First Black Woman to Serve as a Virginia Police Chief Says Racist Officers Forced Her Out

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
First Black Woman to Serve as a Virginia Police Chief Says Racist Officers Forced Her Out
The first black woman to serve as a police chief in Virginia said Monday that she was forced to resign last week by a group of racist officers who opposed her efforts to change the culture of the Portsmouth Police Department.

The former chief, Tonya D. Chapman, said in a statement that when she took the job in 2016, she knew about “public friction” between city leaders and "the external strife that existed between the community and the Police Department as a result of several officer-involved shootings."

We must salute officers like Chief Chapman who embark on a task to reform a system that allows corrupt officers to flourish. One thing to note is that most officers support reform, yet much like our current government, a corrupt minority affects our ability to have a just and equitable society. We should understand that current crisis in policing is not a matter of most police officers being an issue, but a small entrenched group that bends and breaks the law to protect their corruption. And when members of this entrenched racist group control the FOP, it should be no surprise that the desire for reform shared by most is stymied.

Reactions: JackRT

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here's the coverage in Portsmouth's local paper: Former Portsmouth Police Chief Tonya Chapman says she was forced out, Portsmouth police chief resigns suddenly, with no explanation . Currently, there's a lot of "did not respond to requests for interviews" going on as the paper tried to reach out to the city government, but I assume more information will emerge.

I grew up in the Hampton Roads area, near Portsmouth. I've seen race relations improve a great deal in my lifetime, but it doesn't surprise me that pockets of racism persist.

• Informative
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Too bad we only get one side of the story.

Yeah...for a police chief claiming to have wanted to reform her department, there's a lot of this...

"But she said she also witnessed racism on the job that was “so inflammatory” that she declined to describe it publicly “out of concern for public safety.” She said she would share her recollections with “the appropriate governmental entity” if called to do so."

"I'm trying to bring about change here! I saw outrageous racism!"

What did you see??

"Well I can't say...for your safety."

Lol I can't imagine what kind of person believes that story.

Then there's this...

"The former chief said she faced especially deep hostility from “members of a highly influential fraternal organization,” which she declined to name, who resisted her efforts to change the department."

Her press release was basically this...

Her-"I tried to change the awful racism in the department! That's why they got rid of me!"

Press-"Who are the racists?"

Her-"I can't say."

Press-"Well what did they do?"

Her-"I can't tell you...for your safety."

She's a real Serpico alright lol...she's like Snowden, you know, without the evidence lol.

She's a whistleblower without the whistle...just blowing hot air.

Upvote 0