Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I love when people look and talk about how wonderful things were in the 50s and before, how we have declined since then. Have we? From the end of the Civil War until the 60s more than 4000 black Americans were lynched because they tried to stand up for their civil rights. Thousands of Japanese-Americans were wrongly interned during World War II. Women were, and in many cases still are, treated as second-class citizens. We broke treaties and stole land from the Native Americans. Are you saying that wasn't "unsound or reprobate thinking"back then?

Read my post again, carefully.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Years ago, kids brought their rifles to school for gun club. They were taught to hunt at a young age. They were also taught personal responsibility and the value of life. Was it perfect? No. But it was far better than the recipe for destruction we have now. Humanism, especially on the Left, has stripped us of values, which plays very neatly into their totalitarian designs. Because as chaos reigns among the people, there will be a more forceful call for government to provide answers. But government has few answers beyond what the original Founders envisioned the role of government to be.

We used to take our guns on the city bus. We'd ride it to the 'end of the line' at the city limits, then walk the country railroad tracks for rabbits.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So you weren't really responding to my post.
Try rereading my post, carefully.

If you have an issue with my post just say what it is. I don't have time to play games.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We used to take our guns on the city bus. We'd ride it to the 'end of the line' at the city limits, then walk the country railroad tracks for rabbits.
People are different now, and it's due to the cultural departure from Christianity.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First, a thought I got when I saw the title of this thread >

We need to care about what is good for the person who is at risk of being a sucker shooter.
I could end up in an active shooter situation.
Each case is horrible, but your chances of getting killed by cigarettes or a car accident might be greater. The media puts each sucker killer's case in our faces . . . out of a nation of more than 300,000,000. But each gang terrorist shooting and each murdered unborn child gets how much attention?

lack of discipline in the home, horrendous lack of parental support when the schools are trying to control horrible behavior at school (oh no! Not MY KID. What did YOU do to cause my kid to react that way?),
I have been a teacher; it was like this in 1971 or so; I lasted one year; don't be surprised; it wasn't because of the students > there was at least one screwball involved in any problem I had with students or family members or my supervisor.

This evil world produces screwballs; this is not recent news. IN my case I switched from being a mass casualty terrorist in the making, to a hell-fearing goodie two-shoes "class angel" conceited religious hypocrite who had no clue that I was so.

Reform is not enough.

lack of moral values,
But I consider something > the United States has had about two hundred years to produce a religious culture which keeps people on an even keel. If you go back to the religious culture which came before what we have now, it is possible that culture will just again lead on to or give way to what we have now. It hasn't worked.

It has been called a Christian thing. This would mean the Christian way does not work. I understand there is what is better than what has been called "Christian" in the United States. But I don't buy that you can set up laws which will produce all that is needed, which comes only with each one personally trusting in Jesus and being educated by God Himself in us, how to be and love. No system can produce this.

TV that makes it commonplace for people to constantly scream up in each others’ faces and not value any other person but themselves,
Yes, she is right that we need to care about one another.

Until we, as a country, are willing to get serious and talk about mental health issues, lack of available care for the mental health issues, lack of discipline in the home, horrendous lack of parental support when the schools are trying to control horrible behavior at school (oh no! Not MY KID. What did YOU do to cause my kid to react that way?), lack of moral values, and yes, I’ll say it-violent video games that take away all sensitivity to ANY compassion for others’ lives, as well as reality TV that makes it commonplace for people to constantly scream up in each others’ faces and not value any other person but themselves, we will have a gun problem in school. Our kids don’t understand the permanency of death anymore!!!
Ones claim that America used to be a "Christian" nation. Well, what we have now has come after whatever this nation used to be. So, what it used to be very possibly helped to lead to and produce all we have now. So, like I consider > you go back to that and you will come back to here.

One thing I think of right now is we each need to simply do what God has us do. And what is God committed to making successful?

prayer > all-loving, not only about our favorites > Matthew 5:46

example > 1 Peter 5:3

obedience > Genesis 22:18, Colossians 3:15

My parents NEVER supported any bad behavior from me.

My parents invaded my life.
And this person was voted Florida's teacher of the year? She may be considered to be great . . . by the people who have been bringing up the children she is complaining about!

And how were those parents brought up? Maybe by the same culture which brought up her and her parents.

Someone is calling for an invasion. But control is not enough.

From the culture we have had, possibly you get the ones who just decide not to be controlled any more, while others become the goody-goody two-shoes who want to control everybody else.

prayer example obedience

Violence was not this bad 20 years ago.

Lack of compassion wasn’t this bad 20 years ago.
She is right that violence is wrong. Violence, by the way, includes violating other people's privacy. Example wins.

Even so . . . it can be good to have regulation of weapons. Even if this does not stop hardcore committed criminal users of guns, it can help to guide the guys who are, maybe we could say, "in the middle". Reasonable regulations might help certain ones to think twice.

I can see how personal attention can help much more.

But we need to be caring for ones who are trouble. There could be more we can do, personally, than we realize. Even a smile might help. God can use our little seeds.

And my opinion is there are many ruined people, who do not know how to love, and if they had the opportunity they would kill a lot of people. But they don't want to get caught or shot. They have enough to entertain them, so they don't want to lose their stuff because of getting jailed or shot. But if, like happened in Nazi Germany, all the psycho weirdos suddenly knew it was legal and they'd get paid for messing with people . . .

there are many people in America who can kill or who have killed, in order to suit their purposes. The school sucker shooters are the tip of the iceberg. Changing laws won't change their hearts. But Jesus' way works, including >

prayer

example

obedience

Upvote 0

iEye

Captain
Feb 7, 2018
the Southwest
✟1,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
B6C39A29-7DE2-4C0F-A146-AC251AE71F0D.png

One soul cannot be due to two masters—God and Cæsar. And yet Moses carried a rod, and Aaron wore a buckle, and John (Baptist) is girt with leather and Joshua the son of Nun leads a line of march; and the People warred: if it pleases you to sport with the subject. But how will a Christian man war, nay, how will he serve even in peace, without a sword, which the Lord has taken away? For albeit soldiers had come unto John, and had received the formula of their rule; albeit, likewise, a centurion had believed; still the Lord afterward, in disarming Peter, unbelted every soldier. No dress is lawful among us, if assigned to any unlawful action.

— Tertullian, On Idolatry Chapter 19: Concerning Military Service

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums