Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There is a topic sprouting in the HOW design forum about giving money for a kid after their first communion. Instinctively I feel this is a RCC behavior. To me, being able to partake in communion should be "gift" enough. Is giving monetary gifts something that is traditionally done for Lutherans? I don't know because I didn't grow up in the church (well church, just not a Lutheran one) but I've only seen confirmations and then they just go up to the rail just like everyone else and it doesn't seem to be a big ordeal.

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't think confirmation / first communion gifts are inappropriate. It's a big deal, and a great occasion to celebrate. I think something like a new bible, or a TDP or something like that would be especially appropriate.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, I would agree that toys or PSPs or things like that are not really appropriate, but in a way it is similar to 8th grade graduation - as far as it being a rite of passage goes, and a card with a little cash in it is always appreciated.

Upvote 0

RobsBabe

Mar 20, 2008
Tornado Alley
✟15,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I went to my friend's daughter's confirmation, and I got her a great little book called, "Creed" along with a plaque with a cross and a verse on it, plus a confirmation card. The only money she got was from people who didn't make it to her confirmation party after church. Everyone else gave appropriate Christian gifts, EVEN the non-Christians there.

Incidentally, it was this party that made my plans to join the Lutheran church come to a screeching halt. One of these days I may ask about it.

Anyway, when my children were baptized some years ago at ages 6, 7, and 8 (they're stairstep kids) they received no gifts or cards. I took people out to eat afterward, but that was it and that was fine. They were baptized on Christmas Day, which got various reactions. But I think gifts that lead people closer to Christ is a good thing. My $.02

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It has been our tradition for god parents and those who are close the the confirmand to give a devotional gift. These could be an inscribed Hymnal, a Bible, a cross, crucifix, or other devotional picture/icon to hang on the wall. My daughter had lots of Catholic friends, so she got lots of Confirmation/first Communion nick knacks from them. Her aunt did a very large framed embroidered picture of Drurer's praying hands and a dove with the date, her name, and her Confirmation verse as well.

Treasury of Daily Prayer, Book of Concord, Lutheran Study Bible would also be wonderful and appropriate gifts.

Gifts of this nature also show support and encouragement for the newly confirmed to continue their growth faith.

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me if iam wrong here but isn't both the same thing except to be confirmed in the lutheran church allows you to recieve communion, but at a later age in life? and to make your communion in the RCC allow you to recieve communion also? But in a earlier age in life, or am i all wrong?

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Typically confirmation is in 8th grade unless you weren't raised in a Lutheran church. In some LCMS you don't need to be anything but baptized and believe in Real Presence to partake of communion. Since I wasn't baptized and not completely familiar with beliefs, I went through the adult information class which really is a very broad summary of what the Lutheran church is and then I was baptized, became a member, and then started to partake. My husband and brother were just baptized and then started to partake.

Technically in the RCC you are supposed to be a member of the RCC to partake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well then basically they are the same thing except done at a different age in life? the actually act of making confirmation or communion? You do not need to be a member of a Lutheran church to make your confirmation?

Typically confirmation is in 8th grade unless you weren't raised in a Lutheran church. In some LCMS you don't need to be anything but baptized and believe in Real Presence to partake of communion. Since I wasn't baptized and not completely familiar with beliefs, I went through the adult information class which really is a very broad summary of what the Lutheran church is and then I was baptized, became a member, and then started to partake. My husband and brother were just baptized and then started to partake.

Technically in the RCC you are supposed to be a member of the RCC to partake.

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me if iam wrong here but isn't both the same thing except to be confirmed in the lutheran church allows you to recieve communion, but at a later age in life? and to make your communion in the RCC allow you to recieve communion also? But in a earlier age in life, or am i all wrong?

No, they aren't the same at all.

In practice they got historically linked but there never was any doctrinal reason to do so.

It seems to harken back to the concern that the person understood communion before communing.

Well the period when the person would be taught about communion and the pastor would know the person understood and such was confirmation so it became the practice in many places to give communion after confirmation. Communion is still often referred to as reading for the minister in my Norwegian tradition. It's why everyone in Norway could read at the time of the Civil War in America.

If the pastor would have taken the time to teach younger people about communion of if he was satisfied that they knew and understood what was going on he was free to commune them at much earlier ages. Guess one thing that hasn't changed is ministers still tend to have more to do than time to do it. So one could argue that linking communion with confirmation was basically the result of laziness.

Now you see many congregations getting away from that and giving communion earlier. Most that are doing it are actually being pretty good about educating the children, the sloppiness that is common often comes later. With many congregations being pretty careful before letting a 10 year old commune but some 30 year old without a clue wanders in and they commune him in many cases without question.

Some people think communing early is some sort of abuse or something because that isn't what they are used to, or they for some reason think it's the same in Lutheranism as Catholicism.

For some reason many people seem to think Lutheranism is simply Catholicism without the Pope or the cult of the Saints.

Confirmation is not a sacrament, though it is of course difficult to see how a person could go through a couple of years of studying God's Word without benefit. It was retained as a useful thing. In some Catholic churches the important thing about confirmation is the rite with the Bishop, the education is very poor, or not emphasized at all. With Lutherans it is the education that is important, while the confirmation ceremony has some cultural significance and is used to some degree in congregational government, there is no great importance.

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Morning,
No, they aren't the same at all.

In practice they got historically linked but there never was any doctrinal reason to do so.

It seems to harken back to the concern that the person understood communion before communing.

Well the period when the person would be taught about communion and the pastor would know the person understood and such was confirmation so it became the practice in many places to give communion after confirmation. Communion is still often referred to as reading for the minister in my Norwegian tradition. It's why everyone in Norway could read at the time of the Civil War in America.

If the pastor would have taken the time to teach younger people about communion of if he was satisfied that they knew and understood what was going on he was free to commune them at much earlier ages. Guess one thing that hasn't changed is ministers still tend to have more to do than time to do it. So one could argue that linking communion with confirmation was basically the result of laziness.

Now you see many congregations getting away from that and giving communion earlier. Most that are doing it are actually being pretty good about educating the children, the sloppiness that is common often comes later. With many congregations being pretty careful before letting a 10 year old commune but some 30 year old without a clue wanders in and they commune him in many cases without question.
if i am understanding you correctly, then i agree with this statement, yes we do in (all)(saying this because WE cannot know what is in the hearts of man thats only up to God) churches have people recieving communion without any thought of what it really means, no matter what the age, i think at times my 12 yr old can understand it better then my 72 yr old mother.
Some people think communing early is some sort of abuse or something because that isn't what they are used to, or they for some reason think it's the same in Lutheranism as Catholicism.

For some reason many people seem to think Lutheranism is simply Catholicism without the Pope or the cult of the Saints.

Confirmation is not a sacrament, though it is of course difficult to see how a person could go through a couple of years of studying God's Word without benefit. It was retained as a useful thing. In some Catholic churches the important thing about confirmation is the rite with the Bishop, the education is very poor, or not emphasized at all. With Lutherans it is the education that is important, while the confirmation ceremony(this is where i am lost, why the ceremony?) has some cultural significance and is used to some degree in congregational government, there is no great importance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
88,2 % of Finland's fifteen-year-olds attend confirmation training, and Confirmation gifts are definitely "the thing" in Finland. A silver or gold cross is the #1 gift, either given by the parents or the godparents. Jewelry -- necklaces, earrings, bracelets for girls, cuff links and tiepins for boys -- are always popular. Flowers, money and gift cards are considered "safe" choices for more distant relatives.

Since the legal driving age is eighteen, Finnish kids don't get cars (cars are for graduation gifts...) -- they get scooters (very popular right now!) and motorbikes. :D

At the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland, all baptized Lutherans may partake of the Holy Communion. Children may take Communion together with their parents (or godparents). All who are already confirmed may take Communion independently. Thus, Confirmation "earns" you the right to independently partake of the Holy Communion, but also, for instance, the right to be a godparent and the licence to marry in a Church Wedding.

Communion is still often referred to as reading for the minister in my Norwegian tradition. It's why everyone in Norway could read at the time of the Civil War in America.

Indeed, the requirement to be confirmed and be able to partake Communion was the demonstrated ability to read & write. Those "readings" were called lukukinkerit/läsförhör. Since the requirement for marriage (and those marital "privileges"!) was Confirmation, it was really a strong incentive to civilize yourself. A civilized and educated populace, then, is the basis for a strong democracy. So the Lutheran churches were instrumental in making the Nordic nations these model democracies they are today!

Upvote 0