First Presidential debate will be too late: many States will have already started voting!

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Again, Planet America shows how weird things are getting.

this could be very interesting if in fact Biden does poorly in the debate, honestly I think that many people who would vote for him want to see what happens in that debate before they sign off on him.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟215,732.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think President Trump made a good point. The debates have always been viewed in tradition as an opportunity for the nation to see how both candidates can make their case for themselves and against their opponent with each one able to give rebuttals against the other in a real conversation not canned answers dreamed up later by an adviser.

It shows voters the capacity of each one to handle pressure as they would have to do in meetings with world leaders. Why shouldn't the debates therefore at least one of them take place before voting starts.

Some have countered that by saying a person can get their ballot in the mail and hold off on sending it until after the first debate but how many would even do that. Even Hillary Clinton said recently

'Request your ballots and return them as early as you can.'

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
this could be very interesting if in fact Biden does poorly in the debate, honestly I think that many people who would vote for him want to see what happens in that debate before they sign off on him.

You’re a cast iron Trump supporter, why would you know what potential Biden voters are thinking or going to do?

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The debates have always been viewed in tradition as an opportunity for the nation to see how both candidates can make their case for themselves and against their opponent with each one able to give rebuttals against the other in a real conversation not canned answers dreamed up later by an adviser.

Bit like the tradition the Presidents publish their tax information so we see who they have financial ties with.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see how the way that they are going to do mail in voting is even Constitutional as the Constitution requires election day to be the same throughout the country. Mail in voting, as it is being done, makes election day several different days not one day throughout the country. A different day for everyone is not only technically unconstitutional but also completely the opposite of the spirit of the clause. The idea of having one day for elections is so that the people will have the exact same information available to them . If one finds out on Nov.2 that a candidate is not who one thought he/she was when one voted, it is too late to change one's mind. The only way mail in voting could be Constituional is if the ballot were placed in the mail on Nov. 3. not before or after that date.

• Informative
Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟905,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I personally do not find debates valuable. I feel like they only benefit fast talkers and are not a genuine evaluation of a candidate.

This election I doubt many voters are relying on debates anyway. It feels like most have already made up their mind. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't see how the way that they are going to do mail in voting is even Constitutional as the Constitution requires election day to be the same throughout the country. Mail in voting, as it is being done, makes election day several different days not one day throughout the country. A different day for everyone is not only technically unconstitutional but also completely the opposite of the spirit of the clause. The idea of having one day for elections is so that the people will have the exact same information available to them . If one finds out on Nov.2 that a candidate is not who one thought he/she was when one voted, it is too late to change one's mind. The only way mail in voting could be Constituional is if the ballot were placed in the mail on Nov. 3. not before or after that date.

Given that absentee voting has been used since the Civil War, is this an issue you’ve complained about your whole life, or did it only become a problem this election?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟140,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The only way mail in voting could be Constituional is if the ballot were placed in the mail on Nov. 3. not before or after that date.
So all the ballots that have been cast by service members all through our history have been “unconstitutional”?

Uh-huh.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
So all the ballots that have been cast by service members all through our history have been “unconstitutional”?

Uh-huh.

Well, if they voted for a Democrat, then yes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Given that absentee voting has been used since the Civil War, is this an issue you’ve complained about your whole life, or did it only become a problem this election?

My whole life. I even suggested a way for mail in and absentee voting to be Constitutional. Mail in same day voting should not be unconstitutional. As there are two and a half months until the results have to be absolutely verified I don't see that what I am suggesting would be a problem for vote counting. Why would anyone be opposed to that? Unless one thinks their particular candidate would fare worse if more was known about him when the constitution requirements were followed and one's political preferences were more important to one than the Constitution and following the rules it set out.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟140,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
My whole life. I even suggested a way for mail in and absentee voting to be Constitutional. Mail in same day voting should not be unconstitutional. As there are two and a half months until the results have to be absolutely verified I don't see that what I am suggesting would be a problem for vote counting. Why would anyone be opposed to that? Unless one thinks their particular candidate would fare worse if more was known about him when the constitution requirements were followed and one's political preferences were more important to one than the Constitution and following the rules it set out.
Let’s just call it “election month”?

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟141,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Bit like the tradition the Presidents publish their tax information so we see who they have financial ties with.
Yes - that was a thing until recent times. :doh::oldthumbsup: :doh:Trump - the bad Santa gift that keeps on "giving!" :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Uh-huh.
I believe people are being heavily influenced against mail ballot. Because of Trump and possibly their news source. And that why Trump supporters are bickering about how wrong it is.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟141,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I believe people are being heavily influenced against mail ballot. Because of Trump and possibly their news source. And that why Trump supporters are bickering about how wrong it is.
It's horrendous to have a President undermine democracy like this! A properly organised Mail Ballot is a really hard thing to undermine - and it is an awful lot of effort to look up a local deceased person's records, get their social security, fill in their address, get their Mail Ballot, fill it out and mail it off, risk jail time if you get found out when the equivalent Dept of Death Certificates talks to social security, all for just impersonating ONE vote!

Upvote 0