Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A phase 1 clinical trial of an experimental vaccine primed the immune system using a unique approach in order to prevent HIV.

The promising results, announced in February by the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) and Scripps Research, the vaccine showed success in stimulating production of rare immune cells needed to generate antibodies against the fast-mutating virus—and the targeted response was detected in 97 percent of participants who received the vaccine.

“We showed that vaccines can be designed to stimulate rare immune cells with specific properties, and this targeted stimulation can be very efficient in humans,” said William Schief, PhD, a professor and immunologist at Scripps Research and executive director of vaccine design at IAVI’s Neutralizing Antibody Center, whose lab developed the vaccine.

Continued below.
First Human Trial of HIV Vaccine Produced Immune Response in 97% of Volunteers

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,718.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not an admirer of the culture which gave rise to HIV Aids, but with the growing resistance of super bacteria to antibiotics, bolstering our immune system with tailor made vaccines might be the next major tool in the infectious diseases arsenal.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,718.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not interested in getting into a blame game about HIV / AIDS, but it still infects far more homosexual males than any other single category, even if it did start in chimpanzees or monkeys.

U.S. Statistics

Gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men (MSM) are the population most affected by HIV in the U.S. In 2018:
  • MSM accounted for 69% of new HIV diagnoses in the United States and 86% of diagnoses among males.c
  • Black/African American MSM accounted for 25% (9,444) of new HIV diagnoses and 38% of diagnoses among all MSM.
  • Hispanic/Latinod MSM made up 20% (7,653) of new HIV diagnoses.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,718.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How in the world did it take 40 years to develop this, whereas we have a COVID vaccine in about a year? Just wondering.

Is HIV that radically unique or tough to map? Or are they just that different?

I suspect part of the answer to that might be that it was perceived as a "gay" disease and most of the heterosexual politicians and public (myself included) thought that was their problem. It wasn't till movie star Rock Hudson died in the US from HIV / AIDs that research was considerably increased.

And apparently it hasn't been an easy vaccine to develop -

Why Is It So Hard to Make an HIV Vaccine?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not an admirer of the culture which gave rise to HIV Aids, but with the growing resistance of super bacteria to antibiotics, bolstering our immune system with tailor made vaccines might be the next major tool in the infectious diseases arsenal.
Please remember that in much of the world AIDS in not a gay disease, and many African countries have been hit much worse than the US.

Upvote 0

apogee

Oct 9, 2004
✟41,941.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not interested in getting into a blame game about HIV / AIDS, but it still infects far more homosexual males than any other single category, even if it did start in chimpanzees or monkeys.

U.S. Statistics

I’m not interested in getting into a blame game about HIV / AIDS either, but if you are going to attribute blame to a population of sufferers, expect to be challenged.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,718.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Then I'll reiterate the second part of my post - "... with the growing resistance of super bacteria to antibiotics, bolstering our immune system with tailor made vaccines might be the next major tool in the infectious diseases arsenal."

• Agree
Reactions: apogee
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then I'll reiterate the second part of my post - "... with the growing resistance of super bacteria to antibiotics, bolstering our immune system with tailor made vaccines might be the next major tool in the infectious diseases arsenal."
Off topic.
HIV is a Virus, (that's what the "V" stands for) not a bacteria.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not an admirer of the culture which gave rise to HIV Aids

So since Homosexual Females are far and away the group with the Least risk, does that mean you're an admirer of that culture?

Upvote 0