Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I would appreciate your input on firearm suggestions for first time owners. Please include small and large options and additional considerations for the home. Thank you.

~Bella

Well, the only thing I have experience with our shotguns and rifles. So, my suggestion will follow along those lines. I would get a 12 gauge for in the home. Double-aught buckshot for ammo and that will stop anyone that enters your home.

I say this because even if you're off by a little, with a widespread shot like buck-shot, you're still gonna hit whatever you're aiming at unless you are way off on the aim.

Never fired a handgun and my girlfriend doesn't like handguns, so I will stick to a shotgun even after we're married.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Lever action .410 shotgun in a short barrel. Or 20 gauge for that matter

9mm pistol

.38 revolver

And any of those require training for home defense and careful selection of ammo because ammo selection is possibly more important than exactly which gun was chosen.

That said I tend to agree with the others about the Lord. Understand that the first general rule of self defense with a gun is you be willing to take a life. And it's not that you might but that you aim too, because a big guy not taken fully out can become the worst thing that ever happened to you. He can over power you and turn your own weapon on you. So if to get a gun ( or two) train up with it. It's not a lite matter. When you get training, they will tell you what I just did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Home defense; Handgun semi auto or revolver. I prefer revolvers though I have semis. I personally find a revolver more accurate. For a smaller individual 9mm or 357. Gold dot copper jacketed hollow points. I use hollow points in all handguns, God forbid you have to use it, they do more damage. I have a couple 44 mags, can be just a tad much for smaller person, but they are legal for hunting bear so it will stop someone. Practice, practice, practice. My wife has a 5 shot 38 Ruger. Not a fan of 38s, but she is a better shot than I.

Shotguns in a home; can’t miss, that may be a problem when you need to acquire a specific target. I keep a slug, 2 buck, slug, 2 buck, slug, 2 buckshot in a mossburg 9 shot.

Long guns; If we could legally purchase shorter barrels. Longer distance. Good to have though. I have several. We are inundated with wild pig here. Lever action 30 30 or the 44 works.

Safety; never point a gun at anyone unless you are prepared to use it. Never assume it is unloaded. Some localities require that a weapon be in a lock box and they should be if you have children who are untrained or others who are given to emotional spats. I figure when a situation requires quick access, they should be available, loaded and chambered.

I’m not interested in shooting anyone however should the situation arise in which protection of a loved one, any intruder picked the wrong house. I live in the country and there is most likely a gun in most homes around here. Get well acquainted and comfortable with them. Find people in your area that can help you with advice. Find a local store with a gun range and try different ones. Settle in your heart what you will do should a situation develop in which it becomes necessary to use it. To long a hesitation may put you at a disadvantage. To quick a response will wound your heart. In closing seek local assistance. And do not listen to the detractors. Guns don’t shoot themselves.

In Christ
I keep several loaded guns in various areas of the house. That will change soon as a 7 year old grandson is coming to stay for a while.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There's a lot to consider, and it's worth doing some research on. The strength and steadiness of your hand is a factor. If you're in an apartment, wall penetration might matter, in which case a shotgun is best. They're also good because aiming is less important, and aiming is hard when you are super stressed. For the home a shorter barrel is best.

There has been a lot of interest in firearms by women in the past several years, and manufacturers have responded by creating guns that are easier to shoot. The LCP, for lightweight carry pistol, is one of this class. There are a lot of gun videos on youtube, so you can "window shop". I remember seeing one of five ladies pistols being compared. As I recall, the ugliest one, a Glock, was the winner. There's a lot of back and forth about which is the best carry pistol, but as with Bible versions and reading, the best carry pistol is the one you actually will carry.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like cars, there is no "one size fits all" gun, but here are some tradeoffs to consider:

For handguns, the smaller, lighter ones are easier to carry and conceal, but they are generally less effective due to using smaller (weaker) calibers and holding fewer rounds. The larger ones utilize more powerful and effective calibers, but are bulkier and heavier. I would avoid any caliber smaller/weaker than a 380, or stronger than 10mm, unless you anticipate dealing with bears or druggies. 357s can fire 38 special ammunition, and are a great revolver choice. 9mm is a good general auto choice, but a 45 packs more punch without being too strong.

The 12-ga. shotgun advice is good, with one caution: aim is important. A 00 buckshot load will only spread out a few inches at 25 feet, so you must be on target with your aim. 00 buck is good with no over-penetration, but a slug will pack a greater punch (bears or druggies) if there's no innocent people behind the bad guy. If the bad guy may be wearing body armor, consider a rifle (223, 30-30 or 30.06). Even then, some body armor may stop these, so consider head shots too.

Just for perspective, I got my wife her first gun, a 5-shot 38 special in 1986, and she still carries it. She wants to switch to a 45 that her dad gave her, since it carries more rounds and more impact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟54,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like cars, there is no "one size fits all" gun, but here are some tradeoffs to consider:

For handguns, the smaller, lighter ones are easier to carry and conceal, but they are generally less effective due to using smaller (weaker) calibers and holding fewer rounds. The larger ones utilize more powerful and effective calibers, but are bulkier and heavier. I would avoid any caliber smaller/weaker than a 380, or stronger than 10mm, unless you anticipate dealing with bears or druggies. 357s can fire 38 special ammunition, and are a great revolver choice. 9mm is a good general auto choice, but a 45 packs more punch without being too strong.

The 12-ga. shotgun advice is good, with one caution: aim is important. A 00 buckshot load will only spread out a few inches at 25 feet, so you must be on target with your aim. 00 buck is good with no over-penetration, but a slug will pack a greater punch (bears or druggies) if there's no innocent people behind the bad guy. If the bad guy may be wearing body armor, consider a rifle (223, 30-30 or 30.06). Even then, some body armor may stop these, so consider head shots too.

Just for perspective, I got my wife her first gun, a 5-shot 38 special in 1986, and she still carries it. She wants to switch to a 45 that her dad gave her, since it carries more rounds and more impact.
Also the layout of your house/apartment is very important. If for example it is a tiny place a shotgun would be unwieldy, whereas if you have a long hall leading to your bedroom it might be ideal. Also, where is it going to be stored? If you have kids you need to keep it locked up, and in reality you should regardless of whether or not you have kids. A gun safe for a handgun would be a lot easier to keep in the bedroom unless you have a really big place and have room for a case for the shotgun.

Also how would you feel if you accidentally shot someone who was not an intruder? If for example you killed a friend or neighbor by mistake? Macing someone by mistake is not nearly as permanent.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would appreciate your input on firearm suggestions for first time owners. Please include small and large options and additional considerations for the home. Thank you.

~Bella
Suggestion get as much training as possible this is very important there is much more to know than just being able to hit the target. Go to a range that rents guns that you can try out. Find one you are comfortable with, you will know when you find it. Then buy one and practice, practice, practice.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

~Bella
You might find the gun stores are sold out in some areas. A revolver is easier to use than a semi-auto pistol.

Some people who thought they had the right to shoot trespassers went to jail. They would have been better off if they never bought guns in the first place.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is it a man or a woman?

Both. No children.

Do you plan on carrying the firearm with you or only have it in the house?

Possibly both. I’ll be living in different places for a period of time due to work.

What kind of neighborhood are you in? Is it remote or is it an apartment building?

Affluent, non remote. Very commercial.

Are you planning on spending time on a range? Have you considered a dog, still one of the absolute best security systems there is.

Yes. No dogs allowed. But that may not be an issue later.

~Bella

• Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
A gun safe for a handgun would be a lot easier to keep in the bedroom unless you have a really big place and have room for a case for the shotgun.

Both are options. Thank you for the suggestions.

[quoteAlso how would you feel if you accidentally shot someone who was not an intruder? If for example you killed a friend or neighbor by mistake? Macing someone by mistake is not nearly as permanent.[/QUOTE]

That’s where a good security system comes in. But having less destructive means of protection is equally important.

~Bella

• Agree
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Bella, you're quickly circling for a landing on a small .38 revolver or something like a little Walther PPQ 9mm. Good defense ammo is essential in both cases. Either should be used at close range like 9-10 yards or closer. Good purse guns or concealed carry. Another decent thought at least worth investigating is Ruger's little 9mm revolver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
A friend of mine (i email him) and he suggested this.

upload_2020-6-1_7-42-14.png

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

~Bella

Well I got a few suggestions (after becoming armed prior to heavy gun grabbing legislation in CA and nationally back in 2012).

For hand guns if possible pick the caliber based on your shooting accuracy. So if you have friends or relatives that like to shoot tag along with them and test fire what they got and see what is comfortable. If not gun stores will likely rent you firearms at an affordable price for you to try one on for size at their indoor range. I myself got a 9 mm Beretta, the side arm used by police and the military. And two 357 revolvers a 4 inch standard barrel, and a 2 inch barrel in case I want to do concealed carry or need to keep a gun handy in case of riots, death threats etc.

Revolvers are very recommended for various reasons, especially accuracy and reliability and they got more stopping power than an automatic, and are much easier to reload. The down side is no "safety". You basically got to treat it like its always loaded.

For concealed carry etc. the common advice is to pick a weapon that is the most comfortable to you as far as how it feels in your hand, when shooting etc. And in this avenue, you are much more likely to actually buy an automatic even though there are some good revolver options for you.

When you buy or are shopping your gun store will brief you on gun safety advice, and probably you will need to pass a basic gun safety test (which is good training and info). I think it is also good to think about securing your firearm to keep it out of hands of burglars, children etc. So for myself, I got my 3 hand guns locked up in an ammo box, in a storage area that is not to far from where I sleep and I keep the key on my key rind along side my car, and house key.

I would also recommend you buy a few "safety" rounds for the gun you buy in addition to the "range" ammo. These are much more expense than standard rounds but very important. Safety rounds aka hollow points are important for home defense. They will keep any rounds you fire in actual home defense from penetrating the wall of your house and into the house of your neighbors (because they brake on impact rather than continue penetrating).

You also really should check the self defense position of your state (and if you are concealed carry any state you frequently travel to. e.g. - Does it have "Duty to Retreat", "Stand your ground", "Castle" doctrine.) etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,093.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One minor point regarding automatic pistols versus revolvers - automatics can and do occasionally jam up, revolvers don't. I prefer revolvers for that reason. I definitely wouldn't want a jam when I'm in a jam. ha ha
Yes. No dogs allowed. But that may not be an issue later.
Advice on a dog - do not get a Siberian Husky. Terrible guard dog. Way, way too friendly. If an intruder broke into my house she wouldn't bark at all, and she'd just try to play with him. :)

• Agree
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jamming does happen with pistols, especially when loose gripped or limp wristed. I think this video explains some valid points to curious people in these times ( he uses the code word beer for pandemic probably fearing the video could be taken down): <iframe width="914" height="514" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One minor point regarding automatic pistols versus revolvers - automatics can and do occasionally jam up, revolvers don't. I prefer revolvers for that reason. I definitely wouldn't want a jam when I'm in a jam. ha ha

Advice on a dog - do not get a Siberian Husky. Terrible guard dog. Way, way too friendly. If an intruder broke into my house she wouldn't bark at all, and she'd just try to play with him. :)
It is more difficult to take apart a pistol and clean it than to clean a revolver.
The barrel slide on a pistol takes some gripping strength. Standard handguns are only accurate at close range.

I should add some words of warning. Studies have shown that a household owning a gun(s) is more likely to to suffer a homicide than a household without a gun(s). Households with a gun(s) are more likely to have one family member shoot another than a household without a gun. People who own guns are more likely to shoot themselves than shoot someone else. The suicide rate is higher than the homicide rate.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

I had the one husky that was the exception that proves the point I guess. My husky actually stopped and held a robber in place on our backyard. The gentleman robbed the neighbor and jumped the fence into the yard where our husky was waiting. He did not let up until police showed up and was told to let go.

He was such a good boy!

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,093.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jamming does happen with pistols, especially when loose gripped or limp wristed.
Limp wristed?! What are you trying to say to me? :mad: No, but seriously, I've never heard of this. What does that mean? How can that cause jamming?

Upvote 0