up there
✟306,393.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I take that point, very seriously, however in light of the tragic events in New Zealand this month, we should remember that it is not simply Christian who have been slaughtered for their religious position.
I quietly await the day when the Muslim community plasters the headlines with remorse for the violent actions of their own people and condemn their fundamentalists as do Christians when the occasion arises. As soon as one side gets to play the victim card, all else is lost and the tides have turned.

Upvote 0

cuplet

Mar 8, 2012
✟15,152.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm thinking about our Law in Caada, called M103. It basically forbids us, up in CANADA, to critique, challenge,comment on interfaIth, and guess what? It was introduced by a Muslim female Member of Parliament, and approved by the Prime Minister. Political Correctness gone haywire.

Upvote 0

danielmears

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2018
Phelan
✟132,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you make the point well, save I think we (as in Both the USA and Australia) are not so much secular democracies as Secular/Pluralist Democracies. People are free to follow the faith of their conviction or to derive their understanding of what is right from whatever source the choose. The social contract implied in this is that our freedoms should not impinge on the freedoms of others. The foundation of the position held by those who went before us was largely in the Judeo/Christian Tradition, and the is a lasting legacy from that.

I take that point, very seriously, however in light of the tragic events in New Zealand this month, we should remember that it is not simply Christian who have been slaughtered for their religious position.
Very true, it is absolutely tragic that anyone should be victimized for what they believe or don't believe.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that a Muslim being offended by a Christian prayer shouldn't be presented at all (i.e., Muslims being offended by stuff isn't actually news), and if it must be then it should be put in proper context where it is shown that what the Muslims are offended by is something that they are also doing in the very same venue.

As it is, it reads like "Christian picks on Muslim lady by 'weaponizing' a prayer" (which isn't even wrong; again, I have a hard time believing that this was unintentional), when a more realistic report would be "Christians and Muslims shamefully use a government swearing in ceremony to take theological digs at each other's religions".

I don't really think that involves deep exegesis of the Qur'an or anything. It would take one sentence to say that the Muslim prayer which was read is traditionally understood to refer to Christians as 'those who have gone astray' and to Jews as 'those who have drawn God's anger'. (See, I just did it myself in one sentence.)

The way it is presented is dishonest and arguably framed in an infantilizing manner that makes everyone look like idiots, albeit for different reasons. I'm only suggesting that they should be made to look like idiots for the same reason, since they're both doing the same thing (whether the representative is aware of that or not).

So what you want is for the media to give us more religious education?

Upvote 0

cuplet

Mar 8, 2012
✟15,152.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you. This is a world turned upside down. My Pastor, (Pentecostal) said,a few years back, that "We live in an ABC world. "Anything but Christ." He meant that it's very sad. Also, when the shoe is on the other foot........
And obviously,that was his point. Christians should NEVER be silenced or apologize for our Faith. As a Born Again Christian(,Pentecostal) I say Jesus is God. No apologies. We live in a world turned upside-down. In Canada, it seems that every Faith is encouraged,except Christianity. My Pastor meant that we have to stand up. Of course, I understand that this is a multicultural society, and I respect that. But we don't have to always apologize for our Faith and Prayers. I just refer to Canada. Every year, we get silenced about Christmas, and Easter. Live,and let live. But my rights as a Christian shouldn't be silenced, in the Name of political correctness and diversity. Christians should be welcome to say " Jesus is Lord", without being accused of intolerance. As I mentioned, we have a new Law in Canada, called M103, that basically means you are not allowed to question, openly disagree, with the tenets of another Faith. You can't comment. It was a Muslim Member of Parliament (female) who proposed it, and our Prime Minister approved of it. Technically try also can't challenge Christians, but we all know the drill !

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I mentioned, we have a new Law in Canada, called M103, that basically means you are not allowed to question, openly disagree, with the tenets of another Faith. You can't comment. It was a Muslim Member of Parliament (female) who proposed it, and our Prime Minister approved of it. Technically try also can't challenge Christians, but we all know the drill !
Sounds like the blasphemy laws in place in Pakistan.... Wow.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
That is exactly how it is taken by the majority in the Islamic community. I have been studying Islam for 30+ years, I have visited several majority Muslim countries, lived in one, and I'm currently a missionary who works among Muslims. I know Muslims on four continents and I interact with Muslims every time I walk out my front door. I can say with confidence that the al Fatiha is not intended to be offensive to Christians and Jews.

Ask yourself this, if this prayer were offensive to Christians as you believe it is, how has this prayer been allowed to be recited in predominantly Christian countries all over the world in all types of settings for as long as it has? Why hasn't someone figured this out yet and put a stop to it being recited, especially in government institutions or state sponsored events? Is it possible that your interpretation is incorrect?

Thank you for a very different perspective. It confirms why I don't find this prayer offensive. I actually find it dignified in its own right. I have heard equally inspiring Hindu prayers. Why being a Christian has to involve denigrating how other people pray, I don't know.

This is not me being a political correct liberal quisling. This is me being a follower of Jesus. It's better to build bridges than to burn them, and life is better when your heart is lighter and free of bitterness.

Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I am afraid Culpet is stirring up half truths. M103 is a non-binding resolution asking the Canadian government to work to quell the atmosphere of fear and hate towards Muslims. Not inconsequential considering that a terrorist attacked a mosque there in Montreal.

Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So what you want is for the media to give us more religious education?

If the media is going to wade into religious issues (or create them out of nothing...), then they should be religiously educated. It is often said by those who work in media that most modern western media outlets simply don't know what to do with religion:
Can the secular media ever understand religion? Why it's harder than it looks

The media's trouble with religion | Alan Wilson

https://jewishjournal.com/columnist/293053/does-the-media-have-a-problem-with-religion/

Religious illiteracy is a huge problem in the United States and around the wider western world, and creates situations like the one we are seeing here.

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Had some good conversations with my Muslim co-workers from Indonesia and the Philippines the other day about balot and durian. Two of my favorite people. Not my two favorite foods! Balot and durian, that is. But c'mon, everyone knows you haven't experienced a culture until you've eaten all the craziest foods that culture has to offer!

Anyways, my co-workers say their Muslim prayers five times a day. Good for them. I admire the strength of their belief.

During group gatherings, sometimes we have an invocation. Usually it's a Christian praying to God and asking for his blessing for our group and our meal. My co-workers bow their heads respectfully. If a Muslim says a prayer to God asking for his blessing, I bow my head respectfully. I am grateful that they are asking for a blessing for me. I would never get mad at somebody wishing me a happy eid or happy Chanukah or whatever. That's like somebody wishing you well, and you turning around and spitting in their face. At the same time, I would never say a prayer that emphasizes our differences or attempts to exclude my Muslim brothers. Wouldn’t that be the exact opposite of the purpose of prayer (bringing us together in God’s name?)

Then we all go on with our business as usual and eat and talk about our kids and cooking spiders and stuff.

Just my 2 shillings

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cuplet

Mar 8, 2012
✟15,152.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Because it's not free and open due to this 'Islamophobia' meme/parasite that has infected the brains of the loudest idiots in the political sphere of the West. Redefine that properly (because, yes, Muslims have been and are specifically targeted in some cases purely because they are Muslim; we have seen that) and then we will have the level playing field we must have to show Islamists and Islam the door -- which won't mean Islam will be illegal (again, that's wrong and there won't be a reason for it), but will mean that the Muslims will understand that they are but one part of the multi-religious West, with no hope of taking it over or ruling it no matter what their book, prophet, traditions, or false god have to say about the matter.

Right now, the West is being held hostage by this idea that criticizing Islam or the actions of Muslims is racial hatred towards people (because of course Muslims and only Muslims are poor, oppressed arch-brown people :rolleyes:...Copts, Syriacs, Tewahedo Orthodox, the Christian Dinka and Neur who just fought for something like 50 years for the independence of South Sudan, the mixed Nubian-Coptic population in Sudan and Upper Egypt...none of these people exist), because of course there is such racial hatred as we've seen in NZ and elsewhere. So those who would criticize Islam are now on thin ice, socially and in some places legally (e.g., UK and other places where hurting someone's feelings can land you in jail), but it's still something that must be done.

As someone who worships with actual brown and black people from Africa by choice as often as I possibly can, I see through this equivocation (I learned very early on in my journey to Orthodoxy that you don't ask Coptic people about Islam or its conquest of their country unless you want a very long and very angry diatribe), but I also see why it's there, and it's not because of the informed criticism of the religion and its principles by people who have been oppressed by it for 14 centuries and counting. It's just that the West is full of useful idiots who can't or don't want to tell the difference between someone yelling at a woman in front of them in line at Starbucks for wearing a hijab and people protesting the fact that back in their homeland their 16 year old cousin was just kidnapped and forced to convert to Islam and raped by her new Muslim 'husband', producing automatically Muslim offspring. That happens too, and what is anyone supposed to say if it's 'Islamophobia' to tie it to Islam when the perpetrators themselves do so, by their religion's allowance of both wives and 'what their right hand possesses' (slave girls and war captives, as in Muhammad's example with Maria al-Qibtiya, who was a 'gift' to him from the Egyptian governor Moqawqis)? We didn't make it be this way, yet we can't say anything about it because it's 'racist'?

So that all needs to go away, and Islam needs to be criticized just as every other religion is. It's the only way to defuse the superiority complex that drives terrorism from Muslims (the Qur'an says they are the best people ever created, while non-Muslims like you and me are "the worst of creatures" and destined for hell -- 3:110 and 98:6, respectively).

</rant> (sorry)
I thank you very much. I wrote earlier that Canada has moved in the same direction, whereby or is now basically a crime to "criticize" and religious theology and practice. It covers every religion, but it was introduced by a Muslim female Member of Parliament, and the Prime Minister of Canada approved of it. This happened last year. Hypothetically It covers every religion, but the original idea was to protect Muslims from Isalamophobia. We still think it caters to Muslims, but in order to say that's not the case, they changed the wording to cover Jews, Christians, and everyone. But the underlying intent is to prevent people from saying anything about Islam. ( Mr. Trudeau just changed the wording to "cover everyone. Why does this matter ? It matters, because it means Canadians are not not allowed to critique, question, disagree ,or basically comment on anything religious. We could be charged with racism and or Islamophobia, for even expressing mild disagreement. We all have to pretend. We have to be careful,whenever we attempt to discuss the Gospel,the Holy Bible. The law is called.M103, designed to protect Muslims. It's extended to all Faiths, now, so that no one can single out Muslims as "playing the card."

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Had some good conversations with my Muslim co-workers from Indonesia and the Philippines the other day about balot and durian. Two of my favorite people. Not my two favorite foods! Balot and durian, that is. But c'mon, everyone knows you haven't experienced a culture until you've eaten all the craziest foods that culture has to offer!

Anyways, my co-workers say their Muslim prayers five times a day. Good for them. I admire the strength of their belief.

During group gatherings, sometimes we have an invocation. Usually it's a Christian praying to God and asking for his blessing for our group and our meal. My co-workers bow their heads respectfully. If a Muslim says a prayer to God asking for his blessing, I bow my head respectfully. I am grateful that they are asking for a blessing for me. I would never get mad at somebody wishing me a happy eid or happy Chanukah or whatever. That's like somebody wishing you well, and you turning around and spitting in their face. At the same time, I would never say a prayer that emphasizes our differences or attempts to exclude my Muslim brothers. Wouldn’t that be the exact opposite of the purpose of prayer (bringing us together in God’s name?)

Then we all go on with our business as usual and eat and talk about our kids and cooking spiders and stuff.

Just my 2 shillings

This is all good stuff, and I think in a lot of the world this is how it goes. It reminds me of a few weeks ago when I was trying a local laundromat because the machines at my apartment were out of order. I'd never been to this particular one, and it was run by an obviously Muslim man from India (I could tell from his dress and the fact that he injected Arabic phrases into his native language when he was talking on the phone). I was the only customer in the place at the time, so we got to talking and he was a very nice guy, talked about how he was sad at that time because his friend had just passed the other day, and now to comfort himself he has only his memories of taking his friend (who was elderly) to church every Sunday. I offered my condolences, he said thank you, we shook hands, and he said "Excuse me; I have to go pray. I will see you later, friend." :) A perfectly fine and gentle man, obviously with a good heart. Again, most Muslims are so much nicer than the 'sharper' edges of their religion would have you believe, if you only ever read their religious texts. Thank God they are not "People of the Book" in the sense of following their sources with exactness or harshness!

They might consider it blasphemy, but I would say that Muslims are better than their religion and god.

• Agree
Reactions: cuplet
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do you think MS. Borowicz would have reacted if MS Harrell would have used an Islamic prayer stating all would submit to the teaching of Muhammad to open a session? Most likely the same.
The good news is that there is absolutely nothing stopping that from happening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't think taqiyya is nearly as prevalent as many non-Muslims seem to think it is, as there are specific aspects of it that don't really fit many of the situations in which it is assumed to be happening. The take home point is "Stop calling everything taqiyya, because it probably isn't that",

How would you know? And what if it is?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
How would you know?

I'm not saying that I do, I'm saying that I don't think it is, and my reason for thinking that is the reasoned explanations of people like the Iraqi atheist at that link, Hashim Almadani who actually come from Islamic societies (and, significantly in his case, Shi'ite Islamic societies) and talk about the roots and application of the concept.

And what if it is?

Then I'm wrong and people like Mr. Almadani are wrong. But I'd still trust him and the Middle Eastern people I actually know (including other Iraqis) to be telling the truth, since they're mostly Christians so it's not their doctrine to attempt to hide or justify in the first place.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christian faith being shown by Christians in prayer is offensive and needs to be silenced? Belief in Christ as God is a "weapon"? Wow.
Muslims are vehemently monotheistic and cannot reconcile the trinity or the incarnation in a monotheistic space. To hear someone operating in the capacity of the government, that she is a part of, saying "at the name of Jesus every knee will bow." would feel like an imperative attack on her beliefs and highly blasphemous because only Allah is bowed down to and no other. It's not the belief that Christ is God that feels weaponized it's the implicit command that all must bow down to him and carrying the resources and ambition of America with it. I'm sure she could yell out her own imperatives that a Muslim audience would applaud but would be immediately attacked in this space not to mention highly inappropriate. The US needs to figure out if they are missionally driven or if they are politically driven because faith used to advance the latter is indeed a weapon.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟229,445.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It has nothing to do with your credentials as far as living among Muslims is concerned. I also live among them. One of my neighbors in this apartment complex two doors down is a Muslim, for instance, and one of my city's main mosques (there are over a dozen, as it's a major city) is less than four miles away from me.
When I say live among them, I mean like in the 80's I lived in a country that was more than 90% Muslim and here in Davao for well over five years I was the only Christian living in the apartment building with three mosques within sight of my balcony. My regular travels take me to islands where the Muslim population is also more than 90%.

The problem is in your thinking, which is apparently "It's not intended to be offensive -- therefore it shouldn't be taken as offensive/isn't actually offensive". Not only do you not get to decide for others what is offensive based on your own work or understanding or whatever,
I'm relaying what I have witnessed in my 30+ years of traveling and studying Islam. I have met Muslims in several countries and from all kinds of backgrounds. Most Muslims I have encountered in my lifetime, and it's a lot, don't view the al Fatiha in the same way you do. That tells me that those who see it as condemning Christians and Jews is quite small and not representative as the majority.

The same thing that you are saying could be said about the prayer given by the GOP representative with regard to Islam: That every person shall recognize Christ eventually is not an insult to those who do not do so now, yet some (like this Muslim representative) take it to be so.

Would you then say that this representative or any other Muslim ought not be offended by it on that account? Something tells me you wouldn't, but I hope I'm wrong.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I felt the prayer by the GOP representative was inappropriate. Mentioning President Trump and Israel, two divisive issues in the US among Muslims and non-Muslims alike, in her prayer wasn't necessary. She should have went with a less divisive, non-denominational prayer like countless Christian representatives have done before her.

Again, it's not my interpretation -- it's the interpretation of classical commentators like ibn Kathir and al Tabari, who are major mainstream Sunni sources for the interpretation of the Qur'an.
Two commentaries out of how many?

As for "Why hasn't anyone figured this out yet?" or "Why has this been allowed for so long?", I think the answers are obvious:

1) Most non-Muslims haven't read the Muslim sources like the tafsir, the hadith, or even the Qur'an

2) Christian-majority countries are generally societies that can handle disagreement and insult without crying about it like a bunch of babies, and believe that it is better to allow offense if it preserves freedom of religion and thought (for the religious and the non-religious alike) than to squash it in the name of preserving others' feelings. Or at least it has been for the majority of my life (it seems like this has changed with regard to Islam specifically in the wake of 9/11, as we really don't want to be seen as "racist" and to idiots who likely don't know any Muslim, "Muslim" is a race)
Common sense tells us that if this Muslim prayer was offensive or was intended to be, it would have become an issue after all this time.

In reality, if the Islamic people and their religious leaders really cared so much about the feelings of anyone but Muslims, they would be issuing major apologies to all non-Muslims for the present and historical injustices they have done in the name of their God-cursed religion of falsehood.
I quietly await the day when the Muslim community plasters the headlines with remorse for the violent actions of their own people and condemn their fundamentalists as do Christians when the occasion arises. As soon as one side gets to play the victim card, all else is lost and the tides have turned.
They have been doing this for quite some time: Muslims Condemn

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I would appreciate it if you did not mix my reply with that of another poster who is making his own point, Joseph Z.

When I say live among them, I mean like in the 80's I lived in a country that was more than 90% Muslim and here in Davao for well over five years I was the only Christian living in the apartment building with three mosques within sight of my balcony. My regular travels take me to islands where the Muslim population is also more than 90%.

Again, the problem is not your credentials with regard to living among Muslims. This has nothing to do with anything.

I'm relaying what I have witnessed in my 30+ years of traveling and studying Islam.

And I am relaying the viewpoints of people whose communities have lived under Islam for 14 centuries and counting in Egypt, Sudan, Libya, Iraq, etc., and who themselves lived under it for their entire lives (were born as second class citizens under it, in fact) before coming to the United States. In some cases, my first time meeting some members of the community were people who had just arrived from the Gulf states the day before my meeting them, in other cases they were temporary residents in the USA on student or work visas, etc, I think they knew quite enough about what life is like with Islam and among Muslims.

I have met Muslims in several countries and from all kinds of backgrounds.

Same here.

Most Muslims I have encountered in my lifetime, and it's a lot, don't view the al Fatiha in the same way you do. That tells me that those who see it as condemning Christians and Jews is quite small and not representative as the majority.

And that does what to the traditional interpretation? And that does what for the people who do view it that way? And that does what for the actual text as written and understood by the earliest Muslim generations? It seems as though you are trying to say "I know lots of Muslims, and they don't agree so you're wrong"...well, everyone I know knows more Muslims than you do, and they do not say that it is some tiny number who view it that way, so why the heck should I believe you and not the people from my own Church who actually come from the Middle East where they are the native people there, rather than being missionaries with their own agendas?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I felt the prayer by the GOP representative was inappropriate.

In case you didn't notice, I agreed that it was inappropriate, and the my point was not whether or not anyone would see the prayer itself as appropriate, but that the very same logic you have used to try to claim that al-Fatiha is not offensive can be used to explain away the 'offensiveness' of the "every knee shall bow" portion of the prayer which was objected to on theological grounds by the Muslim. After all, I don't find that portion offensive, and most Christians don't find it offensive and don't interpret it as being explicitly anti-Muslim, so why should any Muslim be offended by it?

See? That's a lousy defense, and that's what your attempt to 'educate' me about al-Fatiha comes off like. Cut it out. I'm not falling for it just because you've lived in Islamic countries, as though that has anything to do with anything to begin with.

Mentioning President Trump and Israel, two divisive issues in the US among Muslims and non-Muslims alike, in her prayer wasn't necessary.

Again, I agree and that's not the part of the prayer that I've ever mentioned in this thread.

She should have went with a less divisive, non-denominational prayer like countless Christian representatives have done before her.

Yeah, and where's the "less divisive, non-denominational" form of Surat al-Fatiha? Oh, that's right...there isn't one, despite your assurances.

Two commentaries out of how many?

Two commentaries of what weight? This is like saying "You only went to St. Athanasius and St. Cyril to explain the incarnation." :rolleyes: Also, how many more would you need, really? We can go top shelf to bottom, but that's not what this is really about anyway.

Common sense tells us that if this Muslim prayer was offensive or was intended to be, it would have become an issue after all this time.

What on earth are you talking about? It always has been! Read some classical Christian sources. Mor Bar Salibi tackles it in his Response to the Arabs, pointing out that it makes no sense to say that the Christians were led astray on one hand and acknowledging on another (as is found in other places in early Islamic writings) that the apostles were aided directly by the power given to them of God to banish Satan, because this leaves the only source of deception to be God Himself -- so that essentially 'God' is wrathful towards the Christians for something that he himself has done/caused to happen. That's a pretty stupid God the Muslims have, basically. And again, this was in the 12th century, and is far from the earliest such work we have. (See also St. John of Damascus, Abu Raita El Tikriti, etc.)

Your not having heard of it before doesn't mean that this wasn't a fairly standard approach to Islam among those who were first encountering the Qur'an, although they weren't all as methodical or detailed as Mor Bar Salibi was. (John of Damascus, for instance, doesn't go through as much of the text itself, probably because it was less firmly set in his day than it would've been by Mor Bar Salibi's day.)

They have been doing this for quite some time: Muslims Condemn

Yeah...they condemn terrorism now, but how does this add up to apologies for the historical rape and pillaging of Egypt, Sudan, Libya, Syria, Mesopotamia, etc. as demanded by Fr. Zakariya? It doesn't. Muslims won't apologize for any of that, because of course in the version of history they are fed by their leaders, it is good that all of those things happened. They are not prompted to self-reflection, as the west (rightly) is in the wake of horrible atrocities like the NZ mosque shootings, because of course you cannot mess with certain facts of Islamic history without getting in trouble for causing 'offense' to Islam and Muslims.

Here's a Muslim author, Fatima Naoout, to explain it, so that I'm not accused of simply presenting my own view:

Bottom line: You can spend as much time among Muslims as you want, and you can live in 'their' countries and all this, but you cannot make the history that they refuse to face anything other than what it is (and no Muslim who doesn't want to risk his own skin says that the conquests or raids were a bad thing/a thing to be apologized for), and you cannot make their anti-Christian/anti-Jewish texts other than what they are.

Upvote 0