• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Flannery O’Connor Didn't Care If You Liked Her Work

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+30,963
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Flannery O’Connor once received a letter from a college professor asking her, on behalf of his students, to intervene in their interpretative conundrum over her now-canonic short story “A Good Man is Hard to Find.” Most readers of O’Connor will know this story, so I will briefly sketch it: Essentially, the professor and students were convinced that the second half of the story, following the car crash, in which the family meets the Misfit and his gang, must be a dream conjured by Bailey, the driver of the car. O’Connor replies:

The interpretation of your ninety students and three teachers is fantastic and about as far from my intentions as it could get to be. If it were a legitimate interpretation, the story would be little more than a trick and its interest would be simply for abnormal psychology. I am not interested in abnormal psychology.

There is a change of tension from the first part of the story to the second where the Misfit enters, but this is no lessening of reality.

One more letter bears mentioning. In O’Connor’s 1960 essay “Some Aspects of the Grotesque in Southern Fiction,” she writes:

I once received a letter from an old lady in California who informed me that when the tired reader comes home at night, he wishes to read something that will lift up his heart. And it seems her heart had not been lifted up by anything of mine she had read. I think that if her heart had been in the right place, it would have been lifted up.

Over the past 20 years, whenever I teach O’Connor’s stories, I provide the students with these two letters. I provide them for two reasons:

1. Because they contain perhaps the clearest articulation of her ethic when it comes to the way she regarded her characters and,
    2. It shows students how she regarded her readers, especially those who had the temerity to question the meaning of her work.
    Characters are not puppets deployed to stand in for or represent larger ideas or issues, and the meaning of any story is not something that can be arrived at intellectually; it must be felt.

Continued below.
    Flannery O’Connor Didn't Care If You Liked Her Work

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. grandvizier1006

grandvizier1006 Still a human by God's grace Supporter

+2,325
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I've got her whole short story collection. Flannery O'Connor really "got" the South and the various nominal Christians who lived there (and unfortunately many of them still do, but I'd like to think that we have gotten slightly better since her time). She also had TONS to say about the writing craft, and as an aspiring writer myself it's great to see that there was a Christian writer who tirelessly and unapologetically advocating for the Christian worldview.