NSEW
✟85,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've seen references made in various places about the things new Orthodox Christians shouldn't do in the first three years or so after baptism. I remember my priest saying specifically we can't serve as readers or chanters. I can't seem to find a comprehensive source of this, though, so if anyone could suggest more resources it would be much appreciated!

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, we have people elevated to Bishop days after baptism, so even the canons are adjusted for the situation!

As for me, I went from zealously anti-Orthodox to zealously Orthodox in 3 years. It is actually pretty uncomfortable, because I was here looking for answers not long ago and now people are coming to me looking for answers. Probably a good thing not do in the first three years is to assert oneself too much.

Sadly, I think the extreme changes that Covid foisted onto all of us foisted my wife and I from passive parishioners to having to be much more discerning. After all, we had to find a parish that was open, so it wasn't enough to simply sit back, be faithful, and otherwise not be too critical of anything. God willing we can revert back to that and the more normal things are becoming, the more we are I observe.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've seen references made in various places about the things new Orthodox Christians shouldn't do in the first three years or so after baptism. I remember my priest saying specifically we can't serve as readers or chanters. I can't seem to find a comprehensive source of this, though, so if anyone could suggest more resources it would be much appreciated!

Chuckles, of course if you show up early to a service, you might get "voluntold" to be a chanter. I was chrismated in Feb 2002. Three months later, I showed up early for the Descent from the Cross service on Good Friday. My priest came up and said in his thick Greek accent, "Ah good, since no one else is here, you'll be chanting". My German Lutheran upbringing demands that I show up at least 5 minutes early before a church service has had me chanting for 19 years now.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Chuckles, of course if you show up early to a service, you might get "voluntold" to be a chanter.

haha, that happened to my neighbor and me while at Seminary. no one was there so Fr Sergius had us read the Hours before Liturgy.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
haha, that happened to my neighbor and me while at Seminary. no one was there so Fr Sergius had us read the Hours before Liturgy.

At least you were in Seminary! I hadn't been Orthodox for 3 months at that point!

Back to the OP... More practically, you probably don't want to get put into public positions until you've been Orthodox a few years. It takes time to settle into not only the Orthodox mindset but also into the practical stuff that goes on in a parish. For example, you probably shouldn't try the prayer life of a monk your first Lent or argue online about if a prepackaged item has canola oil is it fast friendly. Even when it comes to parish life, follow what your priest recommends. Take your time to wade in the shallow waters and adjust to Orthodox life.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
At least you were in Seminary! I hadn't been Orthodox for 3 months at that point!

when I first read the Epistle, our deacon asked me if I wanted to read it, before I could answer my priest said, "Yes, he does."

• Haha
Reactions: E.C.
Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've found that I've carried a lot of unseen Protestant baggage with me. The quietness of just being a peasant has been great in order to focus on myself. Which is really needed once you enter Orthodoxy. 4yrs in and I'm finding myself to need even more time to deal with "me"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Chuckles, of course if you show up early to a service, you might get "voluntold" to be a chanter.
That's how it was in boot camp! ^_^

I'll never forget this one particular Sunday there. Chaplain Butts starts off telling everyone "okay, this is the Eastern Orthodox service. If that's what you were looking for than you're in the right place. Who here is actually Orthodox? (6/12 recruits raise their hands) Great! Who knows how to sing? (1 of the Orthodox recruits and 2 non-Orthodox raise their hands) Great! For the Orthodox recruit, would you mind being the choir today? For the non-Orthodox singers, if you'd like to sing with the choir you are more than welcome to, just follow the Orthodox singer's melody because Orthodox chant is a bit different than Western singing. For everyone else, please sing if you'd like just be sure to follow the flow of our one-recruit choir. Now, do any of the Orthodox recruits know how to read? (I slowly raise my hand saying "kinda") Great! What jurisdiction did you come from? OCA? Cool, here's the Apostle and today's reading go over it a few times and if all you can do is in-tone the reading that's fine; I'm just happy to have a reader and a choir! Now, only the Orthodox may receive Communion, we have blessed bread for everyone else. Please give your church name when you come up to the chalice. Now, Blessed is the Kingdoooooom..."

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's how it was in boot camp! ^_^

I'll never forget this one particular Sunday there. Chaplain Butts starts off telling everyone "okay, this is the Eastern Orthodox service. If that's what you were looking for than you're in the right place. Who here is actually Orthodox? (6/12 recruits raise their hands) Great! Who knows how to sing? (1 of the Orthodox recruits and 2 non-Orthodox raise their hands) Great! For the Orthodox recruit, would you mind being the choir today? For the non-Orthodox singers, if you'd like to sing with the choir you are more than welcome to, just follow the Orthodox singer's melody because Orthodox chant is a bit different than Western singing. For everyone else, please sing if you'd like just be sure to follow the flow of our one-recruit choir. Now, do any of the Orthodox recruits know how to read? (I slowly raise my hand saying "kinda") Great! What jurisdiction did you come from? OCA? Cool, here's the Apostle and today's reading go over it a few times and if all you can do is in-tone the reading that's fine; I'm just happy to have a reader and a choir! Now, only the Orthodox may receive Communion, we have blessed bread for everyone else. Please give your church name when you come up to the chalice. Now, Blessed is the Kingdoooooom..."

That's a great story!

Three years into my conversion from Protestantism to almost Orthodoxy (AKA Eastern Catholic) Fr. +Mike, of happy memory, came out after the Liturgy and announced that he was really lacking in young boys to serve the altar and if any of the older men would like to serve he would welcome them.

And here we are. 10 years at St. Ann and I have some very happy memories of serving the priests there. My story about how I got "voluntold" to be cantor is even more interesting.

Attachments

• Altar Boy 3.jpg
    Altar Boy 3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Love it!!

That's a great story!

Three years into my conversion from Protestantism to almost Orthodoxy (AKA Eastern Catholic) Fr. +Mike, of happy memory, came out after the Liturgy and announced that he was really lacking in young boys to serve the altar and if any of the older men would like to serve he would welcome them.

And here we are. 10 years at St. Ann and I have some very happy memories of serving the priests there. My story about how I got "voluntold" to be cantor is even more interesting.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,179,025.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's a great story!

I would love to be an altar 'boy' :)
As we have a reasonable number of young'ns, I have to experience it vicariously through my son ^_^

Upvote 0