Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
GreenEyedLady said:
Does a child at First Communion recieve both the wine and the bread or just the bread at First Communion? I cannot remember.
Yes, (both speices) at least in my parish. They probably do everywhere receive under both speicies the first time.
Does this age for recieving the wine differ in other parishes?
The age of First Communion is generally the same.
Do you have to have confession before the First Communion.
Yes.

Michelle

Upvote 0

bostonlass

sweet caroline ;)
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟6,873.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
GreenEyedLady said:
Does a child at First Communion recieve both the wine and the bread or just the bread at First Communion? I cannot remember.

Thanks
GEL

I'm not sure about the wine question since I have never been to a church that offers wine to the whole congregation.....I see the eucharistic ministers drink the wine but it's never brought out for us, just the eucharist. Maybe it's different depending on the parish or something. My mother told me they used to do it around here but that it stopped when people became concerned with germs being passed via the chalice.

Both my daughters received the sacrament of reconciliation before receiving the sacrament of the eucharist, but when i was growing up, it was the other way around. If I remember correctly, I received communion in second grade and penance in fourth. I guess they changed it since it's now the other way around, though both, in my area, are done in second grade.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
ShannonMcCatholic said:
My son received only under the apperance of bread. He is 7 1/2. The age is typically between 7-8 years old- no matter what species Communion is received under. Confession is a MUST before First Holy Communion! (And hopefully will continue regularly afterwards!)
ah...good to know this. Thanks for correcting, I just made an assumption. :)

Michelle

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
GreenEyedLady said:
Does a child at First Communion recieve both the wine and the bread or just the bread at First Communion?

It depends on the parish. Sometimes children receive both the Host and from the Chalice, sometimes just the Host.

I cannot remember.

The age for first communion is generally 2nd or 3rd grade. Not all parishes make the Precious Blood available to the entire congregation regularly.

Thanks
GEL

Yup. We must be in a state of grace to receive Jesus. Although I don't think it possible for a 7 year old to commit mortal sin, it is still good for them to begin to confess venial sins and receive Jesus' healing graces.

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
sweetcaroline said:
but when i was growing up, it was the other way around. If I remember correctly, I received communion in second grade and penance in fourth. I guess they changed it since it's now the other way around, though both, in my area, are done in second grade.

This is how it went for me. Communion, penance, then we could drink from the cup in 4th grade. My husband seems to remember his differantly. So, i am assumming this is different for each parish.

GEL

Upvote 0
L

ladybug01

GreenEyedLady said:

Thanks
GEL

It's not bread. It's not wine.

Yes, they have to go to Confession before receiving the Body and Blood of Christ as they, and all Catholics, must be free from all sin in order to receive.

Upvote 0

bostonlass

sweet caroline ;)
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟6,873.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
GreenEyedLady said:
This is how it went for me. Communion, penance, then we could drink from the cup in 4th grade. My husband seems to remember his differantly. So, i am assumming this is different for each parish.

GEL

That's how it was for me too. I don't know when they changed it so that one must receive penance before communion, but I do remember getting my first communion before receiving the sacrament of penance. I guess it makes sense since even a 7 year old can commit sin. Of course once the sacrament of reconciliation has been received, one should always go to confession before receiving communion if there's a sin that has been comitted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
sweetcaroline said:
That's how it was for me too. I don't know when they changed it so that one must receive penance before communion, but I do remember getting my first communion before receiving the sacrament of penance. I guess it makes sense since even a 7 year old can commit sin. Of course once the sacrament of reconciliation has been received, one should always go to confession before receiving communion if there's a sin that has been comitted.

Yes i do also wonder when the changed it. I remember when I did go through communion that the nuns and other parishoners were not allowed back then to pass it out. The nun's could pass out the wine, but never the bread.
It would make more sence to have penence before communion than what you and I experienced. Ohhhhhhhhh I remember that first penence, my knees were a knockin!
GEL

Upvote 0

bostonlass

sweet caroline ;)
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟6,873.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
GreenEyedLady said:
Yes i do also wonder when the changed it. I remember when I did go through communion that the nuns and other parishoners were not allowed back then to pass it out. The nun's could pass out the wine, but never the bread.
It would make more sence to have penence before communion than what you and I experienced. Ohhhhhhhhh I remember that first penence, my knees were a knockin!
GEL

Mine were too but not just for the act of penance itself but the fact that we had to stand in line at the front of the altar for all the world (or the world who was inside our church at the time) to see, then we knelt in front of everyone and received the sacrament of reconciliation. Of course we spoke low so that hopefully no one saw but it was one of the most embarassing and humbling moments of my life!!!!

This year and last when my daughters did their first confession they did it in the confessional booth. Kids have it so easy these days!!

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Lorain, Ohio about 30 miles west of Cleveland on L
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ladybug01 said:
It's not bread. It's not wine.

Yes, they have to go to Confession before receiving the Body and Blood of Christ as they, and all Catholics, must be free from all sin in order to receive.
i knew someone was going to say this!! and while i totally agree and i wish so very much that we were all so aware that it would become a part of our life and vocab. i wish we could find gentle ways to bring this up. This post wasn't bad -- a few days ago i read one which seemed very insulting.

personally i never eat bread or drink wine in Holy Mother Church. I am super aware that it is JESUS!! How can we gently make that the norm for all Catholics?

Upvote 0

Markh

Extra Mariam Nulla Salus
Dec 12, 2003
London
Visit site
✟11,544.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree, why do people (including myself ) always beat around the bush saying

"species" and "cup" and "host"

just say BODY and BLOOD or "the host, which is Christ's body" or "Body, under the appearence of"

It is frustrating how at Mass the priests also use "host" and "bread of life" just say "blood, blood, soul and divinity", because of these metaphors already un-educated Catholics assume "this is my body" is just symbolism too. At my university, the priest is surprised that so many people think that the only way of getting "the blood" is via the cup- but this is what happens when the liturgy is so ambiguous.

Upvote 0

bostonlass

sweet caroline ;)
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟6,873.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
lonnienord said:
i knew someone was going to say this!! and while i totally agree and i wish so very much that we were all so aware that it would become a part of our life and vocab. i wish we could find gentle ways to bring this up. This post wasn't bad -- a few days ago i read one which seemed very insulting.

personally i never eat bread or drink wine in Holy Mother Church. I am super aware that it is JESUS!! How can we gently make that the norm for all Catholics?

I knew what she meant and I make the same mistake as well, but I think the main question got through just fine. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟14,377.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
GreenEyedLady said:
Ohhhhhhhhh I remember that first penence, my knees were a knockin!
GEL

My wife tells this funny story that is hillarious - but it takes a visual image to really make it funny, but I'll share anyway cause its funny.

My wife was so nervous about her first confession that she forgot to wait for the light on the door to turn green before entering. She so nervous that she went ahead and opened the door to find a a startled and shocked little girl kneeling before the screen. :eek:

It's funnier with the visual.

Anway....my kids had confession and then first communion. My #3 keeps wanting to take both body and blood but turns shy at the last second before receiving the cup. Her enthusiam for confession and Eucharist is very infectous.

Good to see you GEL! :wave:

Upvote 0

Cat59

Just me
Aug 28, 2003
Beautiful Wales
Visit site
✟40,090.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I teach the children in our parish before their first Holy Communion (they made their first confession last month.)
They just receive the Body on that day, but usually in our Parish, the congregation can receive under both kinds.
They were so sweet making their first confession! The most amazing was a young boy with learning difficulties whose family had never thought would understand enough. He did it all perfectly, and his mum, whose not a Catholic, cried her eyes out afterwards. He goes every week to Mass- has done so since he was little- and cannot wait till June, when he can finally receive Jesus!

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
Markh said:
I agree, why do people (including myself ) always beat around the bush saying

"species" and "cup" and "host"

just say BODY and BLOOD or "the host, which is Christ's body" or "Body, under the appearence of"

It is frustrating how at Mass the priests also use "host" and "bread of life" just say "blood, blood, soul and divinity", because of these metaphors already un-educated Catholics assume "this is my body" is just symbolism too. At my university, the priest is surprised that so many people think that the only way of getting "the blood" is via the cup- but this is what happens when the liturgy is so ambiguous.
I LOVE the word host-- as hostia in Latin means "victim"! We consume the Saving Victim!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.