The Telegraph reported an unidentified source as saying that despite his previous discussion of assisted suicide, his death had been natural.[62]​
Empahsis added.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you had, you would show your evidence.

As someone who has seen Skylab in the sky, and navigated by the stars on land and water, and looked at four of the big moons around Jupiter through a backyard telescope, you better have some good evidence.
Lies! All lies! :laughing:

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Clearly we never went to the moon. Anyone with any video analytic sense can see that. Science has to be the worst religion of them all.
I have evidence that the moon is simply a delusion shared by almost all human beings.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You missed a perfect oppurtunity to say put the gun down! (It's raised in his avatar picture, lol.)
Whose avatar pic? Mine is a picture of my grandson at his first birthday party, and I can assure you he was unarmed.

Upvote 0