Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Looks like we can add Mid-Atlantic to Southern Florida and Pacific North West as centres of Fish & Chippery.

Crinkle cut is supposed to result in crisper chips due to the increased surface area exposed to hot oil in the cooking process. While I can buy frozen crinkle cut chips I don't recall ever seeing them in a Fish & Chip shop.

OB
I’ve never seen those served with fish.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't put ketchup or vinegar on french fries. Just salt. A metric ton of salt, 'cause I heard it's good for you.

I don't get why people put ketchup on fries. Nobody puts it on potato cooked any other way. Nobody puts ketchup on baked potato, or boiled potato, or mashed potato, or roasted potato. But if you fry it all of a sudden it's gotta have ketchup.

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There's also potato salad with vinegar.
German potato salad with vinegar is popular around these parts. We call it "German potato salad", although I guess you don't call it that. That would be weird I suppose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Catsup (earlier catchup, 1680s) is a failed attempt at Englishing,..
"Englishing" sounds like a failed attempt at English. Can one engage in Russianing? Germaning? Frenching? (don't answer)

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
German potato salad with vinegar is popular around these parts. We call it "German potato salad", although I guess you don't call it that. That would be weird I suppose.

There is German potato salad with vinegar and "Amish" potato salad with mayonnaise. But I grew up with mayonnaise potato salad and never new it as "Amish."

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't put ketchup or vinegar on french fries. Just salt. A metric ton of salt, 'cause I heard it's good for you.

I don't get why people put ketchup on fries. Nobody puts it on potato cooked any other way. Nobody puts ketchup on baked potato, or boiled potato, or mashed potato, or roasted potato. But if you fry it all of a sudden it's gotta have ketchup.

Australians are more potato inclusive. They put tomato sauce (your 'ketchup') on EVERYTHING especially all forms of potato. I am a little more culturally refined - I prefer HP or Worcestershire sauce on everything.

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Fish, Chips, and Vinegar is good but one better is Fish, Chips, and Ranch dressing :)

Just the thought is enough to send me gagging. "Ranch dressing' is just 'mayonnaise' pretending it rides a horse and owns a six-shooter. :rolleyes:

OB

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's called swabian potato salad, with swabia being a region of south germany. So I think your name is close enough.

• Informative
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Online Etymological Dictionary (my favourite website) has a couple of suggestions but nothing definite.

ketchup (n.)
1711, said to be from Malay (Austronesian) kichap, but probably not original to Malay. It might have come from Chinese koechiap "brine of fish," which, if authentic, perhaps is from the Chinese community in northern Vietnam [Terrien de Lacouperie, in "Babylonian and Oriental Record," 1889, 1890]. Catsup (earlier catchup, 1680s) is a failed attempt at Englishing, still in use in U.S., influenced by cat and sup.
OB
I speak Malay and in Malay ketchup is spelt "kecap" but is not tomato based (which would be called "saus tomat" not ketchup) and it's more soy based. Malay is phonetic and there's no /ch/ just a /c/ (for the same "ch" sound). But it's phonetic because it was changed that way and back in the 1700s it would have all kinds of spellings I'm sure.

The more common ones are "Kecap Manis" lit. Sweet Ketchup which is a thick sweet soy-based sauce. "Kecap Asam" lit. Salty Ketchup which is soy sauce. And "Kecap Ingris" lit. English Ketchup which is wochestershire sauce. You can call a lot of stir fry style of sauces "kecap" like teriyaki and an Asian fish sauce. If kecap was without an adjective in my Malay social circles it would default to kecap manis.

I'm not Malay myself so I can't speak to the logic behind what can be called kecap and what is not but tomato based sauces are not called kecap. No doubt the modern Malay understanding of it has evolved into what it is today. I suspect the Dutch carried the term into western circles which was adopted eventually into tomato ketchup.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is fish'n chips with salt and vinegar unusual in the US and Canada?
In Canada fish 'n chips are common with salt and vinegar. Others are tartar sauce, or ketchup but it's perfectly normal to use salt and vinegar. There's even a common children's song sung in rounds about fish 'n chips and vinegar. My personal favorite is malt vinegar.

When it comes to battered/deepfried fish served with larger cut fries its called fish 'n chips. Otherwise Canadians don't use the "chips" term often. It's fries or french fries but not chips. A chip wagon is common place enough but even then you get fries at a chip wagon not chips. With a plate of fish 'n chips collectively it's fish 'n chips but if you were to isolated the chips they would be fries. For example "These fish 'n chips have good fries."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
In Canada fish 'n chips are common with salt and vinegar. Others are tartar sauce, or ketchup but it's perfectly normal to use salt and vinegar. There's even a common children's song sung in rounds about fish 'n chips and vinegar. My personal favorite is malt vinegar.

When it comes to battered/deepfried fish served with larger cut fries its called fish 'n chips. Otherwise Canadians don't use the "chips" term often. It's fries or french fries but not chips. A chip wagon is common place enough but even then you get fries at a chip wagon not chips. With a plate of fish 'n chips collectively it's fish 'n chips but if you were to isolated the chips they would be fries. For example "These fish 'n chips have good fries."

Thanks Damian. It's these little fries/chips conundrums that make English, and how she is spoke, fascinating.

OB

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Most places around here serve fish and chips with tartar sauce, but the more reputable establishments offer malt vinegar. I always use it judiciously, as I hate to see a well crisped dish get soggified. Ketchup is an option, but most reserve it for french fries or home fries, a sliced and griddled potato concoction.

I must object to ranch being designated as just tarted up mayonnaise. At it's best it is a sour cream/buttermilk dip with lots of fresh herbs and spices. Maybe some mayo for texture. Given all the bottled monstrosities, you'd be forgiven for mistaking it.

And Amish potato salad is mayo based but has the unfortunate distinction of being on the sweet side.

Upvote 0