First Bowling Green - Now a phantom massacre in Sweden?

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
‘Last Night in Sweden’? Trump’s Remark Baffles a Nation
At his campaign rally in Florida Saturday, Trump was talking about protecting our country from terrorism. An example he used about what could happen in the U.S. was some incident "last night" in Sweden. Problem: there was no terrorist incident, attack or massacre in Sweden on Friday, nor in recent days, months, or years. But you can bet that his ill-informed supporters in Florida took Trump at his word, while of course thinking that the entire media universe was suppressing that story.

“Sweden? Terror attack? What has he been smoking?" Carl Bildt, former PM of Sweden asked.

One Swedish journalist speculated: “Trump might have gotten his news from the countless right-wing media in the United States that have long been reporting that Sweden is heading for total collapse.”

So rather than checking and verifying the "alternative facts" of the alt-right media, Trump passes on phantom news. I guess Trump is partly right: the media is the enemy, but it is a certain extreme end of the media, and they are the enemy of truth.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"What has he been smoking?" Lol. I am curious to know how his supporters will spin this in an effort to defend him and how long it will take before one or more of them deflects back to Hillary Clinton or former President Obama.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"What has he been smoking?" Lol. I am curious to know how his supporters will spin this in an effort to defend him and how long it will take before one or more of them deflects back to Hillary Clinton or former President Obama.
Of course, rather than admitting that Trump was confused or lying, his supporters will try to deflect the blame. It makes me wonder about his advisors, who mostly seem to be living in an alternate universe.

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe Bildt just didn't know about it?
I trust Sweden is more up to date with their goings on in their country than Trump, who probably couldn't point to Sweden on a labeled map.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
OTOH, you could easily get the facts with a simple internet search, but I suppose it's easier to jump on the anti-Trump bandwagon without doing that. I was able, in minutes, to ascertain how the Left bent facts and statistics in order to make its claim appear to be correct.

Upvote 0

LinguaIgnota

Nov 26, 2014
✟59,588.00
Faith
Atheist
OTOH, you could easily get the facts with a simple internet search, but I suppose it's easier to jump on the anti-Trump bandwagon without doing that. I was able, in minutes, to ascertain how the Left bent facts and statistics in order to make its claim appear to be correct.

And that's what Donald was alluding to when he referred to what happened in Sweden "last night"? If not, then it's completely irrelevant and off-topic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
‘Last Night in Sweden’? Trump’s Remark Baffles a Nation
At his campaign rally in Florida Saturday, Trump was talking about protecting our country from terrorism. An example he used about what could happen in the U.S. was some incident "last night" in Sweden. Problem: there was no terrorist incident, attack or massacre in Sweden on Friday, nor in recent days, months, or years. But you can bet that his ill-informed supporters in Florida took Trump at his word, while of course thinking that the entire media universe was suppressing that story.

“Sweden? Terror attack? What has he been smoking?" Carl Bildt, former PM of Sweden asked.

One Swedish journalist speculated: “Trump might have gotten his news from the countless right-wing media in the United States that have long been reporting that Sweden is heading for total collapse.”

So rather than checking and verifying the "alternative facts" of the alt-right media, Trump passes on phantom news. I guess Trump is partly right: the media is the enemy, but it is a certain extreme end of the media, and they are the enemy of truth.

It seems unlikely he would say something so wrong,

what with so many hawks just waiting for an opportunity to tear him apart.

Could well be he meant "overnight"
meaning the number of immigrants have poured in so fast.
It is not easy to know who is who.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems unlikely he would say something so wrong,

what with so many hawks just waiting for an opportunity to tear him apart.

Could well be he meant "overnight"
meaning the number of immigrants have poured in so fast.
It is not easy to know who is who.
So you are Swedish or have intimate knowledge of Sweden? Great. Tell us more. Share the facts about Sweden with us.

Trump says whatever he wants for his crowd, and they will swallow it all. He doesn't care about truth or what the "hawks" think or say. They are annoying but irrelevant to him.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So Trump's claim about terrorism in Sweden in the last day or two is correct? Show us a news story, please. Check out the Swedish paper, "Aftonbladet"; anything there? Certainly would be if some tragedy occurred.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I think Trump thinks truth is whatever he says it is & his followers think whatever he says is truth. He'll probably say it was a terrorist attack so badly covered by the media nobody in the whole country has heard of it. Or blame somebody else for his screw up. #sad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So Trump's claim about terrorism in Sweden in the last day or two is correct? Show us a news story, please. Check out the Swedish paper, "Aftonbladet"; anything there? Certainly would be if some tragedy occurred.
I read the OP's link (which you posted) and it did not say that Trump referred to an act of terrorism in Sweden.

In fact, it called his reference "vague." But that doesn't bother you; we are just supposed to believe he was referring to a mass murder by ISIS operatives rather than to something else "terrible," right?

• Agree
Reactions: Robban
Upvote 0

LinguaIgnota

Nov 26, 2014
✟59,588.00
Faith
Atheist
I read the OP's link (which you posted) and it did not say that Trump referred to an act of terrorism in Sweden.

In fact, it called his reference "vague." But that doesn't bother you; we are just supposed to believe he was referring to a mass murder by ISIS operatives rather than to something else "terrible," right?

Maybe you'd be so kind as to inform us what he was referring to? The international media as well as the Swedish government are at a loss.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you'd be so kind as to inform us what he was referring to? The international media as well as the Swedish government are at a loss.
What we've been discussing is his alleged reference to "terrorism." However, any careful reading of the article that we were given to look at will show that there is no reference to him having claimed an act of "terrorism" (however that might be defined) in Sweden. As a matter of fact, something else is hinted at in that article, not a bombing, stabbing, or shooting.

Upvote 0

LinguaIgnota

Nov 26, 2014
✟59,588.00
Faith
Atheist
What we've been discussing is his alleged reference to "terrorism." However, any careful reading of the article that we were given to look at will show that there is no reference to him having claimed an act of "terrorism" (however that might be defined) in Sweden.

THAT's the point.

But I asked you to clarify what, if not terrorism, he was talking about. He included Sweden while mentioning Brussels and Nice; clearly referencing the attacks that have happened there. What exactly happened in Sweden "last night"? I'm eager to find out and hope that someone will tell me.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
It couldn't mean the neo-Nazi attack on an immigrant center, because the administration says white supremacist stuff doesn't count.

Did he ever make any public comments about the mosque shooter in Quebec? The 1 described by friends as a Trump-loving white nationalist? He's found the time to whine about department stores, SNL, & a ton of other things along those lines, but did he ever Tweet out public sympathy for those victims? I wonder if he'll express any sympathy for the victims at the immigrant centre.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0