✟117,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@PeterJames0510

It was the night before Christmas, and candlelight glowed warmly on the snow from a wooden cabin in Colorado. An evergreen pine tree stood tall and proud nearby in the forest. It glistened with a glitter of white snow and frost. The hunter looked at the tree with his axe and decided against cutting it down.

"No one will want one so tall anyway." He mumbled. He was about 50 miles from the nearest town and hadn't been there in a month. Pretty soon, he would have to take the trip into town to sell his trees and get food and supplies. He dreaded the idea, but Christmas was the biggest time of the year.

Last edited:

PeterJames0510

Blessed more than I deserve
Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Looking at his pickup truck, he decided he probably had enough materials. He had long ago allowed loneliness to be his friend, he had long ago realized that if he wanted to maintain both a livelihood and distance, he would need to sell his wares in town. He of course didn't really do the selling, he would just go to the local vendors and be their suppliers. So very many things; trees; fur; hunting gear or bullets he had made; food items. Of course, he still needed groceries and supplies.

Speaking of supplies, he'd better go to town now so the food items would not spoil and become unsellable. Ice only lasted for so long.

The trouble with Peter was that he had a longing hole in his heart that he allowed to be buried in the ground long ago. After the accident, he swore he would never go out on a boat again or watch anyone else go out on a boat. No, he wouldn't think about it.

Christmas eve. Rats, he thought to himself. There'd be holiday parties and people trying to get him to wear those funny red hats. As he put on his coat (the weather wasn't horribly cold), he also realized that maybe there would be vendors that were closed. It was no matter, though. There were always people doing last minute shopping. Town was only a few miles away and most of the vendors would close by noon. He could get his shopping done, hopefully with minimal interference.

Peter drove the truck forward, leaving behind his log cabin and started down the road to town. He hardly had any neighbors, though he had to always look at that ugly big cross someone put up on the side of the road. I mean, whatever happened to separation of church and state?

Coming up to a light, he stopped the truck. He looked to his left and to his right; not that anyone was coming. He quickly took out his wallet and thumbed through the pictures. One of his wife, one of his sister. He didn't have any kids ... well he would have but ...

But nothing. The light turned green and Peter decided this morning wasn't the time to lecture God on how He ruined his life. He just wanted to drop off his wares, get a few supplies, and be on his way. No one cared about him anyways; as it should be.

Peter put on the breaks; someone was walking alongside the road. Wearing darker colors. Didn't that person know any better? Could get themselves killed out here without reflectors while it was still dawn. Maybe he'd give this stranger a piece of his mind ...

***** NOTE, ANYONE CAN ASK TO JOIN THIS STORY THREAD. LET US KNOW AT THIS LOCATION: NEW RPG ideas 02.28.20

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lorena sighed in relief as she saw a truck coming down the road. She knew traveling would be risky, but it was something that had to be done. The small town of Canteberry Commons was the only place her old "drug" friends didn't know about. She wanted to get away, start over with a new life. Her black coat was warm enough, and walking helped. It had been years since she had been to Canteberry Commons. What was it...10 years back? She couldn't remember how far it was. If she had any money left, she could have got gas at the last station. Even though she did not have any money left, she thought she could make it. If only she could get to town, her aunt and uncle would surely help her...she hoped they would, if they still lived there...town had to be close...

"Thank goodness." She said. "My car ran out of gas a little ways back..." She looked at the man and instantly knew who he was. A flash of his sister came to her mind. It was her best friend back then...they had never officially met though.

"Um...do you have any gas for my car? I am trying to get into town...or just a ride?"

Upvote 0

PeterJames0510

Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Do you have a death wish or something?" Peter said, slowing the car but never really bringing it to a complete halt. "There's no sidewalk; only fools would walk this road. And next time, wear something a bit brighter. I almost didn't see you there."

Waiting for a moment, he slowed the car down to a complete stop and then said, "No passengers in this car for many years. My dog ain't even allowed in here. Besides, the passenger seat has food that can spoil. Maybe someone else will come by."

He felt like he should know this person; it didn't matter. She was just another traveler; he'd driven by dozens of them in the past year ... well, the ones who were brave enough to walk this road. They usually find their way ... he's not needed.

"Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?" Sam commented. He often talked to himself, his dog wouldn't listen to him. Guess it was difficult, he was hard of hearing. He immediately called someone he knew in Canteberry Commons ... to tell them the bad news. Unexpectedly, they were going to be hit with a snowstorm even though the previous forecast was to be clear skies. Gotta love doplar radar.

***** NOTE, ANYONE CAN ASK TO JOIN THIS STORY THREAD. LET US KNOW AT THIS LOCATION: NEW RPG ideas 02.28.20

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lorena looked at the food in the passenger seat. She couldn't remember the last time she ate, and it looked really good.

"It is my only coat." Lorena said. I can't help my car running out of gas... "And you have been the only one that has come down this road...can't I ride in the trailer or something?"

Upvote 0

PeterJames0510

Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For some reason Peter started looking into the distance; he got lost in thoughts, thoughts of very many people who have needs. Thoughts of his own neediness. Thoughts of his former family. Thoughts of ... no ...

He snapped himself out of it, he couldn't waste his time on the past. He looked back at the girl. He nodded his head. "I was left on the side of the road when I was much younger. Made me a better person; this is a character builder. Town is only 5 miles down the road. I'd think you'd make it by the afternoon." Plus, he wouldn't have to rearrange his inventory, especially since he really didn't have that much room.

And with that, he drove away.

Reactions: Mayflower1
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For some reason Peter started looking into the distance; he got lost in thoughts, thoughts of very many people who have needs. Thoughts of his own neediness. Thoughts of his former family. Thoughts of ... no ...

He snapped himself out of it, he couldn't waste his time on the past. He looked back at the girl. He nodded his head. "I was left on the side of the road when I was much younger. Made me a better person; this is a character builder. Town is only 5 miles down the road. I'd think you'd make it by the afternoon." Plus, he wouldn't have to rearrange his inventory, especially since he really didn't have that much room.

And with that, he drove away.

"Oh COME ON!!! REALLY!!!" Lorena rolled her eyes as he drove off, leaving her on the side of the road.

She stood there a moment, then started heading again towards town.

An eagle soared through the air above Peter's truck as snow started to fall softly to the ground. A glitter of hope shined in his eyes as he swooped down to give a hello.

In an instant, a pine tree fell in the middle of the road, blocking Peter's way.

Upvote 0

PeterJames0510

Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Peter just rolled his eyes and looked up. "What are you doing? Didn't I say I don't want to talk to you today? The woman back there is fine" he said to God, not really certain if he wasn't just talking to the ceiling.

He climbed out of the truck and felt the weight of the tree. It was heavy, nothing he could drag or move out of the way on his own.

He did have a chain in the truck; he supposed he could hook the chain to the truck and at least move the tree sideways and out of the way. He looked down to the ground and shook his head ... why wasn't anything being easy this morning?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Peter just rolled his eyes and looked up. "What are you doing? Didn't I say I don't want to talk to you today? The woman back there is fine" he said to God, not really certain if he wasn't just talking to the ceiling.

He climbed out of the truck and felt the weight of the tree. It was heavy, nothing he could drag or move out of the way on his own.

He did have a chain in the truck; he supposed he could hook the chain to the truck and at least move the tree sideways and out of the way. He looked down to the ground and shook his head ... why wasn't anything being easy this morning?

"This carrion is gooood." The eagle said aloud, eating out of one of the open crates in the front seat of Peter's truck. His eagle eye locked on Peter with intent. "I am not so much fond of the cooked stuff myself, but that girl looked like she might have wanted some."

Upvote 0

PeterJames0510

Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Peter was speechless; he supposed he was going crazy. He walked backward, carefully keeping his eye on the eagle. He slowly moved to the driver's side of the truck, opening the door, being careful not to alarm the eagle. He grabbed his shot gun in the back and pointed directly at the bird. He cautiously, yet skillfully pulled the trigger.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He opened up the chamber; empty. Completely empty. He always kept bullets in there; this surprised him.

"Did you say something, birdbrain?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mayflower1

Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Peter was speechless; he supposed he was going crazy. He walked backward, carefully keeping his eye on the eagle. He slowly moved to the driver's side of the truck, opening the door, being careful not to alarm the eagle. He grabbed his shot gun in the back and pointed directly at the bird. He cautiously, yet skillfully pulled the trigger.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He opened up the chamber; empty. Completely empty. He always kept bullets in there; this surprised him.

"Did you say something, birdbrain?"

"Hey isn't it illegal to shoot the national bird?" The eagle said. "And of course I talked. I wanted a ride into town." He said.

Upvote 0

PeterJames0510

Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Hey isn't it illegal to shoot the national bird?" The eagle said. "And of course I talked. I wanted a ride into town." He said.

"Okay. But you see, I don't have wings and you do. So, why do you need a ride?" dumbfounded Peter said while he was looking for more bullets in his bag. "You're an unwanted guest, stop eating my stuff - bird! Wow, that Tylenol I took this morning is really doing a number on me!"

He started trying to shoo the bird away with the butt end of his rifle, trying to get it to leave the truck.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Okay. But you see, I don't have wings and you do. So, why do you need a ride?" dumbfounded Peter said while he was looking for more bullets in his bag. "You're an unwanted guest, stop eating my stuff - bird! Wow, that Tylenol I took this morning is really doing a number on me!"

He started trying to shoo the bird away with the butt end of his rifle, trying to get it to leave the truck.

"Well, if you want to fly, then fine." The eagle said. "Thank you for the snack!" The eagle flew out and grew a greater size, stretching it's great wings in the sunlight.

"Hang on!!!!" The eagle said, grabbing Peter with his talons.

Through the air the eagle flew swooping in the air. Canteberry Commons could be seen in the distance, Christmas lights mirroring off the snow warmly.

"Hope you are comfortable." The eagle said. "And by the way, I would rather be called "Spirit of Christmas past." With that the eagle swooped near the ground, and dropped Peter in the soft snow at the beginning of town, landing beside him. Human size, his head was as big as the man's, and in front of them, kids were making forts and throwing snowballs in the road.

Upvote 0

PeterJames0510

Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Well, if you want to fly, then fine." The eagle said. "Thank you for the snack!" The eagle flew out and grew a greater size, stretching it's great wings in the sunlight.

"Hang on!!!!" The eagle said, grabbing Peter with his talons.

Through the air the eagle flew swooping in the air. Canteberry Commons could be seen in the distance, Christmas lights mirroring off the snow warmly.

"Hope you are comfortable." The eagle said. "And by the way, I would rather be called "Spirit of Christmas past." With that the eagle swooped near the ground, and dropped Peter in the soft snow at the beginning of town, landing beside him. Human size, his head was as big as the man's, and in front of them, kids were making forts and throwing snowballs in the road.

"You stupid bird brain! Where are you taking me?" Peter was incredulous. And he had never tried drugs before; so he wasn't certain what was happening to him. The bird was hanging on to him with his talons. He looked down and everything got incredibly smaller; the truck, the highway. He thought maybe he saw the cross and the woman who try to invade his truck down there too.

Peter landed softly nonetheless; it did not appear the bird meant to do him any harm. But he was in some ... familiar surroundings. "Spirit of Christmas past? What do you know about my past, bird-beak ... "

And then he heard it. The sound of his sister's voice, Lorelei. He turned around and saw her. "Peter, Peter! You have to see this snowman I'm making, I'm making it just for YOU!"

Tears started streaming down his cheeks. The voice of his sister melted his heart; it was like a memory. Maybe he was sleeping, maybe he could enjoy the memory and just "will" this evil spirit or bad pizza mushroom eagle out of his memory.

"Lorelei! Lorelei!" he shouted out loud; he ran over to her. She had her arms outstretched ... so did Peter. But, a more medium figure of a boy beat him to her and the boy said, "You've been out here doing this for me? Why are you so nice to me?" Lorelei placed some snow on top of her brother's nose and said "Cuz, you're my brother, silly? Do you like it?"

The adult Peter stood there watching, reliving the memory. This was Christmas, right before her 12th birthday and his 15th birthday. Right there ... by the corner market at Canteberry Commons, back in the day when it really was about the only country store in sight.

"Oh Lorelei! Can I tell you the things that are happening now with me? Can you hear me? I don't care if this is just a dream; I have so much to tell you!"

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"You stupid bird brain! Where are you taking me?" Peter was incredulous. And he had never tried drugs before; so he wasn't certain what was happening to him. The bird was hanging on to him with his talons. He looked down and everything got incredibly smaller; the truck, the highway. He thought maybe he saw the cross and the woman who try to invade his truck down there too.

Peter landed softly nonetheless; it did not appear the bird meant to do him any harm. But he was in some ... familiar surroundings. "Spirit of Christmas past? What do you know about my past, bird-beak ... "

And then he heard it. The sound of his sister's voice, Lorelei. He turned around and saw her. "Peter, Peter! You have to see this snowman I'm making, I'm making it just for YOU!"

Tears started streaming down his cheeks. The voice of his sister melted his heart; it was like a memory. Maybe he was sleeping, maybe he could enjoy the memory and just "will" this evil spirit or bad pizza mushroom eagle out of his memory.

"Lorelei! Lorelei!" he shouted out loud; he ran over to her. She had her arms outstretched ... so did Peter. But, a more medium figure of a boy beat him to her and the boy said, "You've been out here doing this for me? Why are you so nice to me?" Lorelei placed some snow on top of her brother's nose and said "Cuz, you're my brother, silly? Do you like it?"

The adult Peter stood there watching, reliving the memory. This was Christmas, right before her 12th birthday and his 15th birthday. Right there ... by the corner market at Canteberry Commons, back in the day when it really was about the only country store in sight.

"Oh Lorelei! Can I tell you the things that are happening now with me? Can you hear me? I don't care if this is just a dream; I have so much to tell you!"

"She cannot hear you, Peter. This is just a memory." The eagle said. "This is the time before you turned callous and unfeeling towards everybody around you and still had Christmas in your heart. Do you remember?"

A young Lorena in an angel outfit came running over to Lorelai. A big grin was on her 5 year old face, and she looked up at Lorelai with admiration.

"Lorelai, the Nativity play is tonight!!!!! I hope to be Mary one day too, like you." She smiled brightly and gave her a hug. Bye Lorelai!!!! See you tonight!!!!" She ran off to her mom as she ushered her home for Christmas festivities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PeterJames0510

Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"I don't totally remember her; but I feel like I should" he told the eagle. Then he realized the absurdity of talking to a bird. Watching the scene unfold before him, he didn't realize how much she looked up to him, yet was also independent and was her own person. Lorelai wasn't one to be messed with on her opinions. whatever they were.

At the spirit's words, Peter scrunched his forehead. "Please, don't patronize me. I wasn't the one who took her away from me. You don't know me, spirit. You don't get to tell me how callous I am when ... when ..." He looked up in the sky.

"Just shut up and let me enjoy this moment for once in my pathetic life."

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"I don't totally remember her; but I feel like I should" he told the eagle. Then he realized the absurdity of talking to a bird. Watching the scene unfold before him, he didn't realize how much she looked up to him, yet was also independent and was her own person. Lorelai wasn't one to be messed with on her opinions. whatever they were.

At the spirit's words, Peter scrunched his forehead. "Please, don't patronize me. I wasn't the one who took her away from me. You don't know me, spirit. You don't get to tell me how callous I am when ... when ..." He looked up in the sky.

"Just shut up and let me enjoy this moment for once in my pathetic life."

"God is always the first one blamed when someone dies." The eagle said softly. "When in fact He sent His Son to die for man."

For a while they watched them play. It was a time of innocence and happiness between the two of them. Time seemed to stand still, and felt like a bowl of chicken soup for a cold soul to watch.

"Your sister sure did have a special spirit about her." The spirit said after a time. "The Father delights in her presence even more so then you and I."

Upvote 0

PeterJames0510

Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A few scenes also passed in front of him; scenes of his sister taking care of him when he was sick, fishing out on the boat, opening presents at Christmas.

But one particular scene seemed to stick out.

"I'm just stupid I guess" Lorelai said.

"No you're not; that college is stupid for not accepting you. There's plenty of colleges out there that will take you."

"Maybe this is a sign from God that I should have applied to the Christian university?" Lorelai guessed.

"Well, wherever you are supposed to go - you are honest, smart, and sweet. A perfect young lady!"

"Don't put me up on a pedestal, Peter." He was taken aback by this comment. He said "But you're my best friend, sister." But for the first time, she seemed to confront him with his apparent idolatry of heart. And while that scene wasn't necessarily so heartwarming, it reminded him again and again how she always inspired him and aspired to go deeper in her walk with the Lord.

Suddenly, the scene changed. It was his wedding day to a young gal named Spring who would be best friends with Lorelai. But then again, who wasn't a best friend to Lorelai ... she would make friends with anyone, no matter who they were. Spring was a feisty redhead, yet sweet in all her ways. Unfortunately, when Spring and Lorelai were together - they would plot and plan on getting him to go deeper with God when he just was happy that he walked an aisle when he was 17. Still, this day was one of the happiest to him. He wasn't quite sure why Lorelai seemed to push him in Spring's direction; maybe she was tired of his clinginess!

He turned to the eagle. "Curse you; you're not the spirit of Christmas past. You're the spirit of Christmas torture. Take me away from this place, I don't want to live here anymore."

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A few scenes also passed in front of him; scenes of his sister taking care of him when he was sick, fishing out on the boat, opening presents at Christmas.

But one particular scene seemed to stick out.

"I'm just stupid I guess" Lorelai said.

"No you're not; that college is stupid for not accepting you. There's plenty of colleges out there that will take you."

"Maybe this is a sign from God that I should have applied to the Christian university?" Lorelai guessed.

"Well, wherever you are supposed to go - you are honest, smart, and sweet. A perfect young lady!"

"Don't put me up on a pedestal, Peter." He was taken aback by this comment. He said "But you're my best friend, sister." But for the first time, she seemed to confront him with his apparent idolatry of heart. And while that scene wasn't necessarily so heartwarming, it reminded him again and again how she always inspired him and aspired to go deeper in her walk with the Lord.

Suddenly, the scene changed. It was his wedding day to a young gal named Spring who would be best friends with Lorelai. But then again, who wasn't a best friend to Lorelai ... she would make friends with anyone, no matter who they were. Spring was a feisty redhead, yet sweet in all her ways. Unfortunately, when Spring and Lorelai were together - they would plot and plan on getting him to go deeper with God when he just was happy that he walked an aisle when he was 17. Still, this day was one of the happiest to him. He wasn't quite sure why Lorelai seemed to push him in Spring's direction; maybe she was tired of his clinginess!

He turned to the eagle. "Curse you; you're not the spirit of Christmas past. You're the spirit of Christmas torture. Take me away from this place, I don't want to live here anymore."

"Your bitterness over your sister's death has left you in pain for far too long. Whether you continue to live in that is going to be up to you, but know your actions affect others as well."

Like wind, the wedding blew away, and the next scene showed a sherrif at Peter and Spring's door carrying the grave news of Lorelai's death.

Upvote 0

PeterJames0510

Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Your bitterness over your sister's death has left you in pain for far too long. Whether you continue to live in that is going to be up to you, but know your actions affect others as well."

Like wind, the wedding blew away, and the next scene showed a sherrif at Peter and Spring's door carrying the grave news of Lorelai's death.

"I'm sorry, Peter. You know, you can stay with us while you sort all of this out."

"No, no. No. You're wrong. Spring and Lorelai are coming here tonight. We're doing fireworks and a cookout. You've come with bad news to the wrong house. How dare you. How dare you come here and lie to me."

The Sheriff shook his head. "No, we know who they are. They could swim, but they didn't have a chance. They were too far out. Someone saw, but we didn't get out there in time. I'm sorry."

"And the baby?" The Sheriff shook his head knowing the dread awful truth.

"Who's going to be here for Christmas, then?"

"I'm sorry. I'll ask my wife to come over, maybe she can help."

"No. No. No! I want Lorelai and Spring right here, right now, alive. Talking to me. That's what I want, Sheriff!"

"I can't ..."

Peter was a ball of grief on the floor, the eagle simply present with him. "Why? Why? I couldn't say goodbye; I couldn't give them anything else. Both of them. What did I do so wrong that God was mad at me? Huh? Huh, Spirit of Christmas past? He gives me a lonely Christmas that year, and I'm supposed to dress up like Santa Claus for the rest of my life?"

Upvote 0