✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF!

Im a 22 yr old christian male and I was wondering if I could have my communion and be confirmed would this be possible in a christian church? I only ever been to church once and that was for my baptisim at 18

It will depend on the beliefs of the ones you approach. They are quite varied.

Some take the Eucharist very seriously, and would need to talk to you first, and possibly - probably - more.

On the other end of the spectrum, some don't require one to even claim to believe in Christ to receive communion.

There are many variations between these two.

If it were me, I would be interested in learning who teaches what and deciding within that framework where to go to receive communion.

• Agree
Reactions: DrBubbaLove
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,271,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Im a 22 yr old christian male and I was wondering if I could have my communion and be confirmed would this be possible in a christian church? I only ever been to church once and that was for my baptisim at 18
Welcome to CF!

Which denomination are you inquiring about?

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2017
San Antonio, TX
✟8,339.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Welcome to CF!

Which denomination are you inquiring about?
A Christian Communion, im new kinda to The Christian faith bare with me. I never gone to church regulary and im probaly the only "religous" one in my family

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A Christian Communion, im new kinda to The Christian faith bare with me. I never gone to church regulary and im probaly the only "religous" one in my family
Unfortunately there are many different kinds of Christians, who have varying degrees of differences. There are certain core beliefs that nearly all hold in common though. It is unfortunately a very complex subject ...

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Awesome news. May God bless you in this journey!

When I was going through the process as an adult joining the Catholic Church, which takes about a 6 months to a year, the Sister leading that particular class would always tell them that she would rather they be a good <insert whatever Christian denomination> than a bad Catholic. Many Catholic Parishes would allow someone who was simply curious, even with no intent of joining, to attend such classes - perhaps with some conditions to avoid having a presence disruptive to others wanting to join. We had a photographer, Assembly of God (many anti=Catholic members) attend all of our classes, even took pictures of the Easter ceremony bringing us into the Church. He was deeply moved by it all, but did not join.

Most Catholic Parishes are conducting such a class right now in prep for Easter. A few might be open even now to allowing you to attend provided it was just to listen, as the class would be far enough along by now that they may not want to allow the many questions you might have. Such a class would at least give you a broad brush of the Catholic Church.

In your described position you might want to visit Churches on both sides of the Catholic/Protestant divide and be cautious of any that insist you join now or start talking about your salvation being in jeopardy if you do not join that particular Church. I would run from such responses to your journey. You have already seen one response here indicative of that type of response.

You should never get such a response from the Catholic side of the divide, at least not from anyone with Holy Orders (Priest, Deacons, Nuns...etc). You are less likely to get such a response on the Protestant side if you stick with the mainstream denominations and the major associations each Church can be affiliated with. I would also suggest approaching only a Pastor or where there might be multiple - the senior Pastor rather than just talking to any member. Many members on both sides of the isle can be misguided in both efforts and their knowledge of their own denomination.

Good luck and glad to hear of your conversion,

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Awesome news. May God bless you in this journey!

When I was going through the process as an adult joining the Catholic Church, which takes about a 6 months to a year, the Sister leading that particular class would always tell them that she would rather they be a good <insert whatever Christian denomination> than a bad Catholic. Many Catholic Parishes would allow someone who was simply curious, even with no intent of joining, to attend such classes - perhaps with some conditions to avoid having a presence disruptive to others wanting to join. We had a photographer, Assembly of God (many anti=Catholic members) attend all of our classes, even took pictures of the Easter ceremony bringing us into the Church. He was deeply moved by it all, but did not join.

Most Catholic Parishes are conducting such a class right now in prep for Easter. A few might be open even now to allowing you to attend provided it was just to listen, as the class would be far enough along by now that they may not want to allow the many questions you might have. Such a class would at least give you a broad brush of the Catholic Church.

In your described position you might want to visit Churches on both sides of the Catholic/Protestant divide and be cautious of any that insist you join now or start talking about your salvation being in jeopardy if you do not join that particular Church. I would run from such responses to your journey. You have already seen one response here indicative of that type of response.

You should never get such a response from the Catholic side of the divide, at least not from anyone with Holy Orders (Priest, Deacons, Nuns...etc). You are less likely to get such a response on the Protestant side if you stick with the mainstream denominations and the major associations each Church can be affiliated with. I would also suggest approaching only a Pastor or where there might be multiple - the senior Pastor rather than just talking to any member. Many members on both sides of the isle can be misguided in both efforts and their knowledge of their own denomination.

Good luck and glad to hear of your conversion,

Pretty good advice all around - I'm glad you were more thorough than I was. I was waiting for the OP to say more when I last posted.

Just one teensy thing ... most people see Catholic and Protestant as the two options. Orthodoxy is of course neither ... ;) But of course there may or may not be a Church local to our friend.

Whatever the case may be, I pray the Lord will guide you, Lockheed ... always wonderful to hear of someone seeking the Lord! :)

God be with you. :)

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pretty good advice all around - I'm glad you were more thorough than I was. I was waiting for the OP to say more when I last posted.

Just one teensy thing ... most people see Catholic and Protestant as the two options. Orthodoxy is of course neither ... ;) But of course there may or may not be a Church local to our friend.

Whatever the case may be, I pray the Lord will guide you, Lockheed ... always wonderful to hear of someone seeking the Lord! :)

God be with you. :)
Forgive me. I did not mean to exclude your Church or others on the "Catholic side" of the divide as being equally valid choices - and I would consider yours as "mainstream" as the RCC. Actually thought about that and was trying to be careful in choosing to write "Churches on both sides" rather that "Church vs Protestant side". Also would not presume to speak for or know that much about how to join other Churches on our side of that divide other than the one I am in, though I would imagine it a similar process. I could have been clearer I guess. Thanks for allowing me to clarify. Np. :)

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me. I did not mean to exclude your Church or others on the "Catholic side" of the divide as being equally valid choices - and I would consider yours as "mainstream" as the RCC. Actually thought about that and was trying to be careful in choosing to write "Churches on both sides" rather that "Church vs Protestant side". Also would not presume to speak for or know that much about how to join other Churches on our side of that divide other than the one I am in, though I would imagine it a similar process. I could have been clearer I guess. Thanks for allowing me to clarify. Np. :)

No problem. :)

I am mostly just grateful that you went ahead and gave a more thorough answer for our friend, without waiting for his response. Especially letting him know what to beware of no matter where he decides to go.

It must be a pretty overwhelming thing to be in his position. Admirable of you to offer practical help. :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And btw ... Southern Baptist ---> Roman Catholic - that must give you quite a perspective!

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And btw ... Southern Baptist ---> Roman Catholic - that must give you quite a perspective!
It was interesting and took several years. My wife would go with me to Baptist services and she would go alone to Mass. My side of the family and many friends before my 50s still do not understand, though many have accepted it. I married a cradle Catholic with the intent of converting her (and her family). My mom's first question about my choice in a mate was whether Catholics are Christians. We were washing dishes together and I will never forget my response, "well, if there are Christians in the Catholic Church it is in spite of the Church" after assuring her that wife was a Christian. Funny to me now but that was where I was at that time.

I do not recall ever being taught that view specifically, just a general unease from my childhood and some from later- perhaps years of over hearing typical comments - like about idol worship, God has a Mother and such. Never a lot of detail discussions as I recall on the matter, just a general "of course they are wrong because we are right" kind of thing. I do recall asking my dad once, probably as a teen or in my 20s about the validity of the Baptist Church as opposed to some others claiming far older roots and did we all split from those roots. His reply was the "real Church" (meaning Baptist) went underground very early on and had to stay there until after the Protesting Reformation. When I asked if there was any historical record supporting that idea, he mentioned the Baptizer and also the Anabaptist, which in hindsight if I had known anything about that group I would have asked why any Baptist would want to lay claim to it. Had also seen a few Jack Chic comics but that was outside the Church material I picked up, I think it might have been in a public restroom.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It was interesting and took several years. My wife would go with me to Baptist services and she would go alone to Mass. My side of the family and many friends before my 50s still do not understand, though many have accepted it. I married a cradle Catholic with the intent of converting her (and her family). My mom's first question about my choice in a mate was whether Catholics are Christians. We were washing dishes together and I will never forget my response, "well, if there are Christians in the Catholic Church it is in spite of the Church" after assuring her that wife was a Christian. Funny to me now but that was where I was at that time.

I do not recall ever being taught that view specifically, just a general unease from my childhood and some from later- perhaps years of over hearing typical comments - like about idol worship, God has a Mother and such. Never a lot of detail discussions as I recall on the matter, just a general "of course they are wrong because we are right" kind of thing. I do recall asking my dad once, probably as a teen or in my 20s about the validity of the Baptist Church as opposed to some others claiming far older roots and did we all split from those roots. His reply was the "real Church" (meaning Baptist) went underground very early on and had to stay there until after the Protesting Reformation. When I asked if there was any historical record supporting that idea, he mentioned the Baptizer and also the Anabaptist, which in hindsight if I had known anything about that group I would have asked why any Baptist would want to lay claim to it. Had also seen a few Jack Chic comics but that was outside the Church material I picked up, I think it might have been in a public restroom.
Thanks for sharing your story. Much of it I'm familiar with, though a bit here in one person and a bit there in another person. (And some bits myself.)

It's really quite interesting, isn't it, the diverse paths we all take? Thank God that He is interested in all of our souls. :)

Upvote 0