Midwest
✟78,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Non-Christians are praised when they condone abortion but Christians are not politically correct if they share Christian beliefs?

• Friendly
Reactions: Danthemailman

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Non-Christians are praised when they condone abortion but Christians are not politically correct if they share Christian beliefs?

Which is people exercising their first amendment rights. It applies to everyone, not just people you agree with.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Which is people exercising their first amendment rights. It applies to everyone, not just people you agree with.

Oh, sure. The media has first amendment rights. I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

You may have to expand a bit about what you seem to be upset about. When I see this in the context of the 1st Amendment, all I see is...

Non-Christians are praised [people exercising free speech] when they condone [people exercising free speech] abortion but Christians are [declared to be [people exercising free speech]] not politically correct if they share [people exercising free speech] Christian beliefs?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,812.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I find it odd how American conservatives defend the first amendment so ferociously. Complete free speech doesn't seem conducive to any society if it wants to maintain a certain sense of itself.

Of course the idea behind Abortion is that it is a woman's freedom to with her body as much as she wants. Therefore in attempting to limit the autonomy of the woman to procure an abortion at any point of the pregnancy is viewed as a violation of the woman's right.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,756.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Complete free speech doesn't seem conducive to any society if it wants to maintain a certain sense of itself.
Free speech simply prevents one person or group from eliminating others that disagree, thus freeing themselves of competition or having to defend their own ideas. See Cancel Culture.

• Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,812.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Free speech simply prevents one person or group from eliminating others that disagree, thus freeing themselves of competition or having to defend their own ideas. See Cancel Culture.
Huh, I don't think this insistence on free speech has prevented the conservative movement in America from dying off. Seems like a failing strategy.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Therefore, what?

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,693.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Huh, I don't think this insistence on free speech has prevented the conservative movement in America from dying off. Seems like a failing strategy.

'Pass that tissue, dear. I've got coffee all over my tablet.'

Or maybe that sentence doesn't mean what you thought it meant...

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,313.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I find it odd how American conservatives defend the first amendment so ferociously. Complete free speech doesn't seem conducive to any society if it wants to maintain a certain sense of itself.

Of course the idea behind Abortion is that it is a woman's freedom to with her body as much as she wants.

Bodily autonomy is not gender specific. Nor is it even specific to legal persons since it persists after death.

Therefore in attempting to limit the autonomy of the woman to procure an abortion at any point of the pregnancy is viewed as a violation of the woman's right.

Incorrect. Abortion, with the exception of risk of harm to the mother, is only allowed until fetal viability.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,756.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is only democracy if it is not one-sided. It takes two sides working together to come to a conclusion begrudgingly agreeable to both. Those days seem gone. A third side could upend the deadlock but of course the nation wasn't built along those lines. They knew full well two sides squabbling would keep the real power that holds the purse strings free to do as it wills.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

So where's your issue?

Everyone has the right to free speech...nobody's telling anyone they don't have a right to espouse pro-life views.

There's no such thing as "a right to have everyone else agree with my speech, and praise me for it". And there's certainly no guarantee that everyone's speech/views are going to be equally popular among the public.

That only happens when one's viewpoints are shared by enough people that it reflects the culture as a whole.

For instance,
I have a right to say "Pepperoni is the best pizza topping"
John Doe has a right to say "I think carrots are the best pizza topping"

John Doe shouldn't be under the impression that his statement is going to receive the same amount of support as my statement.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,756.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have a right to say "Pepperoni is the best pizza topping"
John Doe has a right to say "I think carrots are the best pizza topping"

John Doe shouldn't be under the impression that his statement is going to receive the same amount of support as my statement.
Unless of course social media decides to dictate the side of the carrot superior and censor any other viewpoint..

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You may have to expand a bit about what you seem to be upset about. When I see this in the context of the 1st Amendment, all I see is...

Non-Christians are praised [people exercising free speech] when they condone [people exercising free speech] abortion but Christians are [declared to be [people exercising free speech]] not politically correct if they share [people exercising free speech] Christian beliefs?

Most of the time, when people are on the far right are complaining about being censored, or being denied their free speech, it actually has nothing to do with free speech, and is actually more about wanting to espouse outdated opinions (that are no longer publicly popular), and being upset when they no longer have majority agreement on their side with regards to other individuals or corporate entities.

I think this sums it up...
upload_2021-6-14_20-16-47.png

• Agree
Reactions: adrianmonk
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unless of course social media decides to dictate the side of the carrot superior and censor any other viewpoint..

Social media certainly has some biases, and ones that I've been very critical of them for with regards to certain topics. (I've started several threads on it), and certainly have some biases that I would find concerning from the standpoint that they're being enlisted by (and therefore acting as) state actors for certain purposes and absolutely have the influence and power to influence elections.

However, on the abortion topic, it's really a non-issue.

https://twitter.com/search?q=#prolife&lang=en

Twitter and Facebook both allow pro-life content on their platforms.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟293,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Is this supposed to refer to real (and recent) examples of such speech or is this just a general complaint?

BTW everybody: Abortion rights don't come from the 1st Amendment (and are off topic to OP), but advocating for or against them is protected by the 1st Amendment (CF rules apply on CF).

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What has this got to do with the First Amendment? General praise or blame is irrelevant as to whether the government is interfering or not with speech.

Upvote 0