Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Leaf-peepers are about to hit the road in force – as they always do this time of year. While soaking in the burning foliage colors with your eyes, it's only too easy to forget you're behind the wheel, a situation that can lead to disastrous consequences. There are some states where beautiful foliage and deer prancing on the streets just seem to go together, according to a study by insurance company State Farm. So, if your autumn plans include scoping out the trees, make sure you look out for deer, too.

Five states where you're most likely to hit a deer this fall | Gadling.com

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I kind of figured Montana would be on there. I was driving from Fort Lewis, Washington to Alabama back in June, and was taking I-90 East. Driving through Montana and I'm looking about a mile ahead of me and I see something in the road. Got closer and it's 3 deer just standing around like nothing was going on. I had to stop my car, yell at them and attempt to chase them for them to move. This was at 6am and the sun was bright in the sky. Imagine if this had been at night.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Both my husband & I have hit deer this year (New York, medium risk). There's not much you can do when they step in front of your car at night. By the time you see them on the highway, it's too late. They're on the street in my neighborhood as well, but the speed is much slower and the light is better.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In the last two days I've seen four new dead deer on the major road that runs by our little town. When I lived in Michigan, we had to always be careful on our trip back from the Traverse City area because deer always ran all over I75.

I can't access the article (won't load for me right now) but I'm imagining that MN and MI would both be on the list.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Both my husband & I have hit deer this year (New York, medium risk). There's not much you can do when they step in front of your car at night. By the time you see them on the highway, it's too late. They're on the street in my neighborhood as well, but the speed is much slower and the light is better.

I was going to say... New York is medium to high risk, especially the farther north you go. 2 or 3 years ago on Labor Day weekend, my parents were driving through Keene, which is up in the Adirondacks in northern NY, and they hit a deer. Didn't kill it, but they couldn't drive any farther due to the fact that the radiator was busted and leaking coolant and they were 2 hours from home, with a drive down the Northway (I-87 South) still ahead of them. They have AAA, but still had to stay overnight at a motel.

I live roughly halfway between NYC and the NY-Canada border, on the east side of the Hudson, in Rensselaer County, which is mostly rural. I can't tell you how many times I've seen deer at the side of the road when I am driving through the county on my way to Massachusetts. I was driving back from Lenox, MA at around 12:30 AM on a Sunday morning 2 months ago and two deer ran out in front of me. Luckily they were far enough away that there wasn't a chance of me hitting them.

Upvote 0