✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Colossians Chapter 2 - First 10 Verses

Thank you all for who has been reading these, hope God and Jesus Christ are teaching you many great things and important lessons.

1 For I want you to know what a great conflict[a] I have for you and those in Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh, 2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, and attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, [b]both of the Father and of Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Verse 1: Paul is writing to people in Colossians: telling them about a great conflict for them, and those in Laodicea, for as many have not seen Paul personally.​

Verse 2: The great conflict is that He hasn't had a chance to reach them, and desires for them in their heart to be encouraged, being knit together in love, to attaining all the riches of the full assurance of understanding,​

being knit together: 4822 symbibázō (from 4862 /sýn, "identified with" and 1688 /embibázō, "to board a ship") – properly, bring together (combine), "causing to stride together" (TDNT); (figuratively) to grasp a truth by intertwining ideas needed to "get on board," i.e. come to the necessary judgment (conclusion); "to prove" (J. Thayer).

Full assurance: Cognate: 4136 plērophoría – properly, full carry-through ("fully come to bear"). See 4135 (plērophoreō).

understanding : Cognate: 4907 sýnesis (from 4920 /syníēmi) – properly, facts joined together for holistic understanding, i.e. synthesized reasoning that joins implicit (indirect) truths for comprehension. See also 4920 (syníēmi).

knowledge: Cognate: 1922 epígnōsis (from 1909 /epí, "on, fitting" which intensifies 1108 /gnṓsis, "knowledge gained through first-hand relationship") – properly, "contact-knowledge" that is appropriate ("apt, fitting") to first-hand, experiential knowing. This is defined by the individual context. See 1921 (epignōskō).

Of God: 2316 theós (of unknown origin) – properly, God, the Creator and owner of all things (Jn 1:3; Gen 1 - 3).​

which is in Christ Jesus - 5547 Xristós (from 5548 /xríō, "anoint with olive oil") – properly, "the Anointed One," the Christ (Hebrew, "Messiah").​

Paul desires for them to come together in love, and to share in the riches and full understanding, and mystery of God,

understanding in both of the Father, and of Christ -> The Gospel of Truth.

Verse 3: Paul explains that there are in the Father, and in Christ all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Wisdom: [4678 (sophía) is the root of the English terms, "sophistication" and "philosophy" – literally (respectively), "the art of using wisdom," "affection for wisdom."] 4678 sophía (cf. saphēs, "clear") – wisdom (properly, "clarity").

Knowledge: Cognate: 1108 gnṓsis (a feminine noun derived from 1097 /ginṓskō, "experientially know") – functional ("working") knowledge gleaned from first-hand (personal) experience, connecting theory to application; "application-knowledge," gained in (by) a direct relationship. See 1097 (ginōskō).​

4 Now this I say lest anyone should deceive you with persuasive words.

Verse 4: Paul is encouraging the people in Colossians and the Laodecians : To be careful and not let anyone deceive you with persuasive words.​

not let anyone delude you: 3884 paralogízomai (from 3844 /pará, "contrary when compared side-by-side" and 3049 /logízomai, "to reason") – properly, to reason contrary to truth, in a misleading (erroneous) way.

persuasive speech : 4086. pithanologia ^ persuasive argument (1).​

5 For though I am absent in the flesh, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing [c]to see your good order and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ.

Verse 5: Paul says though he is not with them, he is with them in spirit - rejoicing to see your good order and steadfastness of Christ.​

spirit: 4151 pneúma – properly, spirit (Spirit), wind, or breath. The most frequent meaning (translation) of 4151 (pneúma) in the NT is "spirit" ("Spirit"). Only the context however determines which sense(s) is meant.

[Any of the above renderings (spirit-Spirit, wind, breath) of 4151 (pneúma) is always theoretically possible (spirit, Spirit, wind, breath). But when the attributive adjective ("holy") is used, it always refers to the Holy Spirit. "Spirit" ("spirit") is by far the most common translation (application) of 4151 (pneúma).

The Hebrew counterpart (rûach) has the same range of meaning as 4151 (pneúma), i.e. it likewise can refer to spirit/Spirit, wind, or breath.]

Good order: Cognate: 5010 táksis (a feminine noun, derived from 5021 /tássō, "to arrange, order") – properly, an arrangement (a brand of ordering), placing one member over another in rank, approval, etc. See 5021 (tassō). order, (a) regular arrangement, (b) appointed succession, (c) position, rank. - In their church.

Steadfast: Cognate: 4733 steréōma (a noun) – literally, a support (foundation); (figuratively) strength (solidity), making one immoveable because solid (used only in Col 2:5). See 4731 (stereos).​

6 As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him,

Verse 6: As you have therefore - understanding that I Paul am rejoicing over hearing your faith and strength in the Lord Jesus Christ: As you heard and learned from the Gospel of Truth to continue to walk in Him.

Received: 3880 paralambánō (from 3844 /pará, "from close-alongside" and 2983 /lambánō, "aggressively take") – to take (receive) by showing strong personal initiative. Usage: I take from, receive from, or: I take to, receive (apparently not used of money), admit, acknowledge; I take with me.​

7 rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding [d]in it with thanksgiving.

Verse 7: Paul says; be rooted and built up in Him (Jesus Christ) and being established in the faith, you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving

have been rooted: 4492. rhizoó Usage: I cause to take root; met: I plant, fix firmly, establish.

being built up : 2026 epoikodoméō (from 1909 /epí, "apt, fitting on," which intensifies 3618 /oikodoméō, "to build up, edify") – properly, appropriately build on, following a plan with pre-designed (pre-defined) specifications. Usage: I build upon (above) a foundation.​

you were taught (life, burial, resurrection of Christ Jesus) - 1321 didáskō (from daō, "learn") – to teach (literally, "cause to learn"); instruct, impart knowledge (disseminate information).

In the NT, 1321 /didáskō ("teach") nearly always refers to teaching the Scriptures (the written Word of God). The key role of teaching Scripture is shown by its great frequency in the NT, and the variety of word-forms (cognates).

abounding: 4052 perisseúō (from 4012 /perí, "all-around" which indicates abundance or surplus) – properly, exceed, go beyond the expected measure, i.e. above and beyond ("more than . . . "); "what goes further (more), surpasses" (J. Thayer).

thanksgiving: Cognate: 2169 euxaristía (from 2170/euxáristos, "thankful for God's grace") – properly, thankfulness (thanksgiving) – literally, "the giving of thanks for God's grace." See 2168 (euxaristeō).​

8 Beware lest anyone [e]cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.

Verse 8: Paul makes a reminder again for the second time to not let anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit​

cheat : 4812 sylagōgéō (from sylōn,"a prey, victim" and 71 /ágō, "carry off") – properly, to carry off like a predator with its prey; to spoil (used only in Col 2:8). Usage: I plunder, lead captive; met: I make victim by fraud.

tradition: 3862 parádosis (from 3844 /pará, "from close-beside" and 1325 /dídōmi, "give over") – properly, give (hand over) from close-beside, referring to tradition as passed on from one generation to the next.

Philosophy: 5385 philosophía (from 5384 /phílos, "a friend" and 4678 /sophía, "wisdom") – properly, a friend (lover) of wisdom (used only in Col 2:8).

5835/philosophía ("philosophy") in Col 2:8 refers to secular philosophy – elevating human wisdom over the wisdom of God. Such 5385 (philosophía) is loving one's own thoughts (secular wisdom) at the expense of God's Word (true wisdom).

Usage: love of wisdom, philosophy, in the NT of traditional Jewish theology.​

Deceit : Cognate: 539 apátē – a false impression, made to deceive or cheat – i.e. deceit motivated by guile and treachery (trickery, fraud). See 538 (apataō).​

Verse 8 (2) : according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.

principles: 4747 stoixeíon– properly, fundamentals, like with the basic components of a philosophy, structure, etc.; (figuratively) "first principles," like the basic fundamentals of Christianity.

[4747 (stoixeíon) refers to "the rudiments with which mankind . . . were indoctrinated (before the time of Christ), i.e. the elements of religious training or the ceremonial precepts common alike to the worship of Jews and of Gentiles" (J. Thayer).​

of the world: 2889 kósmos (literally, "something ordered") – properly, an "ordered system" (like the universe, creation); the world.

according to: 2596 katá (a preposition, governing two grammatical cases) – properly, "down from, i.e. from a higher to a lower plane, with special reference to the terminus (end-point)" (J. Thayer). gen: against, down from, throughout, by; acc: over against, among, daily, day-by-day, each day, according to, by way of.​

Christ: 5547 Xristós (from 5548 /xríō, "anoint with olive oil") – properly, "the Anointed One," the Christ (Hebrew, "Messiah").​

9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead [f]bodily;

Verse 9: Paul explains in the previous verses not to get mixed in with traditions of men, and the philosophy that comes from the world; and not according to Christ, -> For In Christ dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.​

Godhead: 2320 /theótēs ("fullness of deity") expresses God's "essential (personal) deity, as belonging to Christ" (WS, 906). 2320 (theótēs) focuses on Christ physically embodying the Godhead through His incarnation and shown throughout His perfect life of faith (cf. Heb 12:2). Only used one time in the entire bible.​

Christ Jesus is explained in the first chapter as the firstborn from the dead, he is the head (the cornerstone) of the body, Jesus Christ is also head of the church, and who is the one who is first and Chief over everything.

The Father and the Lord Jesus Christ - have hidden treasures of wisdom and knowledge which are far above all the worldly philosophy, and the traditions of men -> So Paul encourages the Colossians, and Laodecians to not get mixed in with the world and lose focus on the truth of what the Gospel of Truth which has been given to them.​

10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all [g]principality and power.

Verse 10: Paul explains to the Colossians and Laodecians -> they are complete in Him filled by him.​

Complete: Cognate: 4137 plēróō (from plērēs, "be full," see 4130 /plḗthō) – properly, fill to individual capacity, i.e. to the extent it is "meet" (appropriate). See 4130 (plēthō).​

Verse 10 (2) : Who is the head of all principality and power.

Head : 2776. kephalé Usage: (a) the head, (b) met: a corner stone, uniting two walls; head, ruler, lord.

principality: 746 arxḗ arché – properly, from the beginning (temporal sense), i.e. "the initial (starting) point"; (figuratively) what comes first and therefore is chief (foremost), i.e. has the priority because ahead of the rest ("preeminent"). (a) rule (kingly or magisterial), (b) plur: in a quasi-personal sense, almost: rulers, magistrates, (c) beginning.

power - Authority -> 1849. exousia eksousía (from 1537 /ek, "out from," which intensifies 1510 /eimí, "to be, being as a right or privilege") – authority, conferred power; delegated empowerment ("authorization"), operating in a designated jurisdiction.

In the NT, 1849 /eksousía ("delegated power") refers to the authority God gives to His saints – authorizing them to act to the extent they are guided by faith (His revealed word).​

Paul explains the superiority of Christ Jesus to the Colossians and Laodecians, over all else.

Last edited:

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Usage: love of wisdom, philosophy, in the NT of traditional Jewish theology.

Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

This verse is the only verse in the Bible that uses the Greek word "philosophia", so saying that it is used to refer to traditional Jewish theology is an interpretation based on how the word is used, not justification for interpreting the word in that manner, however, I do think think that interpretation is correct. Jesus walked in sinless obedience to the Mosaic Law, and in Colossians 2:6, it says that as they received Jesus, so walk with him. Paul would not have described those who were teaching people to following Christ's example of obedience to God's holy, righteous, and good law as taking people captive by philosophy and empty decide, according to human tradition, and not according to Christ. Paul described what the elemental spirits of the world are later in the chapter:

Colossians 2:20 If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations— 21 “Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch” 22 (referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings? 23 These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.

So again, he described the people who were judging the Colossians as teaching human percepts and teachings, self-made religion, asceticism, and severity to the body, which means that they were being judged by people who were teaching paganism, not traditional Jewish theology. So in Colossians 2:16, Paul was encouraging them not to let pagans judge them and stop them from keeping God's holy days.

Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

This verse is the only verse in the Bible that uses the Greek word "philosophia", so saying that it is used to refer to traditional Jewish theology is an interpretation based on how the word is used, not justification for interpreting the word in that manner, however, I do think think that interpretation is correct. Jesus walked in sinless obedience to the Mosaic Law, and in Colossians 2:6, it says that as they received Jesus, so walk with him. Paul would not have described those who were teaching people to following Christ's example of obedience to God's holy, righteous, and good law as taking people captive by philosophy and empty decide, according to human tradition, and not according to Christ. Paul described what the elemental spirits of the world are later in the chapter:

Colossians 2:20 If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations— 21 “Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch” 22 (referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings? 23 These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.

So again, he described the people who were judging the Colossians as teaching human percepts and teachings, self-made religion, asceticism, and severity to the body, which means that they were being judged by people who were teaching paganism, not traditional Jewish theology. So in Colossians 2:16, Paul was encouraging them not to let pagans judge them and stop them from keeping God's holy days.

Thank you for your insights, Soyeong

• Friendly
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Colossians 2: 11-15

11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body [h]of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,

verse 11: In Christ Jesus Paul states you were circumcised with the circumcision made without hands,

Paul is saying in Christ Jesus you have been circumcised - which is who renews our mind, and heart - it is a circumcision made without hands, it is inside and comes from a change of heart, and by the spirit.​

Verse 11: by putting off the body of sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,​

Flesh : 4561 sárks properly, flesh ("carnal"), merely of human origin or empowerment.

[4561 /sárks ("flesh") is not always evil in Scripture. Indeed, it is used positively in relation to sexual intercourse in marriage (Eph 5:31) – as well as for the sinless human body of Jesus (Jn 1:14; 1 Jn 4:2,3). Indeed, flesh (what is physical) is necessary for the body to live out the faith the Lord works in (Gal 2:20).]

4561 (sarks) is generally negative, referring to making decisions (actions) according to self – i.e. done apart from faith (independent from God's inworking). Thus what is "of the flesh (carnal)" is by definition displeasing to the Lord – even things that seem "respectable!" In short, flesh generally relates to unaided human effort, i.e. decisions (actions) that originate from self or are empowered by self. This is carnal ("of the flesh") and proceeds out of the untouched (unchanged) part of us – i.e. what is not transformed by God.​

12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.

Verse 12: Paul explains to the audience of the letter. They are buried with Christ Jesus in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.​

As believer we are buried with Christ Jesus in the baptism of - His death, in remembrance of the Cross, and resurrection -> As believers you are raised with Christ Jesus -> by the working of God in your life who gives you spiritual life by receiving the Holy spirit, who also rose Christ Jesus from the dead.

We too are raised from our spiritual deadness, into spiritual life - eternal life walking and following and being in relationship with God.​

13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,

Verse 13: All being dead in their trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, Jesus Christ has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you of all your trespasses.

So Jew or Gentile - > Are now one because they are made alive together because of Christ Jesus and being buried with him through his baptism, and being risen again from death unto life spiritually, by the holy spirit which is given by belief on the Lord Jesus Christ.​

14 having wiped out the [i]handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

Verse 14: Because of what Jesus Christ has done for Jew and Gentile -> Jesus Christ has been able to wipe out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. (Talking about fulfilling the old testament law, which was a decree and standard to live by). Christ Jesus has taken it out of the way, and nailed it to the cross.​

15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

Verse 15: Because of what Christ Jesus was able to do by wiping out the handwriting of decree and requirements which were against us, he also has disarmed principalities and powers.​

Having disarmed: 554 apekdýomai(from 575 /apó, "away from," which intensifies 1562 /ekdýō "go down and completely away from") – "completely strip off," thoroughly renounce. The double prefixes (apo, ek) strongly emphasize the depth of the renouncing. This "renunciation (stripping right off) is very emphatic" (Nigel Turner, Christian Words, 366).

554 /apekdýomai ("stripping completely off") was "probably coined by Paul meaning, 'I put off' (as a garment), 'from myself, I throw off' " (Souter; note the prefix, apo).

Principalities : 746 arxḗ arché– properly, from the beginning (temporal sense), i.e. "the initial (starting) point"; (figuratively) what comes first and therefore is chief (foremost), i.e. has the priority because ahead of the rest ("preeminent"). (a) rule (kingly or magisterial), (b) plur: in a quasi-personal sense, almost: rulers, magistrates, (c) beginning.

Powers / Authority -> 1849 eksousía (from 1537 /ek, "out from," which intensifies 1510 /eimí, "to be, being as a right or privilege") – authority, conferred power; delegated empowerment ("authorization"), operating in a designated jurisdiction. (a) power, authority, weight, especially: moral authority, influence, (b) in a quasi-personal sense, derived from later Judaism, of a spiritual power, and hence of an earthly power.​

Verse 15 (2) He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

Triumphing : 2358 thriambeúō – properly, to display triumph openly; publically exalting the victor who leads a victory-procession – and putting the conquered on display (exhibition, as "totally defeated").

Public: 3954 parrhēsía (from 3956 /pás, "all" and rhēsis, "a proverb or statement quoted with resolve," L-S) – properly, confidence (bold resolve), leaving a witness that something deserves to be remembered (taken seriously).​

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Colossians 2: 11-15

11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body [h]of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,

verse 11: In Christ Jesus Paul states you were circumcised with the circumcision made without hands,

Paul is saying in Christ Jesus you have been circumcised - which is who renews our mind, and heart - it is a circumcision made without hands, it is inside and comes from a change of heart, and by the spirit.​

Verse 11: by putting off the body of sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,
Flesh : 4561 sárks properly, flesh ("carnal"), merely of human origin or empowerment.

[4561 /sárks ("flesh") is not always evil in Scripture. Indeed, it is used positively in relation to sexual intercourse in marriage (Eph 5:31) – as well as for the sinless human body of Jesus (Jn 1:14; 1 Jn 4:2,3). Indeed, flesh (what is physical) is necessary for the body to live out the faith the Lord works in (Gal 2:20).]

4561 (sarks) is generally negative, referring to making decisions (actions) according to self – i.e. done apart from faith (independent from God's inworking). Thus what is "of the flesh (carnal)" is by definition displeasing to the Lord – even things that seem "respectable!" In short, flesh generally relates to unaided human effort, i.e. decisions (actions) that originate from self or are empowered by self. This is carnal ("of the flesh") and proceeds out of the untouched (unchanged) part of us – i.e. what is not transformed by God.​

Having a circumcised heart is associated with living in obedience to the Mosaic Law (Deuteronomy 10:12-16, Deuteronomy 30:6, Romans 2:26-29), while having an uncircumcised heart is associated with living in disobedience to it (Jeremiah 9:25-26, Acts 7:51-53). Likewise, sins of the flesh are in disobedience to it.

12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.

Verse 12: Paul explains to the audience of the letter. They are buried with Christ Jesus in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.​

As believer we are buried with Christ Jesus in the baptism of - His death, in remembrance of the Cross, and resurrection -> As believers you are raised with Christ Jesus -> by the working of God in your life who gives you spiritual life by receiving the Holy spirit, who also rose Christ Jesus from the dead.

We too are raised from our spiritual deadness, into spiritual life - eternal life walking and following and being in relationship with God.​
Being buried and raise with Jesus is the theme of Romans 6 and everything in that chapter is in favor of obedience to God's law and against the law of sin.

13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,

Verse 13: All being dead in their trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, Jesus Christ has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you of all your trespasses.

So Jew or Gentile - > Are now one because they are made alive together because of Christ Jesus and being buried with him through his baptism, and being risen again from death unto life spiritually, by the holy spirit which is given by belief on the Lord Jesus Christ.​
Again, uncircumcision is associated with disobedience to God's law.

14 having wiped out the [i]handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

Verse 14: Because of what Jesus Christ has done for Jew and Gentile -> Jesus Christ has been able to wipe out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. (Talking about fulfilling the old testament law, which was a decree and standard to live by). Christ Jesus has taken it out of the way, and nailed it to the cross.​
This verse is not speaking about any laws being nailed to the cross. There is a difference between these two statements:

1.) You shall not commit murder.

2.) This person has been found guilty of murder.

The first is an example of a law that is for our own good while the second is an example of a handwritten ordinance that was against someone that was nailed to their cross in order to announce why they were being executed. In Matthew 27:37, it says that they put the charge that was against Jesus over his head, so what was nailed to people's crosses was not the laws themselves, but the charge that was against them. This serves as a perfect analogy for the list of our violations of God's law being nailed to Christ's cross and with him dying in our place to pay the penalty for our sins, but has nothing to do with ending any of God's laws, especially because they are all eternal (Psalms 119:160). In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to end any laws, but in order to redeem us from all lawlessness, so saying that there were any laws nailed to the cross undermines what he accomplished on the cross. The Greek word "dogma" means "edict, ordinance, or decree" and is never used by the Bible to refer to God's law.

Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Over this whole course of this Chapter 2 Paul is stressing to not let anyone cheat them, or deceive them from the truth they learned about God and the Lord Jesus Christ in the truth of the Gospel -> (Life, death, burial, resurrection of Christ.)

Paul tells them to be weary of worldly humanly wisdom that thinks of itself more highly than God and his wisdom that he provides through the Lord Jesus Christ, we learn that circumcision is made with out hands which has to deal with the heart and the mind of the believer, turning towards God. In Jesus Christ dwelled all the Godhead fully, and we are complete in Him -> when we believe -> we are indwelled by the holy spirit/spirit of Christ.

Paul warns them about human tradition, and human philosophy, He also explains how Christ Jesus disarmed and triumphs over Authority, and Earthly rulers -> though we do respect the government and law enforcement now today still, but Paul is telling them this -> The only one that is over you is Jesus Christ, he is the chief and first and for more ; that would also make God also the only Authority over someone in their life now today. -> Not to use this Authority on others because we as humans are not authority unless it has to do with like said -> King/President on earth, Government, Law Enforcement but Christ Jesus is above all. (Lord of Lords, King of Kings)

Paul also explains to the believers there they are buried in baptism in Christ Jesus and raised again through faith which is the work of God bring forth you out of your spiritual deadness, into being spiritually alive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AubreyM

Mar 22, 2021
Alabama
✟24,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Colossians Chapter 2: 16-23

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

Verse 16: Paul is telling the people of Colossians: Since Christ Jesus is over all authority, let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival, or a new moon or sabbaths

17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Paul is saying which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ​

4639 skiá – properly, the shadow of a looming presence; (figuratively) a spiritual reality (good or bad) relating to God's light or spiritual darkness.

18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Verse 18: Let no one cheat you (deprive you of Christ Jesus your foundation of the life, death. burial and resurrection - found in the truth of the GOspel) of your reward,

no one cheat you disqualify: 2603 katabrabeúō (from 2596 /katá, "down, according to," which intensifies 1018 /brabeúō, "acting as an umpire") – properly, a judge (arbiter) making the wrong call, depriving someone of their rightful prize and reward (used only in Col 2:18).
Verse 18: (Youngs Literal Translation) - let no one beguile you of your prize, delighting in humble-mindedness and in worship of the messengers, intruding into the things he hath not seen, being vainly puffed up by the mind of his flesh,

Paul is saying do not let anyone take away your foundation in Christ Jesus - by those who -> are delighting in humble-mindedness and in the worship of the messengers (Angels), intruding, into the things he has not seen, being vainly puffed up by the mind of his flesh.
Paul is telling the Colossians be careful of those who try to deceive you - by those who are puffed up by the mind of their flesh rather than the wisdom and spiritual understanding that comes from God.

Hope this helps you understand. (read comment #6)​

19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God.

Paul is adding on from verse 18, saying that those who are puffed up in their flesh are not holding fast to the Head (Christ Jesus) from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grow with the increase that is from God.​

20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations—

verse 20: Paul says afterwards of saying all of this -> If you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations?

If you die: 599 apothnḗskō (from 575 /apó, "away from," which intensifies 2348 /thnḗskō, "to die") – properly, die off (away from), focusing on the separation that goes with the "dying off (away from)."​
principles - 4747 stoixeíon– properly, fundamentals, like with the basic components of a philosophy, structure, etc.; (figuratively) "first principles," like the basic fundamentals of Christianity.

[4747 (stoixeíon) refers to "the rudiments with which mankind . . . were indoctrinated (before the time of Christ), i.e. the elements of religious training or the ceremonial precepts common alike to the worship of Jews and of Gentiles" (J. Thayer).

regulations - 1379. dogmatizó Definition: to decree, to subject oneself to an ordinance
Usage: I subject to regulations, decree; mid: I subject myself to regulations, am decree-ridden.

verse 20: Paul is saying if you have died with Christ from the basic philosophy, the rudiments with which mankind, of the world, why as though living in the world - do you subject yourself under authority of regulations made by men.​

21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,”

Verse 21: Paul explains -> Man says do not touch, do not taste, do not handle -> If you have died in Christ and raised again to new life, why do these regulations apply to you, if you are renewed in Christ Jesus who is the authority over us all, who said it is okay to drink or eat, or celebrate a new moon, or feast, or sabbath, and not let someone beguile you and try to steal you away from your foundation of belief in Christ Jesus, let no one judge you.​

Love God, and Love Others as Christ Jesus said.

22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men?

verse 22: Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle, -> which all things which perish with the using -> according to the commandments and doctrines of men?​

23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

Verse 23 Paul is saying in over all of the verses from 18-23 -> Men may make demands and commands over you, to follow, and what they are doing may seem to have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of (the Believers), but are no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

Self-imposed

religion: 1479 ethelothrēskeía (from 2309 /thélō, "desire" and 2356 /thrēskeía, "religion") – properly, self-willed religion, defined by the desires of the human will – which amounts to nothing! This form of "worship," which is accomplished "by self" (Souter), is merely a "will-worship," exalting the worshiper at God's expense (used only in Col 2:23).

neglect: 857 apheidía – (from 1 /A "not" and 5339 /pheídomai, "to spare") – properly, unsparing severity, referring to a "severe form of self-control" based on an ascetic, unsparing attitude" (L & N, 1, 88.90).

Of the body: 4983 sṓma – the physical body. 4983 (sṓma) is also used figuratively of the mystical Body of Christ (= the Church, the one people of God).

indulgence - 4140. plésmoné Usage: satisfaction, indulgence.

Upvote 0