Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys,

Just putting out a warning here.

One of the stalwart supports of an unjust government is controlling the media. Either shutting it down or allowing it only to report what the government approves as worthy to report. Pretty much every communist, fascist or murderous government has held the ability to control the media. One of the bulwarks of our freedoms is freedom of the press. We believe that the press has a legal right to report to us pretty much anything that some publisher feels should be reported.

By controlling the media, a government has the ability to filter what the citizens know and unfortunately, when any government wants to stifle the media it's generally because they don't want the people to know what evil is being done. In light of such an idea:

Trump Threatens to Pull NBC Off the Air Over Scathing Story

We hear so often during this administration that our president has made some statement that is generally confirmed by some staff administrator or other person who was involved, but then later the 'whitehouse' denies that the words were said. Somebody's lying and unfortunately, based on the previous record of lies, I personally can't help but think it's our president. Now, apparently, in our president's ongoing war against the media, it seems that he, too, wants to begin shutting down the media.

Of course, I don't expect anything to come of it. I think our constitution would certainly prevent anything like his supposed comment would cause to happen, but it's the nature of the person making such a statement that I think we should want to understand about the leader of our nation. It would seem that his entire efforts to 'make America great again' depends on our desire to believe all the untruths that are being used to support the supposed agenda that's going to make America great again.

So far, we don't seem to be moving in some direction that most of us seem to think is making America great again. It even seems that most of our allied nations have taken the temporary measure of just ignoring our leadership until this era is over.

We just seem to be constantly and always treading on the edge of some precipice since this administration came into power.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Last edited:

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, he can't (barring some serious stormtrooper-like mischief) pull NBC's license, because they don't have a license to pull. I suppose he could try to pull the licenses of major affiliates, but oh boy that would be in court so fast that heads would spin, and he'd most likely get righteously law-hammered in a major way.

So his statement is ridiculous on it's face, and pretty much is either just playing to his base while knowing it's a stupid thing to even suggest, or he just plain doesn't know how the government, the office of the presidency, or the constitution actually work. Or maybe both, with a helping of impulsive petulance thrown in for good measure.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, he can't (barring some serious stormtrooper-like mischief) pull NBC's license, because they don't have a license to pull. I suppose he could try to pull the licenses of major affiliates, but oh boy that would be in court so fast that heads would spin, and he'd most likely get righteously law-hammered in a major way.

So his statement is ridiculous on it's face, and pretty much is either just playing to his base while knowing it's a stupid thing to even suggest, or he just plain doesn't know how the government, the office of the presidency, or the constitution actually work. Or maybe both, with a helping of impulsive petulance thrown in for good measure.

Hi majj,

Well, I read another story where it was mentioned to him that his worry might not be impeachment so much as an article 25 medical removal. According to the source, his response was 'What's that?" Of course, I'm sure all of us remember his famous one liner when he first started his attack on our present healthcare laws..."Who knew healthcare could be so difficult?"

So, I'm inclined to believe that while most of this is just his standard bravado noise and super authoritarianism, I do believe he went into his new job with little real understanding of the job and work of being the President of the United States. He apparently, according to the evidence of his talk and work, thought it was just like running one of his companies.

I'm hoping he's unsuccessful in his words to shut down detractors. Otherwise I'm likely to find myself shortly in the Gulag of the United States.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
One of the stalwart supports of an unjust government is controlling the media.
One of the bulwarks of our freedoms is freedom of the press.
We just seem to be constantly and always treading on the edge of some precipice since this administration came into power.

Remember the media was pretty much totally bought and has been controlled since about ww1.
Information about war, drugs, finance, insurance, cigarettes, politics, medicine,
healing, righteousness, Jesus, groups faithful to Jesus, groups not faithful to Jesus, education,
has been not only allowed, or censored, or altered,
but built up to promote complete and utter falsehoods
for over a generation....

• Agree
Reactions: football5680
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Remember the media was pretty much totally bought and has been controlled since about ww1.
Information about war, drugs, finance, insurance, cigarettes, politics, medicine,
healing, righteousness, Jesus, groups faithful to Jesus, groups not faithful to Jesus, education,
has been not only allowed, or censored, or altered,
but built up to promote complete and utter falsehoods
for over a generation....

Hi Y,

Well, I don't share your understanding of what our media has become, as regards the large stalwart news organizations. However, it is true that we are inundated with a lot of 'fake' news and have been since the inception of the National Enquirer. I do agree that today we must be very careful in filtering what is really truthful news and what the smaller and often more vociferous news agencies fill our heads with regarding conspiracy theories and created media that is found on the web. We definitely live in a different type of media age than before the great war.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
understanding of what our media has become,
this ? >
it is true that we are inundated with a lot of 'fake' news

the so-called
the large stalwart news organizations
were all bought, were they not, before 1950 :
the major newspapers
by one man/ one corporation/ and heavily censored
the television broadcasting stations
by who? I don't know specifically, only they also heavily spun and censored for what was allowed and what was not allowed,
otherwise, without any hesitation and with no doubt,
no one would have started drinking "altered" products that caused a lot of disease (according to the licensed ama doctors) ,
nor would anyone have thought immunizations were a good idea, nor would anyone have been 'brain-washed' to think cigarettes are 'C O O L ' and sophisticated to smoke, nor would alcohol have been promoted so much without many more warnings, nor would most people have supported any of the wars, not even the big ones, if they new the truth....
nor would the federal reserve system been put in place, at least not so secretly (for its purpose) and not with the 'silent' acceptance or ignorance of the whole population... and so on with many ongoing deceptions of the people.... which obviously is still going on ....
by large and small organizations, by the government, and by all the corporations "for profit" ....

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
this ? >

the so-called

the major newspapers
by who? I don't know specifically, only they also heavily spun and censored for what was allowed and what was not allowed,
no one would have started drinking "altered" products that caused a lot of disease (according to the licensed ama doctors) ,
nor would anyone have thought immunizations were a good idea, nor would anyone have been 'brain-washed' to think cigarettes are 'C O O L ' and sophisticated to smoke, nor would alcohol have been promoted so much without many more warnings, nor would most people have supported any of the wars, not even the big ones, if they new the truth....
nor would the federal reserve system been put in place, at least not so secretly (for its purpose) and not with the 'silent' acceptance or ignorance of the whole population... and so on with many ongoing deceptions of the people.... which obviously is still going on ....
by large and small organizations, by the government, and by all the corporations "for profit" ....

I'm not sure if we are in agreement or not. However, the news media in the USA cares little for facts and/or accuracy. The motivating factor is ad revenue; whether or not the "likes, clicks, advertising, etc" translates into money.
I'm not sure on the number of owners but the monoplolies were largely a result of deregulation from neoliberals beginning in the late 70s and continuing through the Clinton era. the Fairness Doctrine was eliminated as well as ownership rules.
The rhetoric in favor of this was admirable, however what was supposed to take place did not transpire. The deregulation was supposed to spur competition in favor of accuracy and diverse ownership. What took place, was what we see today - a few monopolies just making a buck on whatever is outlandish enough to get the most attention.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi jeff,

You responded to my post:
the major newspapers

Uhhh, no, I don't recall all the major newspapers being bought by one man/ one corporation/ and heavily censored by that man or organization. Yes, Hurst bought up a lot of smaller newspapers, but he didn't get them all and certainly not all of the 'major' newspapers. Gannet owns a lot of newspapers, but none in Illinois, which means he doesn't own the Chicago newspapers. They do own some in Florida, but not the largest, the Miami Herald. Please, and I just covered this with someone else, sweeping generalities are most often never true.

As for the rest of your rant. Sorry, I'm not in agreement with most of it. The reason most people today drink 'altered' products is because of our free market system. Cigarette use and advertising was also driven by that same free market system. The Federal Reserve system had nothing to do with the media. This was a way for the Federal Government to control the flow of money, and while it's certainly not a perfect system, it has worked reasonably well in what it was intended to do. Yes, yes, I understand that it's run by some very rich and very connected people, but that's just the way politics usually goes. No one's going to put your Aunt Sally in charge of the nation's money supply. Financially responsible person that she may be.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Please, and I just covered this with someone else, sweeping generalities are most often never true.
Have you read Galatians "all society is pernicious" ?
And Ephesians "all mankind are subjects of the prince of the powe of the air"/ sons of disobedience (even the elect, the ekklesia, until they are redeemed) ;
and
many other "sweeping generalities"? All mankind is evil, full of wickedness to overflowing, growing more evil every day....
that YHWH declares without change....

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you read Galatians "all society is pernicious" ?
And Ephesians "all mankind are subjects of the prince of the powe of the air"/ sons of disobedience (even the elect, the ekklesia, until they are redeemed) ;
and
many other "sweeping generalities"? All mankind is evil, full of wickedness to overflowing, growing more evil every day....
that YHWH declares without change....

Hi jeff,

Yes, I've read those passages, I just don't put the onus on the media. As I understand the Scriptures, that's just the general way of mankind. You could close down every newspaper in the world and do away with the Federal Reserve system and you still won't have added one soul to the kingdom of God. So, to me, you now seem to be arguing two different positions.

Yes, this world is ruled by the principality of darkness which is that of Satan. But we find his efforts at work in all aspects of our lives. We are just naturally greedy and wicked people and Satan encourages that in us, while God calls us to repent of such natural desires. It really has little to do with some conspiracy that all of our news media is 'controlled' by one seemingly wicked person or corporation. It has very little do do with the United States decision to create the Federal Reserve system. These are all just symptoms of the greater evil that is within all of us, of which Satan takes full advantage.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fortunately there are now many more choices to getting the "news" than just main stream media. (Which is controlled by a small group). While we might end up with more "fake news" these numerous options to obtaining the news, makes it much harder to control.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Fortunately there are now many more choices to getting the "news" than just main stream media. (Which is controlled by a small group). While we might end up with more "fake news" these numerous options to obtaining the news, makes it much harder to control.
I hope you favor Net Neutrality.

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0