✟10,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No. It's not.

Yes, it is. Arguing for the sake of arguing isn't getting the conversation any where, nor is it improving our knowledge.

I stated my opinion, and you stated yours. It's immature of us as christians to argue over this.

Someone threatening to cancel their support for your business or channel because you're against their lifestyle is persecution in some of its mildest forms.

Persecution - hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of race or political or religious beliefs.

Persecution can also be subjective to the person facing the issue. What i consider ill-treatment and hostility may not bother you.

----

Also, the fact they're making headlines because they simply visit a Church is persecution in of itself. Forcing them to keep quiet on issues they should not have to be quiet on to AVOID persecution.

If the church and family refuses to comment. There's a reason and that reason is to avoid persecution. This is easily deduced.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is. Arguing for the sake of arguing isn't getting the conversation any where, nor is it improving our knowledge.

I stated my opinion, and you stated yours. It's immature of us as christians to argue over this.

Someone threatening to cancel their support for your business or channel because you're against their lifestyle is persecution in some of its mildest forms.

Persecution - hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of race or political or religious beliefs.
If that's the bar we're setting, what ISN'T persecution?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Homosexuality is a sin" hasn't been the "social default" in a long time for most people outside the Evangelical Bubble. At the very least, there is/was more nuance present.

Truly? Well perhaps ignored by some churches. However, fornication and homosexuality which is fornication are still sins in Holy Scriptures.

The most ancient of catechisms also defines homosexuality as sin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: jerrygab2
Upvote 0

Disciple37

Dec 1, 2016
Mississippi
Visit site
✟10,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If that's the bar we're setting, what ISN'T persecution?

If the family and church refuse to comment .. they obviously feel they will be persecuted. If they have to be quiet about their spiritual beliefs out of fear, that's persecution in itself and the very means in which persecution is founded. Fear to speak your beliefs.

http://www.toddstarnes.com/column/fixer-upper-stars-under-fire-for-attending-evangelical-church

"Understandably, neither the Gaines family nor the church wanted to comment. And nor should they have to comment."

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They might be, but what do any of those sources say that makes them "under fire"? Specifically?
"Under fire" because the media sources reporting it are the ones firing.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Under fire" because the media sources reporting it are the ones firing.
I see no firing, I see basic reporting.

Now, if you want to criticise the cult of celebrity, where we make breathless news reports out of the endless parade of Kardasian wannabe nobodies, well, then I'm 100% in agreement. But crying foul when when someone who wants public recognition holds publicly questionable views? That's fair game, IMHO.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Homosexuality is a sin" hasn't been the "social default" in a long time for most people outside the Evangelical Bubble.
Last time I checked our Catholic and Orthodox brethren also consider it sinful.

They are WAY outside the "Evangelical Bubble."

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Last time I checked our Catholic and Orthodox brethren also consider it sinful.

They are WAY outside the "Evangelical Bubble."
Catholics don't consider homosexuality sinful. You should probably check again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Disciple37

Dec 1, 2016
Mississippi
Visit site
✟10,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Wait ... what? Catholics do not consider homosexuality a sin? The Bible claims it's an abomination several times. Sexual depravity is one of the final straws before God's judgement.

I've never heard a Catholic say homosexuality isn't a sin.

You can go to Wikipedia and see the catholic belief.

Catholic teaching condemns homosexual acts as gravely immoral, while holding that homosexual persons "must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity",

However, i must disagree that we are to accept homosexuals that are openly practicing homosexuality. If you have homosexual tendencies they must be fought just like that of a heterosexual person tendencies. (Lust)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok:

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/homosexuality

Every human being is called to receive a gift of divine sonship, to become a child of God by grace. However, to receive this gift, we must reject sin, including homosexual behavior—that is, acts intended to arouse or stimulate a sexual response regarding a person of the same sex. The Catholic Church teaches that such acts are always violations of divine and natural law.

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In 8 years we went from "homosexuality is a sin" being the social default position, to that being enough reason for you to be socially crucified. It's crazy how fast things flipped.
Once the foundation stone is removed, or once the anchor is lifted, the default position is totally dependent on which way the wind happens to be blowing.
The left mostly did not think that this would be a problem, because they believe in progress and the idea that history is on their side. Whether it be moral censures against licentiousness, or filibuster in the Senate, for those with a "history is on our side" attitude, checks and balances can seem to be an impediment to progress.
As often as not though, history turns out to be a pendulum. Remove the checks and balances of that pendulum swinging too far left, and the pendulum only gains momentum to swing twice as hard on its return to the right.
We may not see that now, but then again who saw the rise of white nationalism in Eruope, or Brexit or even the rise of Trump two days before the election?

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction is the physical law on how momentum works. People on the left might feel it to be quite convenient to grab Evangelicals by the neck today. If history is progressive, then this makes sense. Humiliate and vanquish your enemies. If history is a pendulum though, removing all the checks and balances in civil society against grabbing people by the neck, eventually leaves all necks exposed.

Biblically speaking, Sarah oppressed the Egyptian slave Hagar, because she could. The next thing you know, the Israelis were slaves in Hagar's Egypt for five hundred years.
Pendulums swing, and for that reason, God reminds us to remember our times in Egypt in our dealings with vulnerable people.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well? Does he?Well? Is it?
And? if it's OK for some people to boycott businesses and individuals for being pro LGBT, why shouldn't the reverse apply?

Please let's not fall for the trick of getting swept up in an engineered publicity stunt. Celebrities' religious affiliations are rarely (if ever) made media fodder without them being complicit.

The point is that most people who go to church would fall under some of these accusations. The show runners are not vocal about their church or pastor, it's their private life, but now apparently hosts or celebrities who to go to church (since most churches back this belief) are now at risk for ridicule and petitions. Thankfully HCTV is only responding so far that they do not wish to comment on their host's personal lives and are politely saying back off, but this is still an alarming trend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"Homosexuality is a sin" hasn't been the "social default" in a long time for most people outside the Evangelical Bubble. At the very least, there is/was more nuance present.
Do you realize how big that bubble is??? Most Catholics are included in that.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Wrong. Homosexuality (which is the actions of being homosexual) is a mortal sin. That you have an attraction to those of the same sex is not a sin. Actions are sinful, thoughts aren't.

• Agree
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Wait ... what? Catholics do not consider homosexuality a sin? The Bible claims it's an abomination several times. Sexual depravity is one of the final straws before God's judgement.

I've never heard a Catholic say homosexuality isn't a sin.

You can go to Wikipedia and see the catholic belief.

Catholic teaching condemns homosexual acts as gravely immoral, while holding that homosexual persons "must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity",

However, i must disagree that we are to accept homosexuals that are openly practicing homosexuality. If you have homosexual tendencies they must be fought just like that of a heterosexual person tendencies. (Lust)
You're right as long as you're speaking of what makes homosexuals homosexual-having sex with someone of the same sex. Actually, what it is is that any sex outside of the sacrament of Marriage is sinful. Having an attraction to someone of the same sex is not.

• Agree
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They're public figures, I think it's a fair enough question if people genuinely want to know. Get back to me when anyone demands they change their beliefs or unlawfully discriminates against them.

These articles aren't just about people calmly asking questions and wondering. Some people are continuing witch hunts.

Speaking on that, why it is it the public's business? This couple hosts a home renovation show that has nothing to do with religion. They don't bring their religion up. I have no idea why they should be required to state the details of their religious beliefs in the first place.

As the article states,

It’s absolutely true that the Gaines family attends a church that believes marriage is between one man and one woman.

Should that disqualify them from having a television program on HGTV?

Do the militant LGBT activists want to create a Black List – banning individuals who attend evangelical Christian churches from working in the industry? Is that what they really want?​

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
http://www.toddstarnes.com/column/fixer-upper-stars-under-fire-for-attending-evangelical-church

Apparently, the militant homosexuals and liberal media (buzzfeed, huffpo, etc) can't stand the fact that the couple attends an evangelical church that teaches *gasp* that homosexuality is a sin and that marriage is between one man and one woman.

How long until they demand HGTV cancel the show? All over the private religious beliefs if the hosts.
I must confess that I have a crush on Joanne! Oh my heavens, she gives me goose bumps..... but she's married and so am I. Nice people, it's sad that the gay controversy seeks out people for trouble!

Upvote 0