✟11,490.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi so today i went to church.

I had a dream and we wanted to pray about it.
So halfway in he said i get the strong feeling you can speak in tongue to.

So i did. It was verry thrilling but scary to. Since im new to all this.

He said to practice it. But i have no clue how to practice this. Do you guys have any pointers or tips.?

Reactions: tturt

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The gift of tongues is for your personal edification, so yes,...you practice it every day, as much as possible. It is prayer, so it is between you and GOD, not the church.

The corporate gift of tongues is for the body of Christ and it requires interpretation. It is different from your prayer language.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party

He said to practice it. But i have no clue how to practice this. Do you guys have any pointers or tips.?
Don't take any notice of the negative comments. I started speaking in tongues about 40 years ago and I haven't stopped speaking in tongues. As scripture states, speaking in tongues edifies the believer, so don't let your fears stop you.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's amazing how some give more credit to the enemy than to God.

Also, "Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." I Cor 14:39

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lieke, dont let doubt rob you of this spiritual gift. I Cor 12:10

We need to renew our minds with God's word.. When the doubt comes, immediately replace with Scripture such as "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" Luk 11:13

Tongues are a sign - To unbelievers - By believers.
(I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) This means any believer can receive the gift of tongues. But not every believer will have ithe spiritual gift of tongues with interpretation. I Cor 12:10

There are numerous reasons to speak in tongues including .edification which has already been mentioned., magnify God (Acts 10:46), edifying the church ((I Cor 14:5), allows us to led by the Spirit (Rom 8:14) Also,"But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. "Jude v 20-21. Additionally, Jesus baptizes us with or into The Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) Acts 2 baptized with the Holy Spirit with speaking in tongues. (Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; Acts 11:16.) "And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

There's 6500 languages. If you want to interpret your prayer language, you can asks God. I Cor 14:13

The more we speak in tongues, the more we, as believers, benefit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lieke

Nov 27, 2019
Eindhoven
✟11,490.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lieke, dont let doubt rob you of this spiritual gift. I Cor 12:10

We need to renew our minds with God's word.. When the doubt comes, immediately replace with Scripture such as "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" Luk 11:13

Tongues are a sign - To unbelievers - By believers.
(I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) This means any believer can receive the gift of tongues. But not every believer will have ithe spiritual gift of tongues with interpretation. I Cor 12:10

There are numerous reasons to speak in tongues including .edification which has already been mentioned., magnify God (Acts 10:46), edifying the church ((I Cor 14:5), allows us to led by the Spirit (Rom 8:14) Also,"But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. "Jude v 20-21. Additionally, Jesus baptizes us with or into The Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) Acts 2 baptized with the Holy Spirit with speaking in tongues. (Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; Acts 11:16.) "And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

There's 6500 languages. If you want to interpret your prayer language, you can asks God. I Cor 14:13

The more we speak in tongues, the more we, as believers, benefit.

Thabks this has been verry helpfull! And insightfull.
Right now i do believe its real and all. Because last night their was a demon in my house. And first i prayed then i spoke in tongues and then he was gone. And i speak off expirence that normal praywrs usally dont work their really really strong in my house.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not surprised they left

Thought this is interesting -
"But you, my delightfully loved friends, constantly and progressively build yourselves up on the foundation of your most holy faith by praying every moment in the Spirit. Fasten your hearts to the love of God and receive the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who gives us eternal life." Jude

The Passion Translation

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lieke

Nov 27, 2019
Eindhoven
✟11,490.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the verse. Its very helpfull.

Could you maybe send me a message. I cant seem to find the message on ur profile. Would love to talk with you but im still a new member and somone sended me a message and then i could respond to it.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Think you have to have 20 posts and 5 likes to 'start a conversation" maybe that includes responding I'll send you something and see if it works by me beginning the conversation. Whateverv I send you will be based on Scripture.

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mod Hat On

Some Posts and Responses
have been Removed
in
Thread Clean
RV: Statement of Purpose - Sign Gifts Forum Statement of Purpose

The Sign Gifts forum is a discussion forum for CF members who believe that the sign gifts of the Spirit are still active in the church today. The sign gifts (miraculous gifts) of the Spirit are referenced in Acts 2:4, Acts 19:6, 1 Corinthians 14:27-28, and 1 Corinthians 12:28. The sign gifts which may be discussed in this forum are: Speaking in Tongues, Interpretation of Tongues, Healing, and Miracles. Dreams and visions (and the interpretation of) may also be discussed in this forum. Personal Prophecy (prophetic utterance) will be considered off-topic to all site forums. These may be posted in your own personal blog.

This is a safe house forum for those members who believe that the sign gifts are still active today. Criticizing or mocking members who hold that view is not allowed. If you wish to debate whether or not the sign gifts are still active today, please start a thread in the General Theology forum.

Mod Hat Off

Reactions: Lieke
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
..... Do you guys have any pointers or tips.?
Verify every message by Scripture. The gifts of God and from God are always in harmony with Scripture.
In Scripture there are good instructions concerning everything we do. "decently and in order" for instance.
'test' everything is not just for messages, (sermons), but for the spirits also. Many spirits may 'talk' to us, and we are to test the spirits - be sure .
There is amazing 'profit' (spiritual profit) when Jesus is present, when God's Spirit is speaking, whether in tongues, prophecy, or a word of wisdom, word of knowledge, or from an evangelist, teacher, or sermon message. This is always in line with God's Word, Plan and Purpose. (or is supposed to be)
Usually, I think, the men who are mature elders and deacons (or just older with experience in God) are 'on watch' , alert as Scripture directs, like shepherds who are watching over the flocks in the field, and the 'sheep' can relax. :) Like written in Ephesians, there are those who are appointed by God to prepare and train the believers in the assembly, with joy and peace, and not everyone (as if in anarchy) in a meeting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How do i test it.
Like how do i search jn the bible that verse im searching foe
This is awkward today, since few people are like the Bereans (as they were raised, I think, or at least were daily searching the Scripture and were much more familiar with it than we are). They also did not have to deal with "English" language ! :)

Pray frequently, laying all things before the throne of God. ASK, as written in James, for wisdom, as God grants wisdom to everyone freely and generously without reproach (HE WELCOMES US! ) (all the time!)
(Like little children ~! :) )

To find specific verses, ideas, topics, to search, it is sometimes useful to use a bible search online - blue letter bible or biblegateway or ?esword available and so forth - I use blue letter bible and biblegateway daily.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thabks this has been verry helpfull! And insightfull.
Right now i do believe its real and all. Because last night their was a demon in my house. And first i prayed then i spoke in tongues and then he was gone. And i speak off expirence that normal praywrs usally dont work their really really strong in my house.
In your shoes My question would be were demons in your house before you spoke today's modern day version of what people think tongues is.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Back in '73 I was prayed for to receive the "Baptism in the Holy Spirit" (as we in the Full Gospel Businessman's Fellowship referred to the Acts 2:4 experience). Nothing happened.

But, about a month later during worship in a FGBMFI Dinner meeting, an "odd word" popped into my mind, so I spoke it, and then more "Odd words" began to flow as I spoke them. And I was aware that I was "speaking in a tongue", and that I wan't "making it up" personally, but it was being sourced from somewhere else (The Holy Spirit). It wasn't "Thrilling", or particularly "Emotional" in any sense. It was "just there", and I spoke it as it came. I still do 46 years later.

For ME, there's never been any "Grand emotional feelings" connected to it. It's satisfying to know that I'm manifesting in speech something that is being given to me by the Holy Spirit. Some folks have joyously cataclysmic experiences, and some don't

It DOESN'T TAKE PRACTICE!!!! You simply Speak the words that the Holy Spirit sends into your mind.

There was a brief period of doubt, as I realized similarities between what I was speaking, and what other "tongues" had sounded like (I was afraid I was just "copying"), but remembering the beginning of the utterances, I realized that I was simply speaking WHAT THE HOLY SPIRIT provided, and wasn't copying anybody else, or "Making it up" myself. I haven't doubted since, and am aware if I'm "making sounds" out of my own mind, or flowing with the Holy Spirit.

NOTE: there's a DANGEROUS TEACHING in Pentecostal/Charismatic circles about "Priming the pump" - i.e. that you should "make random sounds", or "Talk Baby talk" in Order to "Get tongues going". This can result in a person babbling gibberish that their own mind is generating, and THINKING that It's "tongues" from the Holy Spirit - reinforced by zealous alter workers that tell them "you've got it!!"

The additional reinforcement that "something significant" had happened after I first spoke in a tongue was that, almost immediately, I found myself deeply engaged in leading Bible studies, teaching for HOURS when before that would simply have been impossible for me - I'm not "quick of tongue", and the Holy Spirit simply loaded me with what I should teach the night before, and then I gave it to the folks in the study.

I also was burdened several times to deliver Interpretation of tongues in Church service - the FIRST time, interpreting the "Tongue" of a man, whose tongues I'd written off as "Phony" (Before I ever experienced the gift myself). I got less "judgmental" after that.

As has been pointed out here (and what was probably the "Corinthian problem") is that speaking in a tongue as a personal gift, DOES NOT MEAN you can deliver a Message in tongues in a meeting - any more that speaking English means that you can deliver "prophesy" just because you feel like it.

Apparently the Corinthians were "Showing off" their prayer tongues, and creating confusion. IF you're burdened during a service to speak in a tongue, God will "Choreograph" the service, holding it for your utterance, burdening one (That He already knows is there) to interpret, and then releasing the service flow when the Interpretor is finished.

Interpretation, and Prophesy come exactly the same way that "tongues" do - the Holy Spirit supplying directly to your mind, the first few words you're to speak (now in the common tongue) along with a "Spiritual Burden" to speak when God "holds" the service for your utterance. When you speak the few words you HAVE, then they will "flow" until the message (or your part of it, if multiple interpreters are involved) ends. You don't add to, or subtract from what the Holy Spirit gives you.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian

Practice, more in terms of, make it a habit. my began as one syllable then grew rapidly.

Ironically the only way to "practice" is to simply surrender to it, and allow it to come out.

Upvote 0